“Centrally located but average service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Merit

Save Saved
You added Hotel Merit to your Saves list
Hotel Merit
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tubinger Strasse 17B, 70178 Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany (Rathaus)   |
Ranked #109 of 154 hotels in Stuttgart
Hong Kong, China
“Centrally located but average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Spent a few nights in this hotel during a business trip. The hotel is a bit outdated, with very basic furniture and no air conditionning (fans were provided instead).
The breakfast is not that great, you get bored quite quickly of having breakfast at the hotel.
However it is perfectly located at the center of Stuttgart! The main train station is just 10min walk and subway and intercity train station is just 5min walk from the Hotel.
It's a bit loud outside at night, butif you don't mind late night parties, you can have a good sleep. I'd suggest that the hotel uses triple acoustic isolation for its windows for the comfort of its customers.

I'd give it another try next time I visit Stuttgart. It's not that bad for a city hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. located on the main street. It's a bit loud, so I'd advice that you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I chose this hotel when another hotel in the same chain was full as i was told by booking.com that Merit was equivalent. it was not. Toenail clippings in the bathtub and on the floor of the room, stained carpets, broken lamps, no telephones in the room and no where on the website does it say no telephones, unhelpful nite staff. The floor I was on was very noisy so it was difficult to sleep. Breakfast coffee was cold and when I aked for a new cup, the server first poured the coffee on her fingers to test it, and then gave it to me to drink. I did not drink it. When i tried to check out early, the manager threatened to charge me for the entire booking, but finally relented when I mentioned the above problems. This hotel is not even a 1 star. The only bright spot was the free wifi as promised

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

clean, quiet, good price for stuttgart....nice breakfast and close to metro (walking 4-5 minutes

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Varna, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

don´t expect 4 stars for it´s not .... but if you like to have a great location ....for a good value... then this is probably first choice....

the rooms worn and dated but clean and big

the service was very personal and always very polite and with a smile....

the breakfast better than some 4 star hotels....

will definitly stay there again if i need a conveniant room in the middle of stuttgart for less money.... with great breakfast and good service

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Rawa Mazowiecka, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I stayed in this hotel few times, mainly because its location. There are few good resteurants in the proximity. Hotel istelf is ok. The breakfast however might be better choice for this price. The rooms at the last flor do not have bathroom inside. Below levels are ok. Staff is friendly. I tried few hotels in the proximity and for this value I think it is the best one.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

I didn't know how I felt about this hotel when I walked in. It's old, it's small, it's smells a little funky when you first get in the front door. The carpets are threadbare and have lots of white bleach stains, and the furniture is a mishmash of stuff collected from what looks like the early 80s. I didn't even use my pillow it felt so old. The comforting thing about this hotel, however, was how freaky clean it was. The sheets were blindingly white. The whole place had this feeling of being scrubbed to the bone, just the way I like a hotel to be. I mean, this is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever been in, and for 30 euro a night! I would have paid 30 euro just for the bathroom. It was sparkling clean, enormous, and had an HUGE bathtub perfect for luxuriating after long walks around the city. I decided that I am definitely a fan of this place. My room was huge, too--not cramped at all. The location is great, the breakfast is generous and good (and included), and that cleanliness cannot be beat as far as I am concerned! Very impressive.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I stayed at Merit Hotel in the first decade of March 2010 for 1 night - I needed a hotel for a night 'cause I arrived late in the evening and my plane was next day in the morning. Merit is a very good 3 star hotel. It's very centrally located, close to everything, 200 m to Stadtmitte S-Bahn station, just few steps from the end of Koenigs Allee (the main shopping ang walking street in the center of Stuttgart) and 10 min walk from Hauptbahnhof (Central Station). I stayed at room # 305 facing on courtyard because I'm crazy about noise and asked to give me a quiet room. The room was really big with 2 single beds and 1 sofa (I stayed alone). There was a fridge and TV set. The bathroom was big too. The room was clean and convenient, also it was far from elevator in the end of the corridor. I heard sounds from the neighbor room just a couple of times so nothing bothered me during my short stay. Also the hotel offers good breakfast with varieties of hams, cheese, bread, juice, etc. It was really good. You can believe me or not - I spent only 27 Eu/night for the stay with breakfast (all taxes included!!!). It was Super - the hotel was really good especially for this money!! I will definitely stay there again when I come back to Stuttgart!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Merit? Share your experiences!