“It's alright, but not great.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Schmitt
and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Schmitt to your Saves list
Hotel Schmitt
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blumenstrasse 54, 69115 Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #72 of 79 Hotels in Heidelberg
Toronto
“It's alright, but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We found the hotel easily, it is within walking distance to the airport bus drop off point and under 10 minutes to the train station. The rooms are just alright, beds comfortable, place is clean, breakfast is amble enough. There are no nice touches anywhere though, the towels don't match, the decor isn't anything to write about. Think youth hostel but with your own bathroom. Mrs Schmitt was nice, worked at being hospitable, Mr Schmitt didn't say anything to us. Cash seems to be the preferred method of payment. Tram service is excellent in Heidelberg. Plus you can walk anywhere in town.

Room Tip: While the street is busy enough during the day, it is quiet at night. Double beds are two singles pu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sofia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I took on a trip through Western Germany with my parents earlier this month and would like to share my quite unpleasant experience with Hotel Schmitt. Since we weren't sure how our plans would develop, we had no hotel booking in advance and were looking for a hotel in or near Heidelberg. Due to unforeseen circumstances, most hotels in the area were full. However, we saw on the Internet that there were rooms available in Hotel Schmitt, so I called to see if we could book a room(seeing as he only spoke German, I was the one to communicate with him). The conversation started awkwardly with the owner asking whether we were Polish, a question the relevance of which was obscure and unclear to me. After sharing that we were Bulgarian, he said that they do in fact have a free room. What really shocked me though, was his reaction to my further questions. He said we couldn't book the room through the Internet( then why would he have his "hotel" put there?) and that he should explain where he lived to me(it was supposed to be a family-owned hotel, not a family house). I asked if it was the address available online, since that would be easier for us to follow. I couldn't possibly have anticipated the reaction - the man started shouting that there was no point in me calling if I already knew everything from the Internet. I got the distinct impression that he had issues with the Internet and Polish people. I really wouldn't recommend that kind of experience to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Wescosville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

The hotel is hard to find, though not that far from the train station. The night clerk was pleasant but the owner was curt and gruff. The room was clean, no frills, and not big on outlets. The breakfast was more than adequate. Get a room in the back, though I doubt any are quiet. e were awakened at 5 with the trash truck collecting the whole street's trash.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I feel I must balance the bad reviews from 2006. We found the Hotel Schmitt to be clean, well equipped and efficiently operated. The service and welcome were somewhat impersonal (we had to ring a bell to gain admittance on arrival and there were no staff present overnight) but they were willing to provide (a good) breakfast earlier than the advertised 07.30 and the check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. It' is convenient to the station but not otherwise in a very exciting area - although well served by tram links to the Altstadt. The rooms were modern, smart and clean - with hairdryer as well as TV and shower. A single room at 60 Euro seemed good value for central Heidelberg.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2006

I was booked here for a one night stay on a Friday last summer. Two days prior, having caught a cold and somewhat weary from our travels I decided to skip Heidelberg and extend my stay at the hotel I was in currently. I called Hotel Pension Schmitt and apologetically attempted to cancel, explaining my circumstances. The owner (I assume it was the owner) laughed haughtily at me and announced that I would have to pay full price for such a cancellation. There wasn't anything remotely friendly or understanding about his tone.

I asked if it wasn't likely that he'd get a replacement booking on a Friday night, given that it was World Cup time and his Hotel is in the old town center of one of the most popular tourist destinations in Germany. He laughed mockingly, explaining that the World Cup wasn't in Heidelberg. (Well, tell that to one of his competitors who had tried to charge me double price to stay in Heidelberg that night because it was during the World Cup. And tell that to all the American soccer fans that stayed in Heidelberg or other non-host cities for games elsewhere in the region.) Ultimately, I told him he was rude and that I wouldn't want to stay with him even if it meant incurring cancellation fees. Which is true. Why would I want to stay with this man?

I would have let the matter drop, but here it is 4 months later and he's finally gotten around to charging me the full rate for that night. In all fairness, he probably has every right to do this. Maybe 2 days isn't adequate cancellation for a small hotel in Germany? (Nowhere on his website does it state a cancellation policy, nor did it in the email he sent to confirm booking. ) But my issue isn't with his policy, it's his manner. If he had explained this to me politely, he wouldn't get a bad review.

• Stayed September 2006
lakeland, florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

We booked the small hotel at the last moment two weeks ago for three couples and arrived around 3 p.m., and were told where to park our vehicles (on the street directly in front of the hotel, in spite of my inquiry about the below ground parking as I had observed was available.) Upon leaving thirty minutes later to see the city for the next 3/4 hours we were surprised when we returned that one of the vehicles had been towed off, and was advised by the same lady ( Wife of the Inn Keep) that she had let the officers in the room of my friend to secure the keys and the car was parked beneath the hotel, yes the same area I had originally inquired about. To compound the problem my friend would have to go and pay 100 Euros to retrieve the keys from the police station.

The next morning we confronted the Inn keep/Husband who could not have been more of a jerk about the entire problem and denied that his 'wife had ever told us to park where she indicated, even though he wasn't there. I have travelled extensively and never seen a customer treated this way. A mistake was made, a reasonable way to resolve the matter would have been to have given my friend his room for free that evening, especially in light that we were renting three rooms. Avoid this establishment.

• Disliked — Management
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Schmitt? Share your experiences!