“friendly and great for trout” 4 of 5 stars

Konviktstr. 12, Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
0761-383115
Improve this listing
New Haven, Connecticut
“friendly and great for trout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was a really fun place for dinner, where the menu centers around excellent Black Forest trout. We had a wonderful, friendly waitress for dinner, and returned the next day for lunch. Not the gourmet quality of some other local spots, but definitely good food in a fun setting. Interestingly, we had dinner here the same day we had lunch at L'Auberge de L'Ill in Alsace. For approximately 10% of the cost of lunch, dinner was every bit as enjoyable in its own way.

Visited June 2013

73% Recommend
Green Bay, WI
“Lovely, clean restaurant, we came back to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I were here last year in October, and we decided to come back because of the warm ambiance. This time, we have my sister, daughter and son. We were seated in a warm wooden booth, and a very friendly waitress helped us decipher the menu. The black forest trout was the special and it melted in my mouth, perfectly seasoned and delectable. The salad dressing was again, to die for. My husband had the pork steak with spaetzle and liked it, as well. All very yummy in a warm, clean restaurant. Can't get better than that. Many older local people eating here again, as in the last time we were here. That always means good food.
The bathroom is located downstairs, as in many old restaurants and was impeccably clean and cute.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Green Bay, WI
“Local Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My husband, son and I went here with the recommendation of our hotel host. It's a charming small restaurant where the locals come and eat. They were out of the special (fish) that night, but everything we ordered was very tasty. The dressing on my salad was to die for. My son had the pork back steak with cream sauce and spaezle and my husband had the salmon with butterreis. All delicious. Even tho' we were the only ones speaking limited German and English, they treated us well. This place seemed like it had some good down home cooking and we enjoyed it very much. For all three of us, plus 2 Bier and a wine, a desert and coffee, it came to E46,30

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

The food was great. I eat out often in France and love the bistro food - simple but tasty. This was a French bistro type menu done German style. The food was simple but delicious.

My fiance had the rump steak. They didn't ask him how he wanted it but it came beautifully cooked and quite rare with an excellent sauce and great chips. I had an escalope with mushroom sauce. It said in the English and French versions of the menu that it came with potato. This was actually schnitzel of pork with with little noodles of gnocchi. The sauce was amazing.

We also shared a Black Forest dessert. It was really good. Stewed cherries, still tart, served in a hot liqueur. This accompanied cream and vanilla icecream with which it mixed beautifully.

The service was efficient but not overly friendly. I think that this must just be a German thing. The waitress was also really busy as this place seemed to be popular with locals and tourist alike.

A word of warning - I don't know if they do the menu in English. On the opposite wall outside they had brief English and French menus next to a German one. I speak French and the English one did not seem to be that well translated.