“Himalaya is the wrong name. Steppe or valley would be more appropriate” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Himalaya

Himalaya
Marktplatz 5, Ulm, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Improve this listing
Ranked #82 of 195 Restaurants in Ulm
Cuisines: Indian
Warsaw, Poland
“Himalaya is the wrong name. Steppe or valley would be more appropriate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

When visiting Bavaria (Legoland, to be precise) my wife and I had a craving for Indian food. Since there was nothing we could find in Gunzberg, we travelled to Ulm to the Himalaya Indian restaurant.'Tis a pity that we did. Firstly, and this is no fault of the restaurant, there is parking nearby, but only for a maximum of one hour (1.8 Euro), so if you intend a lengthy meal, be ready with your Euro small change and the willingness to leave your family/friends every 55 minutes, although having tasted the food, 55 minutes is more than enough.
We were there at lunchtime on a weekday, There were two waiters on duty, one who was reasonably friendly, and one who was downright surly. We ordered and after quite some time, and a trip to the parking meter, the popadams arrived. These had been taken out of the packet and burnt in a pan, no oil, just burnt and served up. The children had the so called kid's meal which was spicy (we specifically asked for no spices) chicken pakora and chips. The chips were the best part of the entire meal. By the time the rest of the meal appeared we were starving so were very distressed to discover that the Aloo Gobhi (potatoes and cauliflower) had miraculously become Daal Aloo (lentils and potatoes), or rather Daal Aloo and lots of salt. The Chicken Korma was also liberally dosed with salt and the rice was stone cold. The final kick in the crutch was the bill. A staggering 40 Euro.
We might have had the bad luck to have been there on a bad day when the chef was feeling particularly anti-customer, but both my wife and I had the distinct feeling that we were being fobbed off with third rate quality Indian food because, being foreign "we wouldn't know any better".
If you get a craving for Indian food in this part of Germany, better to travel 100km to Stuttgart then waste you money, time and taste buds here.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Arabic first
Ulm, Germany
“Only if absolutely desperate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We lived in London for many years and sometimes the craving for Indian food is too strong. We had been at the himalaya twice; the first one was sort of okay and acceptable if the craving would become too much, the second one was horrible. It is definitely not too difficult to prepare a decent curry paste so I really do not understand why the results are so poor. I would suggest to reduce the size of the overall menu and concentrate on offering a selection of good quality ingredients, authentic Indian dishes. We would become loyal customers!

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai
“Good place and very good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The food is a bit expensive but considering getting Indian food in ULM, it was very good. Its a very pleasant place with a bunch of very helpful people.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Ok but not amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband and I were really craving Indian food and chose Himilaya for its location right next to the Rathaus and because it remains open quite late during the week. I had a seafood curry and he had a lamb curry. My food was really bland and boring (for Indian food) and he could barely eat his because it was so hot. The service was good and they have really good Mango lassi but I wasn't really impressed overall.

Visited April 2012
Germany
“Love the lunch buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Directly across from the noteworthy astronomical clock on the Rathaus, this restaurant is very conveniently located if you're downtown. I like to sit in the front room in front of the large windows and watch the people and tour groups passing by the Rathaus.
Whenever I'm in town for lunchtime a feel drawn to this restaurant. I love the lunch buffet, especially the Saturday menu. There are not too many Indian locations downtown to compete with, but I always enjoy the food, so can't complain.
The food is not real spicy since Germans typically don't like spicy food, but you can add pepper sauce if you'd like to give it more kick. If you order from the menu however, I believe you can request more authentic levels of spice. The menu is pricier and takes longer than the buffet, so I rarely do.

• Visited January 2012