“Faulty towers is better” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Am Park

You added Hotel Am Park to your Saves list
Hotel Am Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Karl-von-Hahn Str. 129, 72250 Freudenstadt, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Freudenstadt
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
“Faulty towers is better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Having driven through the night to get to this hotel upon arrival the Farce started Not enough rooms for our party, small full car parking a very Nasty receptionist that on 1 occasion made me Wait 1.5hrs for towels and when they arrived the "maid" told me they had just come from the washer and were wet. Not much use then. For 2 days No hot water, Very limited food at end of sitting, A happy hour in the bar that ended 1hr before the bar actually opened. Having travelled throughout europe with my job and this has got to be 1 of the most terrible i have ever stayed in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Well, normally when one books a hotel to spend a week with a large group in the beautifully picturesque Schwarzwald, one would expect to arrive at said hotel to find enough rooms with enough beds in them that the hotel said it would provide. This apparently doesn't hold true for Hotel am Park. Not only did I have to spend about 4 hours waiting for a room to be allocated to me (one might have thought that the months advanced booking may have given them time to do this...) but once a room had been allocated there were not enough beds. A "room of 6" was actually room of 2 or 3, with a couple of camp beds and mattresses thrown in, in fact, there wasn't enough space so one member actually spent nights sleeping in the closet. This was of course once guests had managed to actually find their rooms. The hotel is split between 2 main tower blocks, which are joined by the lobby and reception. One might have thought that the staff or some helpful signs might have been nice to guide people to their rooms as room 506 and room 512 were 22 flights of stairs apart (try doing that with all your luggage) but apparently not. One can sit in the lobby on an afternoon and watch the parade of new guests attempting to find their lodgings. "Why not use the lift??" I hear you cry. Well, once you have waited for ages for a lift to come (despite the double doors only 1 lift was functional during my stay with no sign to communicate this to guests, and didn't seem to have any sensible priority programming) you will find a rickety shaky cabin which, especially on the descent, make some very interesting noises which really do not sound at all healthy. And if you think my ordeal was unique, I am yet to meet a guest who did not have problems actually getting a room, and if you don't believe me, you only have to read some of the other reviews on here.
Another aspect of a hotel one might expect would be the welcoming and helpful staff. Once again, Hotel am Park managed to not provide even this basic service. The receptionist (who also seemed to be the plumber, customer relations and just about everything short of chef and barman) was unhelpful, and not particularly pleasant. In one of the top tourist destinations of Germany, I was surprised (I know I can't judge as I cannot speak a word of German) to find that the receptionist could only speak German, and did not seem to have any other languages in his repertoire. Fine for a general hotel, but in a major tourist spot such as Freudenstadt?
In fact, the only reason why this hotel has rated better than terrible is the facilities that are available. The swimming pool is warm (when the heating is working) and the sauna is excellent. In fact the only problem we had was when the receptionist told us the pool was open until 11pm, and then the lights suddenly turned off at a quarter past 10, and he refused to turn them back on, so that people could retrieve their belongings in a safe manner- no warning, just pitch blackness with people still in the pool...
Furthermore, the food was tasty and filling, although one might have expected, especially after seeing the size of the kitchen through the double doors, an A La Carte affair, instead of a buffet, although this would require somewhat more staff than are currently working there.
All in all, I think this hotel could have been a great hotel, but the staff let it down big time. There are some great facilities and the views from the room balconies are amazing. Yes it is a bit far from Freudenstadt centre, but I enjoyed the walk in the blazing sunshine, and in summer the town is buzzing with children running through the fountain in the central square. Unfortunately Hotel am Park was understaffed for the size and capacity, and with unhelpful and perhaps even surly employees, what could have been a great hotel was actually very poor. I will admit that after the first night, once we actually had rooms to stay in, the hotel was a good hotel (provided you looked on the funny side of the bed and hot water (or lack thereof) situations) but first impressions last, and mine was not a good one.

Room Tip: If the hotel says it can do a room of 6, don't believe them, go for rooms of 2 or 3, 4 max, as a...
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

From the 21st to the 26th of July 2012 I stayed at this hotel with my Youth Choir, who were on tour with the orchestra in the Black Forest. Upon check in, there were not enough rooms provided for our party, and the rooms which were provided did not have enough beds. We were given two person rooms to fit 6 people, a double bed, a bunk bed and a mattress on the floor were provided in one such case, the only way to fit the extra necessary bed would have been to block the doorway. The man serving on reception showed no signs at all of being even slightly concerned at the chaos this caused for the 8 staff leading a group of 65 teenagers, and did not appear to realise how totally unacceptable not providing the rooms we had booked was. When we finally managed to get into rooms, they were mostly acceptable, showers and bathroom in general were clean and worked, barring one night when there was no hot water. Since we had all been in the pool swimming this was not great, as chlorine on skin overnight isn't good. We were told it would be back on by 8am, and were a little unsure how it could be known that it would be fixed by then. Our doubts were confirmed when the next morning a different member of staff was on reception, and it was still broken. This woman did however at least try to fix it, and was clearly upset and apologetic.
There were stains on carpets and sofas in almost all our rooms, and on the stairs. Our door handle consistently came off in our hand as we opened it from the inside, a clear hazard in case of a fire or similar, but when we informed recpetion nothing was done. The lifts on one side of the hotel did not work, and directions to rooms were unclear.
The pool was a highlight, however having been told it was open 7am-11pm, being rudely kicked out one night at 10pm, and another night just having lights turned off while we were still in there was a shock. Around ten of us were left midway through ascending a steep, spiral, marble staircase in wet feet unable to see more than a few inches.
Food was alright, however no labels were put out for food allergies, and unless you could ask in German it took a long time to get a definite answer as to what was and wasn't safe to eat, very worrying when myself and several others had life threatening allergies to things such as nuts and mushrooms.
Overall we felt the staff did not care about the standard of sevice provided, with a few minor exeptions. The staff were left stressed and having to chase around to even have a mattress for everyone to sleep on was ridiculous, by the end of a 5 night stay some people still didn't have a proper bed, just a mattress on the floor.
Talking to other hotel guests, we did not encounter a single party who had not had similar or worse problems, including families with young children who were not given enough rooms or beds. The unhelpful, uncaring members of staff even at one point refused to give their name so a formal complaint could be made against them.
Overall an awful hotel, decent facilities but the management offsets that by far more. The tour company we booked with will not ever be using the hotel again, and I would advise others to avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't chooose a room. Don't stay here. If you are, try and get either 100-110, 200-210, or...
Yarm, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Honestly? Horrific. My party of 65 (booked months in advance) arrived at 2pm. Keys didn't work, there were not enough beds in the rooms, many in fact didn't HAVE a room, meanwhile the largest beer belly I have ever seen resided behind the reception attached to the most actively unhelpful and rude manager I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. It was not until 7:30pm that all our party was sorted, and by this I mean had any form of shelter for the night. My group of 4 were shown to a room with a single double bed. 3 hours plus later (after much complaining) two 3inch thick foam mattresses appeared, with one plastic sheet each (no duvet and only 1 gaffer taped pillow to share). Hearing raised voices in the corridor I went to investigate and found a German family of 4 (2 parents, 2 teenage girls) being shown to the next door room also only with a double bed. My rudimentary German (and both parties rather impressive mime) managed to convey our situation, upon which the German family left (apparently not just an anglo experience!). The room was dirty - unwashed glasses, two suspicious white pills on the floor even! Our three towels went missing on the second day, and did not reappear until the 5th - not for want of trying! No hot water on evening 3 or day 4. Lifts were out of order. The 4 members of staff (we saw no-one else in 6 days) were rude, completely disinterested and unhelpful. Unfortunately the rooming situation continued all week - parties of all nationalities faced no rooms, or not enough beds, providing many shouting matches to eavesdrop on in reception. And Lord forbid you stay in the swimming pool past the directed 10pm - changing room lights are switched off at 9:45 - and much cursing ensues when clothes have to be found in the pitch black!
I wish I was exaggerating for shock value, but I'm not. And quite honestly wild horses could not drag me back to the Hotel Am Park.

Room Tip: Pick a different Hotel.
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel am Park at both ends of a tour of Germany and Italy. My first night there was Tuesday 10th April and I stayed there again on Tuesday 17th April.

When I first arrived I was given my room key and no further directions to my room. There were no signs in the hotel lobby pointing out where the rooms were so I spent some time traipsing round the hotel trying to find my room. When I eventually found my room, it had not been cleaned since the departure of the previous guests. The beds were unmade, there were dirty glasses on the table in the room and the only towels had obviously recently been used.

I had to go and find something to eat so a complaint was made and on my return the room had been cleaned. The room was spacious, light and comfortable although the 2 towels that I had been provided with were hand towels and totally useful for showering.

On my 2nd stay I was in a family room (on my own) which was enormous and had more towels that I could ever hoped to have used (over-compensating for my previous experience perhaps?). The room was clean and comfortable but the remote control for the TV was missing so I resorted to using the hotels somewhat extortionate wifi (£9 for 120 minutes).

The hotel is a long way from the centre of the town, not that it was worth making the effort to walk there; it is like a ghost town. Maybe it was the time of year but I was astonished at how few people there were and that everywhere seemed closed.

I cannot imagine any circumstances under which I will find myself visiting Freudenstadt again and if I did, I would be sure to avoid the Hotel Am Park at all costs. There really is nothing to commend about it.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

My lady and I had booked a two night stay in the Hotel Am Park via an offer in Groupon for two nights stay with breakfast and dinner included for around 100 Euros all in. We had read some of the negative reviews on here prior to booking the hotel but threw caution to the wind and decided that if it was too bad to stay we'd find alternative accommodation in Freudenstadt anyway.

We checked in with no problems and were given a room on the end on a corridor on the second floor which was clean, warm and quiet. The shower and bath had instant hot water and was perfectly clean as well which is always a good sign. The room did have a little bit of wear and tear on the carpets but not so much to make it a problem and the TV was a big old and outdated thing but if you're planning on going to the Black Forest to watch TV then you've got problems there in the first place. The bed was comfortable and with clean linen however, as is almost standard with older hotels in Europe, it was two beds put together into one which can be a bit of a nuisance if you both like to sleep central or wrapped up together.

Breakfast was ample with a good selection of meats, cheeses, breads, spreads, cereals, yoghurts, juiced and coffees and the dining room is a pretty and old styled wooden lounge which looks out into the surrounding woods. Dinner is also ample and served in a buffet style with soup, salad (with plenty of pickles) and choice of some typical German main courses (roast meat, vegetables, goulash etc) and a small choice of puddings. You can go back for as much as you like and the standard is pretty good however don't expect to be eating caviar and smoked salmon every night.

The bar was reasonably priced and the local beer, Alpirsbacher, is very good indeed. The service at the bar was a little slow on our first night but very friendly and the bar lady even advised us of how to get a tour of the local brewery, which we did the next day and is highly recommended if you speak German.

The pool and sauna area were clean and spacious and also free. The steam room was out of order when we were there however that wasn't a big drama for us as we are more sauna fans anyway.

The only negatives we had were that the hotel is a little way out of town but we were provided with free public travel cards valid for two days which cover the whole Black Forest, the parking costs 2.50 per day for the underground car park however you can park on the road if you so wish and the hotel is a little bit old and outdated but it was renovated to a good standard apart from the lift.

I have seen that there have been a few comments that the hotel staff speak little English and I can see how that may be an issue however with respect I would suggest that if you are going to go and visit a small town in the middle of nowhere in Germany than it would help to learn or be able to speak a little German anyway. I wouldn't expect to go to a village in the middle of nowhere in England and expect to be able to speak fluent German to all of the staff. This wasn't an issue for us, although I am English we live in Frankfurt, but it may be worth considering bringing a phrase book if German isn't your strongest point. The local accent is strong enough to confuse even fluent German speakers at the best of times!

All in all we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel and would definitely stay there again in the future if we were to find another good deal which represented such good value. The surrounding area is beautiful, even in a wet and foggy October and makes a good base to explore the rest of the Black Forest from.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bridge of Earn, Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

A clean but cold and unwelcoming hotel especially if you are English.
Given our room keys and pointed to the lift to our rooms - alas not told when we arrived there was hot mulled wine (free) for guests. told later by friendly German tourist.
Rooms clean and spacious with a small balcony - but with vinyl floors
All details about anything in hotel were in German - asked for English weather forecast - told we only print them in German.
Hotel 1.8 kilo from town - downhill - approx walking time 40 mins in the snow - nil else near hotel.
Restaurant served a fair variety of meals but alas only on cold plates - so hot meals became cold very quickly.
No tea and coffee facility in rooms - tea 2 euros coffee 2.2 euros - only available from bar - when it is open - which is not all day.
Swimming pool very good - likewise sauna complex - but alas sauna complex not open all day and hours not listed anywhere - you find out each day only by asking at reception desk.
Be prepared to find unclothed men and ladies in the sauna !!
The steam room and plunge pool were not in operation and some showers were not working.
Only German music on one night of christmas stay - with whisky at 5 euros for a 40ml measure and Alpirsbacher pils beer 3.4 euros for 500mls- it made for expensive evenings.
Took me 10 minutes to pay my bar bill - did not get a printout of it - German only speaking receptionist did not understand until I showed her my Visa card - then just added up each days account on calculator .
Enjoyed a walk in the forest close to the hotel.
Be prepared to find dogs in the hotel - not always quiet - hard lines if you have a allergic reaction to them.
Eddie and Doreen Nicholson from Perth Scotland
Dec 22nd 2010

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Am Park? Share your experiences!