“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg

You added Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg to your Saves list
Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hirschgasse 3, 69120 Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Heidelberg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at the Hirschgasse a couple of times years ago when we were young and carefree. We lived in a poky basement flat and Blue Lamb junior hadn’t yet made an appearance. We had fond memories of this hotel and promised ourselves that one day we would return, so we were very much looking forward to finally revisiting in July.

Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived, which was no problem as we were quite early. We went off and visited friends for the day, returning about four in the afternoon. When we were shown to our room, our disappointment was immediate and intense.

The hotel hadn’t changed a bit, and therein lies the problem.The Rosamund suite was reminiscent of an explosion in a Laura Ashley factory and featured the same rosy wallpaper which had been out of date in our old flat 20 years ago.

The resemblance didn’t finish there. There was an overpowering smell of damp – ironically, another trait shared with our old apartment. There was peeling wallpaper in one corner, the furniture was scratched, the paint around the bottom of the door was scuffed and all windows looked straight out onto mud embankments. The overall effect was that of being in a claustrophobic, over-decorated cellar with ventilation problems. The bathroom had a white plastic stool in it that would have been more suited to a residential care home and the toilet wall tiles were grouted in half white, half black (did the decorators run out halfway through?) Any object that had stayed still for more than a second had been captured, pinned down and forced to wear a frilly pelmet, including the mirror in the toilet and the television.

I had a word with the receptionist, who was pleasant and apologetic, but she explained that all the other rooms were full, as it was a very busy weekend. This room was an upgrade, she told me, so I asked if we could downgrade, but she assured me that we wouldn’t want to do that. To be fair, she was very nice and brought a beautiful bottle of wine to our room as compensation, but even after downing the bottle, the smell of the room and the general dampness made for a bad night’s sleep.

This was not a budget experience at €200 for the night (and I see the advertised room rate is €285!). The decor wasn’t to our taste, but that is not the issue. The main problem is that the hotel took a booking for a room that was patently unsuitable for paying guests, the equivalent of a top chef sending out a dish that he or she knows is a little bit off. The Rosamund suite was damp, smelly and tired. Like other reviewers, we had a peek at the other rooms in the morning and they looked airy and definitely more tasteful; I just wish the hotel had been honest at the time of booking and told us that they didn’t have anything suitable that night so we could have looked elsewhere.

On the plus side, the Hirschgasse has an excellent location for walking into the town and the carpet in the room was very clean. There, I’ve finished on a positive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hauptquartier, Manager at Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for returning to the Hirschgasse after so many years.

Well, taste is a big issue and arguments could be endlessly exchanged. I give you one of the deeper reasons, why we treasure the design.
We regard and appreciate the lovely and timeless design of Laura Ashley, whereby Lady Ashley herself has overseen the appointment of all suites in this individual style. It is a challenge and honour for us to preserve her design signature - it is a piece of interior design art for us!

This does not mean we do not improve and update anymore - we do that all the time - it is the skill to make change not too obvious. Should I understand your comments, that all country houses in England now should close because you scorn the cottage or country house look? A lot of customers find it really exiting, that they can recognize a lot of things how they were (Semper idem). We welcomed just recently guests after 50 years.

The room certainly is not damp. It is actually large and the coolest room in the whole hotel - ideal for very hot days.
The perspectives of photos you have taken are really informative - for ants crawling on the floor! It is always a matter of attitude which makes the difference and lets also the sincerity shine.

As you admit - other suites are different - and that is the nice thing about the Laura Ashley design - a lot of options and moods in colors and patterns. Some guests love roses, other hate Paisley. Unfortunately, on that day we did not have an alternative suite to move you in. But to overreact in such an obvious and huffy way is regrettable.

Make the test and visit us in twenty years again - you might appreciate the design then.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a very historical hotel situated just over the river from the old town. The old town is an easy walk either over the footbridge, which leads to the Aldstadt railway station, or over the Old Bridge, which leads straight into the heart of the old town. The hotel is a 12 Euro taxi ride from the main railway station, alternatively take a No34 bus direct from the station to within yards of the hotel for 1.10 Euros per person.
On the hotel side of the river is the philosopher's walk and above that woodland walks up to some spectacular viewpoints and some interesting monuments and ruins.
The staff in the hotel are all extremely friendly. The rooms are well furnished, traditionally decorated, clean and very comfortable. One night we had dinner in the Mensurstube, which is one of the dining rooms at the hotel. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the evening.
My only gripes are first, that there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but this does seem to be the case in all the hotels we have stayed at in Germany, and, secondly, that the breakfasts could have been a little more extensive. The breakfast options are continental at 12 Euros or full at 24 Euros. The continental breakfast is quite limited, two rolls, one glass of juice, selection of meats and cheeses brought to the table, tea or coffee. There was jam as well, but no cereal unless you were on the full breakfast. A buffet style breakfast would have been much preferred, as is usual in most hotels. In fact it is possible to purchase a buffet breakfast at Extra Blatt, part of a cafe chain in the old town, for less than the hotel continental breakfast, but it just isn't as convenient. Also, I have to say that the waiting staff in the hotel were very hospitable and made breakfast enjoyable despite the limited choice.

All in all we felt that the Hirschgasse was a great experience and we would stay there again if ever we return to Heidelberg.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel has some real history to it and it is just picture perfect on the exterior! Shutters, flower boxes. lanterns - it is so pretty! The restaurants are lovely, dark and intimate - one is very 'gourmet' and is, I believe, something worth trying. We did not, however, because it was late and there was no one in there. Instead, we headed to Old Town.

Location is in a beautiful area full of extravagant, old, classic mansions. I loved the architecture. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to other shops and restaurants, including Old Town and it's a nice, easy walk.

I found the Rose Suite spacious enough and the bed comfortable and the bathroom perfectly clean and attractive (very nice old tile work in there and windows that opened with a street view)....however, there is no air conditioning, nor is there a fan. And while I understand that this is an old property and everything.....I would say I had trouble falling asleep because it was so warm. I would consider this if staying during the summer. The only other thing; although it is very clean, the bedspread and curtains and a couple small pieces of furniture could use updating (something that still reflects the fact that it is historic). Our room was a little 'overdone' with roses and cherubs and pink. But overall, it is a lovely little place, I simply think the rooms need a little updating and they might want to consider air conditioning. If you are traveling outside the summer months, I am sure you will be quite comfortable.

The staff was over the top helpful and the breakfast buffet was huge. Not everything is out continental style, so understand what they are bringing you before you order some eggs! Cheese, meats, breads, Black Forest jams, smoked salmon, yogurts and muesli are all part of the 'buffet'. Over the top, but quite good.

Room Tip: If traveling in summer, I would recommend asking for a fan if they have one.
Valparaiso, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is a beautiful historic hotel on the outskirts of old Heidelberg—it’s about a 7 minute walk to the bridge. It’s located partway up a rather steep hill (second entrance on the left after you turn onto the road…look for the sign on the street as the name on the building is covered in ivy and quite hard to make out) and has free parking for guests. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and spoke English very well, and we were greeted immediately by a lovely woman who gave us info on the hotel and directions into town as one of our rooms wasn’t ready. Every room here is a suite, and each has its own charm. My sister’s room (marked with a personalized placard “Mr. and Mrs., although she and her partner aren’t married) had a country cottage feel to it, with the bed located a couple steps down from the sitting area, and mine (with a placard reading only my name although I am married and traveling with my husband…a very cute and personal touch nonetheless) had an antique study feel, with heavy leather furniture and dark wood. Both had whirlpool tubs in the bathroom (ours had a separate shower/toilet room and a skylight in the main bathroom. Both had designer bath products—the only hotel that had separate shampoo rather than all-purpose soap, but still no conditioner). There was a welcome note with a small bottle of red wine—another nice touch.
As with many of the hotels in which we stayed, there was no air conditioning in the rooms. It was fairly warm while we were there, so we made use of the fan that was in the room and kept the skylight open—even without a breeze, that seemed to cool things. My sister was not as lucky as they didn’t have the skylight, and the fan they requested was too loud to allow them to sleep well. Around the hotel and in the restaurant there is a lot of historical memorabilia and many pictures that depict the history of the area, and the outdoor gardens provide a great setting for drinks or a meal.
We had breakfast included in our package, but my sister, who booked separately, did not. It was quite pricey--Something like 21€ for full breakfast—and they opted not to join us; which took the leisurely feel out of breakfast as we knew we had hungry people waiting for us. Nonetheless, it was a nice affair…sparkling wine, made to order items, as well as the standards…they begin by bringing a three-tiered setting with meats and cheeses, smoked salmon, a basket of rolls, a fruit cocktail, yogurt, and amazing “Swiss specialty” that I can’t even describe but was delicious, and “energizing water,” that contained some sort of stones in the container. There is also a buffet containing more fruits, homemade jams, cereals, juices, etc. It was very nicely done, and quite good. We did not have the opportunity to have dinner there, but the menu looked quite inventive—it was fairly pricey as well, though.
We very much enjoyed our stay here—the hotel was clean, comfortable, unique, and full of friendly people who really wanted you to be satisfied. It was a great finish to our two-week tour of Germany, and certainly one of the nicest hotels in which we stayed! (See also my reviews of Hirsch (Fussen), Schranne (Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber), Hotel Grand Esplanade (Berlin), and King’s Hotel City Center (Munich)).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hauptquartier, Inhaber at Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear thewhirledtraveler,

Thank you so much for this very long and excellent comment on the Hirschgasse Heidelberg. We feel honered that you spend so much time on discribing us, and it is very motivating to show our staff how we are seen by our customers to keep on delivering a service which wants to go the extra mile with a smile.

Next time bring children - also if they are not your own - with you to have our Butler Breakfast - it is served for free up to the age of 18(!) years :-) because we love children.

Hope to see you soon again I remain with very best regards,
Ernest Kraft
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed in Die Hirschgasse for two nights whilst on a tour of Germany with my sister and brother-in-law. Upon arrival, the service was impeccable. We were greeted straight away, helped with our luggage and escorted to our room. A really nice touch was the personalised name-plate outside of the door that read "Mr and Mrs" followed by the surname of my partner. Too bad we're not married - but a nice thought anyway. I laughed when wondering what would happen if there were two friends sharing a room.

There was also a little bottle of red wine with a welcome note attached to it on the side table - another nice, welcoming touch. The room was very comfortable and had an English country-cottage feel to it. This was paired, however, with a lovely, modern whirlpool tub which came in really handy after a day of hiking to the castle. There were also Molton Brown products in the bathroom, which are my favourite.

We didn't get a chance to eat in the restaurant, unfortunately, so I cannot comment on that. One dissapointment, however, was that because my sister and brother-in-law booked on a package deal and we booked our room separately, a full breakfast was included for them, but wasn't for us. If we wanted to join them for breakfast, we would've had to pay £12 for the continental option (essentially one roll, some cold meat and cheese, and one glass of juice or tea/coffee) or £24 for the full breakfast (which had a lot more on the menu - including cereals and yoghurts which you would expect to have on the continental menu). So, unfortunately, while they enjoyed their breakfast we had to wait in our room and then go into the town later to find something to eat. This isn't necessarily the fault of the hotel - more of an unfortunate circumstance - but we couldn't bring ourselves to spend more money on breakfast when we were paying around £150 a night for the room alone.

Another thing that I expected in the room was a tea or coffee maker. Most of the other hotels that we stayed at Germany had one - and since we weren't entitled to breakfast, a nice morning tea would've gone down a treat. Also, one night it was very hot in the room and we requested a fan from the reception, which was prompty brought to the room. Unfortunately, the fan was so noisy that we had to turn it off in the night and swelter a bit - neither of us having a very good sleep that night as a result.

Finally, I have to comment on the price of the WiFi at the hotel - which I am still in shock about. Prices started from €4 for a half an hour!! That is truly the most outrageous price I've ever heard for use of the WiFi, especially seeing as how it was free in the previous two hotels that we stayed in. Honestly - the price of internet connectivity has come down so dramatically in the last few years, that a 5 star hotel asking for €4 for 30 minutes is a complete insult. I would seriously urge Die Hirschgasse to reconsider their WiFi pricing policy - especially as it seems from the reviews that quite a few business people stay here, who would most likey require use of the internet.

All in all we enjoyed our stay here - despite the complaints. It was a bit off the beaten path - up a hill (which people with limited mobility might want to consider), but the hotel and the hotel grounds definitely looked well loved and cared for and the staff we encountered were top notch. Perhaps if a few minor changes were made, I might even consider returning to Die Hirschgasse. Many thanks for the welcome and hospitality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Inhaber at Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Gianna13.

Thank you for your very positive comment of the Hirschgasse Heidelberg. We appreciate your time, but have to adjust some misunderstandings in numbers.

Regarding breakfast we have to correct some wrong numbers you put forward.
Firstly we charge in EUR and not in GBP, as you state it and secondly the served Butler breakfast is 21 EUR and not 24 GPB! It provides big value - compare that to a Starbucks, where every coffee has to be paid - with us you can order as much as you like- as with the rest of breakfast items. (Recently, we had even customers who drunk over 2 liters freshly breakfast juice!)! Still..., no extra charge.

We cannot really at all follow that you left your friends alone??! Have they not deserved a little bit "friendship investment"?

Shouldn't you have been happy over a low rate and therefore been able to have breakfast with your friends?
Would you only have breakfast, if the room had been double the price?
What if the room costs in other hotels is 75 EUR - breakfast then for free?

One thing has nothing to do with the other at all. We give work to employees - who also expect a decent salary. We do not subsidize our customers on behalf of our staff. Good staff costs money -and we have very good staff. It is a fight for "human resources" these days which you might not know. You expect only a good service - and right so! But to keep the standard - allow us to charge and calculate adequately. Cheap rates, fantastic product and good service at low prices are not possible.

>>If you want to understand why Wi-Fi is not for free „I would seriously urge" you to -read- this:

These "Wi-Fi for free" claims from - luckily only a few - customers make really no sense! Please understand that we had to invest a lot of money to in building a Wi-Fi network structure. This means crawling through the roofs, making breakthroughs in numerous walls and placing and wiring a lot of fast access nodes to latest network standard (802.11 a/b/g/n) to ensure a good reception in the whole property. A professional network firm had been given an order for this project which had to be paid.
What is lowered at connectivity charges is eaten up triple with exploding costs for maintenance. One sole hour network specialist cost us 120 EUR. Did you really think that realizing a WIFI structure in a hotel is just plug & play?

No we ask you: Why should we give it away for free?? Is telephone for free? Also here, the same principle rules: Return on investment!

>>WRONG Wi-Fi charges! You put wrong numbers forward. Just the opposite is the case for the offered hispeed bandwidth: 1 hour (60 min) is 4 EUR, 3 hours 10 EUR and 24 hours 15 EUR. The best thing is, that you can log in and out and save online time. In other hotels the online time runs despite if you are using it or not - once you started it.

Only because some other hotels do things different, we do not have to do it necessarily in the same way.
You always will have hotels, who try to profile themselves doing it cheaper - it is all they can!
A lot of them have long gone time - and we are still here - over 540 years...
Guests who stay in the Hirschgasse Heidelberg can afford it - not only financially, but also from the appreciation side: keeping a great historic Heidelberg place alive and running. We have totally different repair costs with an old house compared to a newly build one.

Bargain hunters will always be very unhappy with us - and we do not mind at all, if they do not find the way to us.

We are convinced, that do not belong to this species. Now that we have shed some light on your comments, we will hope that you will soon revisit us, because you understand some details hopefully better.

Best regards,
Ernest Kraft
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Arrived on a hot summer day to an unairconditioned room. Staff did find us two nine inch fans, but only a small relief. Not sure any other hotels in town have AC, but sure could've used it. Nice big room with antique/old furniture. The room would probably be quaint and comfortable in the spring, fall, and winter. Great breakfast. Nice quiet location, across river from Old Town Heidelberg. For these prices would expect free Wi Fi and bottled water, but no. Staff was very nice and helpful.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I loved great old-style English design of the hotel, it feels like you get in one of the movies based on Jane Austen's stories. The furniture in the hotel is more then 200 years old, it looks very "noble", though please keep in mind that age is age and for those who prefer brand-new things it might be reasonable to consider other options of accomodation.
The hotel is perfectly located in a quiet place aside nosy road. Old center of the city is just across the bridge within 10 minutes walking distance and the view to the Heidelberg castle is amazing. I cannot say anything about housekeeping, because I stayed there only for one night, but the reception was very friendly and a welcoming bottle of wine was a great contribution to the good sleep :)
Breakfast is not included in the price of the room and served additionally for 21 Euro, which might be not very cheap but it is really very delicious, or there is an option to have small things from the buffet for 12 Euro.
I loved my stay there very much. Very Romantic place inspite of the fact that for me it was only a short business-trip...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear n_Number1,

Thank you very much for you understanding words in your comment, which fuels our attitude to run our property in the certain way it is known for a very long time.

One can sense that you have a fine comprehension not only of the romantic Laura Ashley style, but the general intention to provide an atmosphere, Jane Austen would have happily written some of her numerous letters to her sister Cassandra. Perhaps only the good food you mention would have distracted her from just doing that...

The combination of the two atmospheric levels are also expressed in our motto "Between the worlds". Hoping that you will have soon the time to revisit us - perhaps not only with business on your mind.

Been to Hotel Die Hirschgasse Heidelberg? Share your experiences!