This is a hotel of hits and misses. Let’s start out with the positives.
- Great location right in the center of town. Easily walkable to many restaurants, shops, and sites.
- Amazing views! We faced the mountains and the valley and it was picturesque—like staring at a postcard.
- We had a balcony which made the views I just mentioned even better. Yes, you’re overlooking one of the main streets in town and you can hear the cars drive-by, but it wasn’t that bad (but I’ve lived in Chicago and New York so maybe I’m used to it).
- The staff is very nice and helpful. We needed dinner suggestions and they gave us a few to choose from, we needed directions to an attraction and they provided accurate ones. Also, no language barrier whatsoever.
Now, let’s talk about things that need improvement.
- My single bed collapsed when I laid on it. I’m not overweight and two of the pegs just broke-off (I think previously damaged by another guest). Since we were only there for 1-night I didn’t make it into a big deal and just moved the bed onto the floor, but neither of the beds in the room were very sturdy.
- Parking is tricky. Yes, they have about a dozen spaces for guests but they fill-up fast, are very tiny, and difficult to get into. They also charge you $5 per day for parking.
- They still use keys, which I suppose could be charming, but you have to lock yourself into your room at night (which seems slightly dangerous) and is just not as convenient as modern key cards.
- The bathrooms are a relic from the 60s, maybe the 70s. Very, very old. The shower was small, had poor water pressure, and the temperature controls were hypersensitive (one millimeter difference between water from a glacier and boiling hot sun water).
- The wireless Internet was poor and only allowed one device to be on it at a time.
For the price, this place is decent and the staff was great. You’ll love the location and the views, just don’t expect to get a ton of frills after that.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Wittelsbach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wittelsbach Hotel Berchtesgaden