“Nice boutique hotel, good experience and will stay there again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pension Berger

Hotel Pension Berger
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Heidelberg
Hotel Pension Berger
You added Hotel Pension Berger to your Saves list
Erwin-Rohde-Strasse 8 | Neuenheim, 69120 Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #64 of 79 Hotels in Heidelberg
San Jose, California
“Nice boutique hotel, good experience and will stay there again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I was quite surprised upon reding the previous reveiwer's comments regarding their negative experience. It is inconsistent with my own experience and I can only imagine that there must be more to the story. As for me. . . . .

I arrived from California to receive medical treatment at Heidelberg University Hospital (close by to the Berger's facilities) and needed a place to stay for just one evening. However, I also inspected the Berger's apartment facilities and discussed with them to familiarize myself with what my own family can expect for the next time we all come to stay in Heidelberg (in 2011). Overall from my experience and what I discovered. I found nothing specifically negative with the hotel, or the Berger family that runs the hotel. Here is what I said on my own blog:

". . . . So I had to get a hotel room for one night and found this really great little boutique hotel run by a very nice couple (the Bergers). The husband is from Indonesia and the wife is from Heidelberg. They have two very nice young children. What I really love is that the entire small hotel is 100% non-smoking! Mrs. Berger told me that no one in her family smokes and they don’t like people around them to smoke. What a breath of fresh air in Germany! If you ever come to Heidelberg, stay at this place. I recommend it. [Post transplant note: if I did not/could not stay in the University Hospital Apartment, definitely I would want to stay here. They have very nice long-stay apartment facilities relatively close to the hospital.]"

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Heidelberg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Our family stayed in the Berger´s Heidelberg apartments for over 2 weeks and had a terrible experience - one which will not be forgotten for a very long time. Frau Berger and her husband are incompetent and conniving. Both Hotel Berger and their questionably legal apartments, Heidelberg Apartments are children-unfriendly and by no means accommodating. Our ever-changing invoice was delivered to various member of our family which led to much confusion.

One family member was also staying at the Hotel Berger and on the second day wanted to switch hotels because there was never anybody at reception, and the room furniture decorations and furniture were so spartan and austere, it felt more like a prison. Although she was able to rent the room for the remainder of the booked time, she still charged an 80% penalty fee for the cancelled nights.

One night at the apartment, some water was accidentally spilled on the night table, which was promptly wiped up, but some water remained and created a water mark on the cheap laminate wood finishing. Frau Berger wanted an exorbitant 500 Euros for the cost of the damage. We checked with a local woodworker and he assured the job would only cost 50 Euros.

We were under the impression that payment was due at the end of our stay, but we were rudely called on my wedding day to demand payment (4 days before check-out). This was obviously not possible, as my family and myself were busy with the wedding events. I told them we would be able to give them cash the next day, but it took took some harsh words from our side to accept the payment the next day.

On the day of check-out, my German husband wanted to be present at check-out to make sure things went smoothly. When the Bergers saw him coming, they forbade him to step foot on their property and when he refused to leave until all bills were closed, she called the police. The police came and when the situation was explained to them, they were upset that they had been called for nothing. In front of the police, we offered her 100 Euros for the refinishing of the table, but she said she would only accept a minimum of 300 Euros. So, in front of the police, she passed on the money.

The police definitely had a chuckle with us, but the whole family left Germany with a very sour taste. 2 weeks after we left, we found out that she had, indeed charged 500 Euros to our credit card. We promptly reversed the charges and hope all this drama is finally over.

We cannot recommend this hotel or apartments to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Pension Berger? Share your experiences!