“Lovely old building full of character (staff included )” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg

You added Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg to your Saves list
Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hauptstrasse 178, 69117 Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #24 of 79 Hotels in Heidelberg
Rottweil, Germany
“Lovely old building full of character (staff included )”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed two nights here. The hotel is slap bang in the old center, built 1592 and full of character. The breakfast was really good with bubbly - make sure you get a rate which includes breakfast. Some of the staff have been there since 1973 which adds to the ambiance - they know what they are doing ! Overall service was impeccable. The lifts are a little strange - probably due to the historic nature of the building. When we arrived I took the lift with the luggage, expecting to arrive on my floor, but needed to carry the bags up another set of stairs. Later we found out (from the waiter) that there is a service lift which can be found through a door in the back dining room (with a hidden button) that took us right to our room - result ! This is a lovely hotel and well worth a stay. The rooms are a little dated (TV is a CRT one) but very clean. We even received Easter eggs in a basket outside our room unexpected nice touch, and a jar of jam (made in the hotel kitchen) on check out. 11:30 check out is good. Would definitely recommend

Room Tip: perhaps lift restrictions might mean a first floor room - ask at reception if a lift is important to...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Griso_man,

thank you very much for taking your time to post your experience during your stay at our hotel. I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your visit to Heidelberg. You are absolutly right, that due to the age of our building and that it consists out of 3 buildings, our rooms are connected over different levels. Your commentary on our staff is very much appreciated, as good service is the most important during our daily operation. I do hope that you will remember us during tasting our homemade giveaway jam. I do hope to welcome you soon again.

Matthias Engel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kaiserslautern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel and staff were simply amazing! The hotel is centrally located in one of Germany's most romantic cities. Accommodations were wonderful, very clean and comfortable. The restaurant located on the premises is equally as wonderful catering to our reticular tastebuds. I highly recommend and encourage a visit to this unique hotel.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear JordanandAracel... R,

My team and myself are very happy, that it seems that you had a phantastic stay in Heidelberg at our Hotel Zum Ritter. Your feedback and recommondation are the best motivation to keep up our main target, to offer a great experience at the Ritter. I do hope to welcome you soon again and get in touch with you personaly.

Matthias
Whistler, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2015

Based on my experience, the hotel seems to have two different qualities of room. Those in front (lower numbers) have really thin walls and very basic furnishings, which I would rate 2 star. When I complained, I was moved to the back. My second room was better appointed and more spacious, with a nice baggage-rack ante-room. This was a good 3-star quality, despite an old tv and total absence of foreign channels (all German programming, not even French or Italian).

Staff need to warm up and be more proactive. When I tried to ask for laundry at 8:30 am the response was horror ("I'm not sure. . . we have to send it out. . . I have to ask. . ") That evening, I had to prod them to deliver the laundry to my room (it was still being held in Housekeeping as of 7 pm) Also, a requested wake-up call never happened.

If you need a business hotel at sub-200 euro levels, personally I consider this a better choice than some of the chains in town.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this review, March 30, 2015
Dear Mr. MannyG2000,

thank you for taking your time to share your experience at the Hotel Zum Ritter in Heidelberg. I have spoken to my team concerning your feedback. We will start with refurbishment this year and have already signed the contract with our TV provider to offer our non-german guests a variaty of so called home channels. I do hope to welcome you again in Heidelberg to show you our improvements in the field of service.

Toenisvorst, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2015

Ideally situated for visiting Heidelberg. Very friendly and attentive staff at reception. An interesting building with a lot of history. Breakfast was very good, buffet with freshly prepared hot foot. Good standard. The room we had was large but really did need refurbishment. Including the furniture. I can understand that it is an old building but more could be done to bring it up to today´s standards. We ate dinner at the restaurant in the evening. Service was ok but not outstanding. Food of good quality and ample.

Room Tip: If you have a room to the front expect noise in summer if windows are open. Tourists are out really...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this review, March 22, 2015
Dear Mrs. Anne R.,

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Hotel Zum Ritter in Heidelberg. Your feedback concerning our staff and breakfast is very much appreciated and has a high factor of motivation for us. We are already in the phase of planning a refurbishment and renovation of the hotel which will start in 2015. So I do hope to welcoming you soon again and properbly surprise you of the changes which will always be in respect of our heritage of the oldest "Bürgerhaus" in Heidelberg.

kind regards
Covilha, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

Actually, the hotel is not 500 years old. The building it occupies was built in 1592, the hotel is more recent and it has a mere 300 or so years.

The good news is that the atmosphere is just right - great comfort, and beautiful scenery.

If you look at the picture of the hotel, the three top windows are room 304. The room fits a very comfortable double bed, a small table with two small sofas, and sort of a chamber with a single bed and a large closet. The WC has a shower and little more. The room is good, but this is not the best thing about the room.

The room itself has 5 windows, three of them, as I mentioned, overlooking the square of the main church. The light, the sounds, the atmosphere are just incredible. This was probably the room I felt most excited to be in.

The staff is very nice, and the breakfast is excellent. There is a sort of familiar environment in the hotel.

The Internet is not so good (this can be improved) but it's free. Of course there is no sauna nor swimming pool. But you get to stay at the center of Heidelberg in an historic building.

Underneath the windows in my room, the XVI century owners had written "Persta invicta Venus". And so it is.

This is one hotel I really look forward to return.

Room Tip: Please choose room 304.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear Mr. NGarcia65,

thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience during your stay at the Hotel zum Ritter in Heidelberg. I totally agree with you, that room 304 has a magnificant view. I have spoken with our IT-support and we will replace our w-lan router with a stronger one. I do hope to welcome you quite soon again in Heidelberg and it would be a pleasure welcoming you personally.

kind regards
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2015

The staff is incredible, the overall facility is wonderful to explore, the rooms that have been redecorated could use it again. Ask for one that hasn't been updated to enjoy the old world charm. The hotel is right in the city center, tons of charm everywhere.

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks the church, they are older and have more charm.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Dear Mrs. Wannabegardening,

I want to thank you for taking your time to share your experience during your stay at the Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg in Heidelberg. Especially your commentary on the friendliness of our staff is the highest motivation we can receive from our guests. I can promise you, that whatever we will change in the nearby future, we will always keep in mind to keep the charme and the historical heritage of the hotel. I do hope to welcome you again in Heidelberg, by the way you have a fantastic synonym.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2015

College buddy and I were traveling throughout Germany and decided on this hotel on a whim. Nothing fancy, but a great location, clean and a good place to store your things and sleep at night. If you're looking for a basic clean hotel I would recommend, but nothing fancy.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Matthias E, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg, responded to this review, January 29, 2015
Dear Mr. Bill,

thank you for having stayed with us at the hotel Zum Ritter in wonderful Heidelberg. It seems that is already a long time that you have been with us. Management has changed in October 2014 as we took over the hotel and since then we work hard each day to meet our guest's expectation not only outside of the magnificent fassade but as well inside. So I do hope to welcome you and your friend again in the Hotel Zum Ritter which will become definately fancy again.

Best regards from Heidelberg
Matthias Engel

Been to Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg? Share your experiences!