“Cute, No Frills Hotel with a Good Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Wittelsbach

You added Hotel Wittelsbach to your Saves list
Hotel Wittelsbach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Maximilianstrasse 16, 83471 Berchtesgaden, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Denver, CO
“Cute, No Frills Hotel with a Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a hotel of hits and misses. Let’s start out with the positives.

- Great location right in the center of town. Easily walkable to many restaurants, shops, and sites.

- Amazing views! We faced the mountains and the valley and it was picturesque—like staring at a postcard.

- We had a balcony which made the views I just mentioned even better. Yes, you’re overlooking one of the main streets in town and you can hear the cars drive-by, but it wasn’t that bad (but I’ve lived in Chicago and New York so maybe I’m used to it).

- The staff is very nice and helpful. We needed dinner suggestions and they gave us a few to choose from, we needed directions to an attraction and they provided accurate ones. Also, no language barrier whatsoever.

Now, let’s talk about things that need improvement.

- My single bed collapsed when I laid on it. I’m not overweight and two of the pegs just broke-off (I think previously damaged by another guest). Since we were only there for 1-night I didn’t make it into a big deal and just moved the bed onto the floor, but neither of the beds in the room were very sturdy.

- Parking is tricky. Yes, they have about a dozen spaces for guests but they fill-up fast, are very tiny, and difficult to get into. They also charge you $5 per day for parking.

- They still use keys, which I suppose could be charming, but you have to lock yourself into your room at night (which seems slightly dangerous) and is just not as convenient as modern key cards.

- The bathrooms are a relic from the 60s, maybe the 70s. Very, very old. The shower was small, had poor water pressure, and the temperature controls were hypersensitive (one millimeter difference between water from a glacier and boiling hot sun water).

- The wireless Internet was poor and only allowed one device to be on it at a time.

For the price, this place is decent and the staff was great. You’ll love the location and the views, just don’t expect to get a ton of frills after that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lebanon, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon tour of Germany. It was a very cute hotel. It is located on the top of a hill, but there is a trail that takes you right from the train station to the hotel! Now if you have heavy luggage like we did going up the trail with it may not be the best solution. You can take a taxi to it for 8 euro. But it was perfect for our walk down and back when we did our tour of the Eagles Nest, and even when returning to the train station with our luggage going down the hill was fine. It was a great trail that I would definatly recommend finding for walking on foot! We arrived early for check in and our room wasn't ready, however, we had reservations for the Eagles Nest tour and needed to leave our luggage. The lady told us just to leave it in the lobby and it was safe. I do wish they would have had a room we could have stored our luggage in while we were out. But we left the luggage in the lobby and when we returned everything was still there and nothing had been tampered with. Thank goodness. Checking in the guy who helped us was really friendly. He helped us pick out where to go for dinner and drinks. Our room was nice and clean. The bed was comfy. The breakfast came with the room rate and it was fine. Nothing special but for breakfast it was fine. Overall, the charm of the hotel as well as the location being close to restaurants and shops were great.

Seville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I loved this little hotel. It had a very elegant stairway with white marble steps and red carpeting. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Our room for 3 was spacious and had a balcony with spectacular views. There was a nice breakfast room with a good breakfast buffet. When we were leaving the proprietor came out of his office and warmly thanked us for staying with them.

When I booked, I thought the hotel was within walking distance of the train station but didn't realize it was uphill and it would have been a difficult walk with luggage so we took a taxi.

We were able to purchase a card from the hotel for $5 per person which entitled us to free bus transportation for the duration of our stay. And the $ were refunded when we turned the cards in at check out.

The hotel lobby is locked at 10 pm but can be entered with room key.

I would definitely stay there again if I am lucky enough to return to Berchtesgaden.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view if possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Golden, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel is centrally located in the community, offering great access to the various shops and cafes. It was a part of a cycle package but the owner was not very cycle friendly. Okay, he wasn't friendly at all. The room was clean and accommodating. The breakfast was basic. According to our German compatriots, though, the hotel cheaped out on the breakfast foods and the selection. I would visit the community again but not this hotel.

Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I and a friend of my wife's booked one room for three at Hotel Wittelsbach in Berchtesgaden for three days in September 2012 through booking.com. After receiving confirmation from booking.com, I sent the hotel a separate e-mail stating that we needed "two separate bedrooms." Johann Gfoller, the manager, replied that "your reservations are fixed." But when we arrived at the hotel, we had been given one room with a bedroom connected to a living room with a pull out sofa. There was no door between the bedroom and living room, so there was no privacy for my wife and I , and my wife's friend. I went down to the front desk and showed Mr. Gfoller our e-mail exchange. He insisted that the room he had for us was "two separate bedrooms." I told him there had been a misunderstanding on his part. He was adamant that he was in the right, and I, the customer, was wrong. He was totally unsympathetic. But he offered to give us another room, exactly like the first one, except that there was a door between the bedroom and living room which had a cot, not a bed. Then he gave me the kicker: he would charge us an additional 35 Euros per night. Just because the room had an extra door. All three in our party were very upset. But it was a Thursday night and we could not find other accommodations in Berchtesgarden at that point. So Mr. Gfoller had us over a barrel.

In addition, Mr. Gfoller was rude to our friend, dismissively calling her "lady" when she came down to complain about our accommodations, and jabbing his finger at the reservation he had for us to emphasize he, and not we, were correct.

Mr. Gfoller's management style was reflected elsewhere in the hotel. A picture in the dining room was crooked on the wall. The young woman in the breakfast room shook her head in annoyance when I pointed out the scrambled eggs were cold. She had not lit the heating element under the pan. The hot water radiator in our room went off during the night inexplicably.

The price we ended up paying at Hotel Wittelsbach was nearly the same as what we paid at the Atlas Post Hotel in the center of Garmisch Partenkirchen. But the Atlas was wonderfully managed, with the best buffet breakfast we have ever had in Europe. There were four staffers working to keep the food hot and fresh, and clean up dishes. There my wife and I alone had a huge room with two beds, and then a second bedroom, behind a door, with a queen size bed. All for the same price we would have paid if we had booked a double at the Hotel Wittelsbach.

The only saving grace of our stay at Wittelsbach was the kind assistance we received from Franz, the young man at the front desk, who was the polar opposite in attitude and kindness from his boss, Mr. Gfoller.

Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a balcony room that had great views of the mountains. As other have noted the decor is a bit out of date, but we found the bed to be comfortable. We didn't find the path to go up the hill from the train station so we took a bus and it would have dropped us off right in front of the hotel if we'd known where to get off at, but the bus driver told us to get off way to early. Once we found the path to the train station the next day I'm glad I didn't lug my stuff up it as it's very steep. I found the hotel staff to be helpful and they all spoke great English.
The only issue I had was noise from the streets sounded like the windows were open, but they werent. Most of the night the streets were quiet enough, but our second night the people next to us were yelling back and forth with someone in the street at 3am which was very annoying!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Wittelsbach? Share your experiences!