“Value for money is a big issue...” 3 of 5 stars

Willy-Mayer-Brucke, 74072 Heilbronn, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Heilbronn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Value for money is a big issue...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Insel is a nice hotel, placed next to Heilbronn's center which is good since you don't have to drive to be there. Although the rooms are a bit old, they are descent and clean. The breakfast was ok with enough choices for everyone.

All would be fine, if this hotel was charging its rooms in half price than they currently do. The value for money is the big negative. The only reason I can think of its high price is not what the hotel has to offer, but what the competition (the most of the other hotels in Heilbronn) does not offer (Heilbronn is a difficult place to find a descent hotel).

Last but for many not least you have to pay for Wi-Fi which for me in year 2012 is nearly outrageous.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Rooms are. Bit old, not modernized, have to pay for wifi, breakfast is on the poor side and hotel refurbishment is quite disruptive. Probably better than most other hotels in Heilbronn though, but value for money...... Probably not. Worst gym I ever seen in a hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I have done 25 reviews on Trip Advisor over the last two years. I have never rated any place with 1 star. This is my first.

My family just completed one night at the Insel Hotel in Heilbronn where we were visiting other family in the local area. The hotel is currently under rennovation with a lot of construction in the lobby and main areas. The rooms are functional and clean; I would rate them 3 stars. However, the service was incredibly bad.

Six months ago I had booked two connecting rooms so that my family of four could be together in the hotel. Two weeks ago Amex Platinum Travel confirmed the connecting rooms were still on the reservation by calling the hotel directly. However, when we got to the hotel we were told that we did not have connecting rooms. After protesting they acknowledged that the connecting rooms were noted in the reservation but not guaranteed. After further protest because they had given verbal assurance during both the time of booking and upon confirmation two weeks ago, they acknowledged that they had given our rooms to another family who were staying longer than us so they wanted to accommodate that more profitable reservation.

In the end, they basically said the following: (1) It is what it is and we should be happy with the rooms that were provided to us --which were basic rooms even though we had reserved a junior suite connecting to a double room (2) No apology for the change -- they took no ownership of the problem (3) Upon looking at my kids they said the kids look old enough to be in a room by themselves implying that my request was not required (4) No offer to make this right.

Bottom line, you can not trust that the Insel hotel or staff will have any empathy for your family or actually commit to what is in a reservation. They will easily trade one customer off if another customer is more profitable and they have no sense of professional business practices around how you take care of a customer.

The Insel hotel is officially off my list of hotels that I would consider staying at.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I really feel for the team trying to run and maintain this traditional hotel. However, its 4 star glory is fading so fast that you cannot cover up the lack of substance anymore. I was given a room with a convertible sleeping couch as bed (!!! Never had that before), sqhower heads over crusted with limescale, wall decoration coming off and covered with sheets in the hallway, halfempty ie used before coffee jugs served at breakfast. Simply poor.

The quality of staff is outstanding however. That is why I feel for them.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Lovely hotel; clean, extremely pleasant staff who will take care of your every need. Great location close to the town centre and on the River Neckar. I normally stay in very modern hotels so I wasn't sure if I would like this as it is mainly dark woods and rich furnishings but it was excellent. Overall, an excellent stay and would definitely visit again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Trondheim, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Best hotel in Heilbronn in my opinion. I've stayed in several over the past 15 years, but this is by far the best.

Heavy decor with dark woods and deep leathers, typical of mix of german quality workmanship inspired by English interior tradition. Although I always prefer a modern designer hotel when I travel, I find the interior is what gives this hotel it's charm.

Fantastic service everywhere. They go out of their way to help.

My only complaint was that upon arrival they could not find my reservation from booking.com. I see other travelers to this hotel have experienced the same. I showed my reservation and they got me a room at the agreed price, but under other circumstances this would have been a disaster.

• Stayed November 2011
Nantes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The Heilbronn Insel-Hotel is centrally located, yet, due to being on its "own" island, seems almost remote (in a good comfy sense). Parking is free and quite plentiful (the hotel was full but there were still a few parking spots available).

The decor is in warm wooden tones and staff (reception and room service) is efficient and friendly. The rooms are cushy and spacious with tasteful decoration. Room service was fast and excellent, albeit a bit limited in choice. Internet connection was very good.

My only complaint is the breakfast room. Gone is the plush comfy look; tables are set lengthwise 3 in length with minimal space between the table rows (kind of like in an Oktoberfest beer tent) and if you take an inside seat and a group comes along, you're trapped.

This was my second stay in the Heilbronn Insel-Hotel (first stay was in 2004) and I was impressed by the changes (except for the breakfast room which has not changed).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Insel-Hotel? Share your experiences!