“I wanted to eat here again and again!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 380 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
“I wanted to eat here again and again!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Traveling throughout eastern Europe I was afraid of the lack of veggies other than kraut and potatoes. On a mission to get some leafy greens I found this place on Trip Advisor and told my husband we needed to try it. After flying all night and walking around for hours, we were famished. We chose the buffet and began to fill our plates. Zucchini, eggplant, carrots, cabbage, pasta, potatoes, salads, broccoli, etc...hot dishes, cold dishes. Soup, bread....everything we had was fabulous. Quite self explanatory just by looking at it. You pay by the weight of your plate. I wish there was a flat rate because there were many items I would have liked to try more of...it was the best food we had the entire trip...and the people were really nice too!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Veggie Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

In the bread, cheese and cream world that is Germany, finding a fresh vegetable bar is an absolute dream. I love this place. I wouldn't say it's the best food I've ever eaten, but it ranks up there for their wide breadth of prepared vegetable options served up buffet style. The offerings are always fresh and I leave feeling healthy and nourished. It's exactly what I need to get though a long work day. If health is a priority in your life, I think you will really be happy with the offerings at Red.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Vegetarian cornucopia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm so glad I found this place on a recent trip to Heidelberg. It is located on a quiet street teeming with locals and students (not tourists) just a short walk from the historic old-town (on Post-strasse, walking toward the Hauptbahnhof).

Basically this gourmet but buffet-based restaurant provides a smorgasbord of vegetarian options (salads, casseroles, falafels, etc) that you can put on your plate and pay by weight. But this isn't your cafeteria-quality food - the food was delightfully flavored (chickpea salad had a touch of spice) and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend anyone (esp. vegetarians) visit this place if you are in Heidelberg.

Visited January 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Mostly for you veggie lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

My mom and I always saw Red coming home from downtown, and finally stopped in. Very appealing restaurant with glass windows, outside seating, and nestled in the studious/university side of town; however, the food was not up to par. With an organic buffet style set-up, dishes varied with countless veggies and some meat, but lacked the flavor and flair you would find in other restaurants. Better off for those wanting a healthy sit-down snack. Also slightly off track from downtown.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Barcelona, Spain
“A shining star on a dark night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Heidelberg is a lovely place, but in terms of food, is a nightmare for a vegetarian.. even worse for a vegan as I am - a health conscious vegan for that matter i.e. pastries, pizza, pasta MIGHT be vegan... but a diet made of these nutrition sources is not what you would call healthy...

Lets just say vegetable based dishes are not too common... till I came across Red. The food, I found delicious, and varied. Although variety is the spice of life, the food itself was spiced up so you won't find bland food here. I can only describe it as vegetarian heaven, as far as food goes. The desserts themselves were to die for...

Anyone interested in trying out this place; you pick your own seating, and fill your own plate (buffet style). You pay by weight, adding to the price the cost of the drink you choose out of the many interesting drinks they have.

Seating is indoor and outdoor. For you single guys, you'll want to be on the look out for the sweet girls behind the counter :P

• Visited July 2012