“It's Worth the Walk Up the Hill” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: European, Diner, German, Mediterranean
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Choose from a variety of dishes à la carte and enjoy the fantastic view over Freiburg, the Kaiserstuhl and the Vosges mountains. The comfortable and elegant ambience combined with our excellent cuisine will make your stay a special experience.In our appealing premises as well as on the atmospheric terrace you will easily get a holiday feeling.We recommend various lunch menues from 20 - 29 EuroIn the afternoon we serve coffee and tea specialities with gateaux and cakes from our in-house confectionary, which Dattler is famous for.In the evenings you may enjoy a romantic view from our restaurant over the town and its sparkling lights while indulging in your dinner. The cuisine offers special dinner menues, with either meat, fish or vegetarian dishes.
Fribourg, Switzerland
“It's Worth the Walk Up the Hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at he Dattler. The service was excellent as was the food. Compared to Swiss prices (which are absurd), this place was a bargain. It's a family run affair and that makes a difference - they have to stand behind a name after all. I would certainly recommend eating at the Dattler and the walk up the hill. If you are an obese American, take the funiculaire. But go there during the day instead of at night to enjoy the view.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jörg D, Inhaber at Dattler Schlossbergrestaurant, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review. After a hard walk up to us, we do our very best that you can spend a great time at our restaurant.

90% Recommend
Jeddah, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
“in love with this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

this is our 2nd time we visit this place
we love every thing . food. decoration. service and the view to freiburg cathedral.
the problem we had was that ther was no car parking next to the hotel. we stoped in the parking opposit to the resturant and cross the rood. that was a littel bit deffecult for us with the baby stroller.

the resturant is expensive but it deserve every Euro to pay for

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for your review. Only I cannot understand the problem with the parking. There is actually no road to cross, because the road ends at our restaurant and there is no traffic. But anyway, we appreciate that you had a nice stay in our restaurant.
Your sincerely Joerg Dattler
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Great food, but also great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The view is indeed spectacular, the food is excellent (I had Flädlesuppe and Rahmtöpfle), but I would like to say something about the service: I was there with my family (9 adults and 2 extremely lively children!) and the staff was friendly, quick, efficient but also funny and understanding with the kids. We felt very welcome and we enjoyed our evening enormously (we were there to celebrate my in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary).

• Visited August 2013
San Francisco, California
“Best Meal in Germany!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had saved Dattler for our last dinner in Germany & we definitively saved the best for last! Be sure to make your reservations ahead of time to get the window tables!

Perched high on the mountain, you're offered sweeping views of Freiburg & its surrounding Black Forest, while you get to consume the most delish German gourmet food around.

We drove here but there is also a small gondola-type thing that will bring walkers up the hill as well - we got to see it making trips up & down throughout our evening. Also got to see people out walking or playing fetch w/ their dogs in their flowery fields & w/ their panoramic windows granting access to the whole valley, we sure felt as if we were in a picture book

Appetizers included:
Consommé w/ dumplings. Extremely good & the clear meaty broth complimented the little meaty dumplings.

Asparagus Mousse w/ Fried Asparagus Spears & Salad. Outstanding! The asparagus was firm & cooked perfectly so that there was still a bit of crunch & no hint of slimy or stringy.

Mains included:
Risotto - this version was made from white rice & was paired w/ green & white asparagus. Absolutely delish w/ its creamy Parmesan sauce & again, the asparagus was cooked just perfectly

Sander (Pike) Fillets w/ Mashed Potatoes for Mom. Beef Entrecôte w/ Frites for Dad. Both said the Frites were the best they had ever had

Desserts included:
Sorbet Assortment for Daddy - He liked mango best. Lemon & raspberry were also part of the assortment & he liked them as well...but he loved the mango

Banana split for Mom. She loved the chocolate sauce.

Mr & I got the Nut Ice Cream w/ Eggnog Liquor. Super awesome - we really liked the hazelnut taste w/ the eggnog bite of the liquor

Nice cognac to end the evening & see the city lights twinkle

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jörg D, Inhaber at Dattler Schlossbergrestaurant, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you very much, for your friendly and detailed review. We appreciate that you enjoyed the stay in our restaurant. We hope to see you again. Nice greetings to the wonderful city of San Francisco, that I love very much.
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Awful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I proposed this place to my friends after reading some good reviwes on Tripadvisor. If I ever go there again, I'll make sure to choose my server first!

Ok the view is wonderful and scenic. It's the only restaurant on Schlossberg mountain so they kinda have a monopoly up there. But that is no reason to be hostile to your customers!!!

We only had coffee and desert and the quality was rather good which is the only reason why this review is somewhat moderate.

I hope management reviews the people they trust to work for them cuz the rest of the restaurant is pretty fine.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jörg D, Inhaber at Dattler Schlossbergrestaurant, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry, that you where disappointed about our service. But first of all, why don't you tell what has happened. I can even not imagine what the reason for your complaint is. Thsi is not very helpful. It would have been more helpful to inform me directly during your visit and not over a review that does not say anything concrete. But if there was anything bad, I appologize for this, but unfortunately I can not change anything for the future, because I do not know what.