“Charming hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Marstall

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa Marstall to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Marstall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lauerstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #2 of 79 hotels in Heidelberg
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is close to the centre, next to both the river and the busy riverfront road.  Each room is different and ours, room 12 on the ground floor, was spacious and had a very high ceiling and was decorated in white and off-white throughout  - walls, distressed furniture, bedding, the lot.   We arrived on a particularly hot a muggy day, so the cool colouring was very welcome.  The aircon draws on outside air, so the plus side is that it doesn't use the water based system that can dry the air (apparently),  the downside is that it isn't so effective when it is really hot and muggy.  However, when I asked at reception about how the aircon worked, as our rom was still very warm, the receptionist found us a standalone cooler.  She really was super helpful - helping us find a legal space to leave our hire car in while we unloaded our bags and checked in, and explaining where to  park, where to eat and how to use the wi-fi.  It was playing up a bit which was why I couldn't log in, and she called to let me know when it had been fixed.
The bathroom was finished to a high standard and had a nice shower.
We had breakfast in the vaulted breakfast area, which is attractive and manages to combine a charming olde-worlde feel with evident cleanliness and good decorative order.  The selection is modest - some breads, meat and cheeses a couple of hot choices, plus cereal and yoghurt/milk etc.  The big plus for me is that its only ten euros, which is very good value for the light breakfast that I prefer.
Check out time is 11.00 and I would have liked a little later, but they do have a cupboard to securely lock your bags in if you want to go out.  If you give them your car park ticket, they are able to apply a discount to it.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We spent a lovely night at the hotel. Its a very clean place to stay we had a room that over looked the river. It was quite with the windows shut as your right on main road we had a big comfy bed, view was beautiful next to river. breakfast was lovely. Would of liked a fan or air con as it was very hot

• Stayed July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were very comfortable and quiet, and the location is perfect: right in the old town, just steps away from restaurants and the big shopping district. The castle is not far either; we walked everywhere. A great base from which to explore Heidelberg.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We only stayed one night here on a road trip of Europe but I wish we had stayed longer Heidleberg is a beautiful wee town. I am usually pretty critical when it comes to hotels but I cannot fault this place. Nice airy room over looking the river and even though the room was right on a busy road the soundproofing was so good we never heard a thing.
Great location, excellent breakfast in one of the most impressive breakfast rooms I've ever seen and staff the owner can be proud of. The cost per night was very reasonable too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Villa Marstall in mid-June. We checked in during the afternoon, and we received a friendly greeting at the front desk. The hotel is a smaller, 3 or 4-story building located directly on the river. The front-desk associate was very polite and courteous, and gave us some helpful information regarding Heidelberg. Our room was fantastic! We were on the 3rd floor overlooking the river (definitely ask for a river-view room), and the room was clean and comfy; the windows open completely, and the rooms have hardwood. The bathroom was modern and very clean. The room had just enough room for the both of us; most European rooms are smaller compared to US hotel rooms, but we didn't feel cramped at all. The cleaning service came daily, and the ladies did a great job! We had no issue with linen quality.

We ate breakfast at the hotel. The breakfast is a bit pricey, but you get plenty of great food: meats, cheeses, fruit, bread, eggs, sausage, yogurt, coffee, juice, etc. The best part, breakfast is served at the bottom of the hotel in the renovated cellar! It had a very charming feel. The young lady serving breakfast was very sweet and accomodating. It wasn't a huge space, and we only encountered a few people eating breakfast each day; it wasn't crowded by any means.

The hotel is in a great location, maybe a quarter mile from the bridge and "downtown" Heidelberg. There is a bus stop in front of the station, which was convienient when we needed to head back to the main Heidelberg train station after check out. You can walk to the castle from the hotel, but it is a hike. We are in our 30s, and we didn't mind the exercise; you can also take a cable car to the castle. We walked everywhere in Heidelberg, everything is fairly close to the hotel.

I couldn't say enough good things about this hotel. The front-desk associate was very kind, and gave us tips and advice throughout our trip. Feel free to email the hotel before you arrive with any arrival and transport questions, they are very responsive. We really enjoyed Heidelberg, it was one of our favorite spots during our European vacation! The price of this hotel may appear expensive to some, but trust me, it is worth every penny to stay here (location, value, service, room). I would love to go back to Heidelberg, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chiba, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed there four nights in June 2013. Hotel staffs all showed very kind hospitality. When leaving the hotel, I mislaid a key of my suitcase there. Since I moved to Bern on the same day, I could not get back to the hotel. On the same day, I received an e-mail informing my lost item from the hotel. So I asked her to send it to my address in Japan. They kindly did so. They are very kind and wonderful.
In addition to that episode, the room was clean and the breakfast was nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just returned from 1 night in Heidelberg staying at the Hotel Villa Marstall. It is very well located overlooking the river, right in the old city. My husband and I were with our two young children and the hotel was very accommodating, helpful and friendly. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, and spotless - exactly as advertised, which is always nice to see as that doesn't happen as often as we would like!

I absolutely recommend this hotel, with one word of caution: the linens on the beds are not very high quality. The pillow cases are of one quality, sheets another, and pillows are made of some kind of synthetic material that clumps. If this kind of thing bothers you (it does me), than you should reconsider, if not, then I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Villa Marstall? Share your experiences!