“Great setting near hiking, walking, and Eagles's Nest” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Great setting near hiking, walking, and Eagles's Nest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Very clean hotel with spacious rooms. Huge bathroom with large walk in shower and separate soaking tub. Heated floors were a bonus. Incredible views and excellent service throughout hotel. We had a room with a fireplace, but that took away from view as it was almost centered in room. Spa is very nice as is indoor outdoor pool. Definitely need a car if staying here. Internet and parking are extra. Others complained about price of brunch and while it was expensive it was very good.Overall this hotel is expensive and you can stay in area for a lot less if you're okay with giving up on luxury, but if you want to indulge then stay here. Pool, spa and gym all included and open late.

Room Tip: Fireplace limits window view in rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel has everything. The scenery could not be better, Alpine meadows and huge craggy peaks. The hotel can't take credit for the natural beauty, but they can for the stunning modern architecture, which combines understated, yet elegant, modernity and beautiful natural materials, which work so well in the setting. The rooms are large and comfortable, all with views. Among the many facilities on offer, my favourite was the heated, outdoor pool, where even on a chilly day you can lie out looking up at the Kehlstein in all it's sever majesty. I read a couple of reviews that were critical of the hotel staff. I have to say this was far from my experience. In fact we remarked on just how well trained, pleasant and efficient they are. We didn't eat in all the restaurants, but the main restaurant had excellent food and the snacks at the bar were also good. I most certainly will be back and I hope quite soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

This was my third visit to this hotel, and I will certainly return. It surely is on of the most amazing mountain resorts. The setting is stunning, and hotel does it full justice. Amazing place to spend holidays.
Although several years old, it still feels like recently build. Everything is really in perfect order. Rooms are very comfortable and spacious. We were staying in the executive studio, which I would recommend, as they face mountains and provide amazing views. (deluxe rooms face inner courtyard). There are three types of studios, all basically the same, the difference being, that ones on the first floor have large balconies, while the ones on second and third floor have either fully panoramic windows, or panoramic windows with an extra fireplace located in front of the glass wall.
The hotel charges rooms on the third floor extra for supposedly better views, but generally there is no difference between second and third floors. Rooms on the third floor also come with a fireplace (although are officially called panoramic). I've stayed in all of these rooms, and it basically depends on your preference. In any case the views from the rooms are stunning, though rooms in the west wing come with slightly better views.`
This is a resort, which means that hotel provides enough amenities for guest not to have to leave the property. There is an amazing spa, together with both indoor and a smaller heated outdoor pool; fitness, several restaurants, golf course, mountain bikes for rent, segway tours, organized hiking tours, library, even helicopter tours directly from the hotel.
However, it is also perfectly located to explore the stunning Berchtesgaden/Salzburg region, which has so much to offer. And we used it as a great place to stay during Salzburg festival.
Due to it's secluded location high in the mountains, one does need a car to move around, anything else would be very impractical.
Although I highly recommend this place, there are several drawbacks: the breakfast room is definitely not large enough the handle the number of guest staying in the hotel, this becomes really problematic on summer weekends, when hotel is usually fully booked. The same applies to sun deck, on warm days it's really difficult to find a place around the pool. We also had a problem when checking out on Sunday having to wait for our car and luggage for almost half an hour.
Although "private dining" comes with very nice service, the food is not very exciting (tried it couple of times, and never really enjoyed it fully)
What also slightly spoiled my stay was that as Intercontinental Ambassador, I was "upgraded" only to find out, that this upgrade meant moving from second to third floor (this I found to be one of the best upgrade scams I've experienced so far). Apart from that, wifi was not working properly in our room, once reported, we were told that we will not have to pay for it. At the check out I was presented the bill with 60 EUR for internet (instead of 90) - I was told that I was charged for partial usage. This I found almost insulting.
However, I still recommend this place and will certainly return myself

Room Tip: Look for executive rooms on west side. Have better views, and better connection to both restaurants...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

great hotel,fast check in-check out, comfortable staty,very helpful concierge,the staff is amazing,the out door activity is more than amazing,the room is huge and comfortable,the restaurant is good,the mountain spa is really really great you must try it, the room service is fast,the housekeeper is also fast and they put a great touch such as chocolate when they clean , definitely will come back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We have been to this Hotel about 6 times, we even spent New Years Eve there once, but they just don't get it. It is a beautiful hotel in a great setting. But the service is really not up to the standard and the food gets worse. We went to the bar to have lunch there and waited for 20 minutes for a waiter to come. The fist day I found a dead fly in our shower. I thought that maybe it flew in after the room was prepared so I placed it in a corner to see what happens. And guess what? It was still there the next day. Also 25€ per day for WLAN is highly overpriced. So I think, this was the last time we went there. Next time it's back to Schloss Elmau.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Berchtesgaden Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Dear Eddala2004,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

CJ
Case Manager
IHG Care
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

This was our third stay. 5 star with a personality of a luxury lodge. The rooms more like a junior suite beautifulky decorated with private terrace looking into the valley. Caring and personal service with food and beverage to match. 8 times a year they stage a lobby concert which we enjoyed immensely. Drinks around the huge centre fire place can't be more romantic. Refreshing sleep with the pure mountain air and pure mineral water from their own well.
All of thie onay 2 hours from Munich and 25 minutes from Salzburg.

Room Tip: Stay when they stage the complimentary concerts
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at the Intercontinental for 4 days in May for a business meeting and could not have been more pleased with the experience. The hotel has great style, and I felt like I was staying in a chic mountain lodge. The rooms and bathrooms were gorgeous. The setting was really incredible, and the staff helped indicate where I could go on trail runs in the morning, I had some spectacular views. The restaurant was consistently amazing, even when food was served buffet style. But what impressed me most of all is that for such a large hotel, they have been able to achieve the personalization of a boutique hotel - I felt that as a guest, I was very important and customer service penetrated down to every small interaction that I had with any member of the staff. This really made me feel special and I would return to the Intercontinental at any opportunity!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Berchtesgaden Resort? Share your experiences!