1. Check in was efficient, but the room not ready when I arrived at 1230 (it is 300 check-in so not their fault) and I was told that the room would be ready in an hour. I asked where I could have lunch after my overnight flight and I was directed to Zeppolino for lunch. Make sure you ask if breakfast is included in the rate since they neglected to tell me mine was included.
2. I returned in an hour and the room was ready. On the first floor facing away from the train station and major road so it was extremely quiet. My initial inspection was that It was clean, with good tv, lots of channels, good sized desk and two comfortable chairs. Bathroom was spotless, shower water pressure was excellent. Some of the toiletries were missing; the TV speaker in the bathroom was broken and the towel heater did not work. Bed was on the hard side with no pillow top. It took a night to get use to it. The pillows are all feather. I was so tired it did not matter but this could be an issue for some.
3. Lobby area – I really liked the lobby area. It was very comfortable and the servers were spot on with the service.
4. Fitness Center – located on the fifth floor in the Day spa. Don’t expect much, very basic with a few cardio machines and a single multi-position weight machine. The photo on line is basically it.
5. Lunch at Zeppolino’s – incredibly overpriced. There were 5 people in the restaurant and lunch took 35 minutes to prepare. Hamburger was €23 (the menu on line has the wrong price) and was just too large, overcooked beyond belief and not tasty. I did like all of the flavors of the toppings with the spicy jalapeño peppers, lettuce, tomato, bacon, cheese, roasted onions and pickles. The Potato wedges were undercooked and still hard on the inside. Overall this was incredibly disappointing experience and for €35
6. Breakfast on level Z – I almost wish it was not included in my rate. It was a rendition of pathetic, bad cruise liner buffet. Fifteen minutes after opening, with less than 10 people in the restaurant, the eggs were gone, most of the salmon was gone, and the rest looked badly picked over. I asked if I could order from the menu and then it required over 20 minutes receiving 2 poached eggs. I could not wait so asked for a simple coffee to go.
7. Dinner – As much as I felt the lunch was overpriced and the service was slow at breakfast, Zeppolino’s at dinner had another gear to downshift. The salad of greens with poultry livers and potato dressing was fair. The greens were drenched in dressing and the livers were ice cold. Then the steak and onions arrived and if this were served in the US it would have been sent back. For this price (~€36-40), I would have expected a descent sized steak, but this looked like the kitchen ran out of food and was cutting steaks in half to serve. Although it was perfectly cooked to medium-rare, and the flavor was good, the highlight of the dish was the onions, again, I am not sure what they do in Stuttgart, but they are experts in grilled onions. Then the bottom fell out and dessert arrived. One word comes to mind, inedible. The sweets were about as bad as possible, just horrible. Given the option I would never spend this kind of money for this lack of quality.
Ratings are for the hotel part. The restaurants would receive all "1"s for bad service, quality, value