“The ol' Switcheroo scam” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Decatur, Alabama
“The ol' Switcheroo scam”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I would never want to falsely accuse a restaurant of skullduggery, but my experience at Trattoria Toscana just left me amazed by an apparent scam to switch our wine with a cheaper one.

My wife & I ate here because we were looking for a casual break from our big German meals. While the food & prices were about as expected, I am about 99.9% certain that we were swindled on our wine. Our server brought out the €28 bottle of Chianti we ordered and opened it tableside; she then sniffed the cork rather theatrically, pronounced the wine as bad, then took the bottle from the room, returning only seconds later with an identical bottle, ALREADY OPENED. Without any further explanation, she poured this wine and left us with the bottle.

I am no sommelier and could not tell if the bottle actually contained the Chianti that we had ordered, but the entire chain of events was so bizarre that I felt that SOMETHING was wrong; I suppose she may have just brought back the original "spoiled" bottle, but I finally concluded that our wine had been switched. I guess I was foolish to have accepted the new bottle already opened, and I certainly will never do it again.

Except for this strange incident, the rest of the experience was OK, as the food was reasonably good and the prices about average for the tourist part of Heidelberg.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Good food but not worth the hassle.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Prime location but service lackadaisical. Once they have you seated they forget about you. Both pasta dishes we ordered were good. The dessert menu was limited and they were "out" of the one we ordered. My main complaint involved the wine we ordered, when the waitress opened the bottle she sniffed the cork and left the table as if something were wrong with it, but then returned with a bottle already opened. It seemed rehearsed and we felt like we were victims of a "bait and switch" where they substituted another wine for what we ordered. This place might be fine for a quick lunch but I would skip it if I was looking for a nice dinner.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Geneva
“"what, don't you like fish?"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went looking for some good Italian food. What we got was a basic menu with no stand outs...and the pasta dishes we ordered could have easily been made in our home from boxed pasta and canned sauce with a few vegetables thrown in.

We were delivered the same dish, though the 2 of us ordered different ones. Instead of apologizing, the waitress pressured me to keep the wrong dish saying "what, don't you like fish?" Yes I do in fact, but if I wanted fish I would have ordered it! Eventually they brought the right dish, but we were unimpressed and eager to leave.

Should cost have what it does. Don't go if yo'ure looking for authentic italian food.

Visited July 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great food, authentic local workers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I ate here twice during my visit in Heidelberg and would go back. The 1st time was during lunch on a weekday during a slow time, we had 2 five year olds (who are well-mannered) with us, we ordered pizzas and the waiter was patient with us. The food is delicious!!!! So, I went back a 2nd time with my husband for dinner on a Saturday night. Again the food was delicious! The waiter was good, he came back to check on us a few times with is rare in Germany. I did notice that on a Saturday night when the restaurant is busy the employees will do what they need to do, for example we saw them kick-out a young bachelorette party that seemed drunk. I think this is why some other reviewers didn't five this place 5 stars, because the waiters aren't afraid to do something if it keeps all the other patrons happy. So, go here knowing that you or your children will need to be on their best behavior. Overall, I recommend this place and would go back because the food is awesome! Staff is ok. You can sit outside or inside and will have views of the Holy Ghost church. Enjoy!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lewis, Washington
“A taste of Italy in the middle of Germany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Spaghetti Sinatra. That should be enough for you to try this dish. My work had me at Heidelberg and I ventured into this place longing for some pasta. I was delighted by the wonderful taste of Spaghetti Sinatra. I had returned to this delicious destination 3 nights in a row. I must admit I liked so much I had it twice. The other plate of Linguine al pesto was also very good. My wife liked the Mussels and spaghetti one night. She raved about the Artichoke starter also. Salute!

• Visited April 2012