“they have opened till midnight, great food, but slow” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Frankfurt, Germany
“they have opened till midnight, great food, but slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was there twice. I simply love this restaurant, because they have many variations of food base on potatoes, which is wow! I ate first some baked potatoes with 3 sauces, which were really good(something with olives and tomatoes, another one with shrimps and a guacamole one). They were so good, that I just couldnt eat all. unfortunately, we had to wait like 30-40 min till the food came, but I say that somehow it worths. and i love that when they bring the bill, they offer you lollipops and candies. i love it!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

basel
“Not really vegan although advertised as such”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

My husband and i ate here last night and as vegans were totally disappointed. Firstly it took 40 minutes to get food and it wasn't busy. Aside from that we ordered from the vegan menu. I had the oven potato with 3 dips. My husband had the salad with pan fried mushrooms. The salad was actually ok. But my potato came as it would from the oven- natur. The 3 dips were all from jars ( we checked with the kitchen and they confirmed) purchased from al natura. Not bad in itself but vegan sandwich paste which is dry in itself is not something I'd add onto a fluffy dry oven potato. These spreads are for bread/ sandwiches. It was all so dry it was inedible. I had to order more water to get through the meal. We gave feedback and the staff seemed receptive. Although mainly they seemed stressed and a little aloof. We waited another 20 minutes to have our plates cleared and another 15 for the bill. 32 euros for 1 salad. 1 dry potato with sandwich paste. 1 ginger juice and one berry juice (all shop bought ) yes we checked. I wouldn't go back and think its misleading to advertise as vegan when the staff and kitchen don't really understand what a vegan meal requires. Shame.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
“Potatoes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

If you like potatoes and all derivatives out of potatoes you have to eat in this restaurant.

Pottstown
“Friendly place - great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Freiburg-im-Breisgau is a stylish, laid back university town nestled near the Black Forest region of Germany. The Kartoffelhaus reflects the attributes of the town. The building and interior of the restaurant is stylish and eclectic, the staff is friendly and accommodating and they manage to keep the atmosphere laid-back despite a packed house of local residents and tourists like us.
The food is very stylish and original with, of course, the Kartoffel or potato, as the star attraction. The menu appeals to many tastes and diets. My wife and I gravitated to the place as it features many vegetarian dishes and emphasizes natural organic foods.
The Kartoffelhaus seems to be a favorite of the locals as it appeared we were the only Americans in the house. There is only one English menu but as in most parts of Germany, English is spoken by many and the Kartoffelhaus staff is no different. It did, however, give us a chance to utilize the German we were learning. People are appreciative of the fact you try to speak the language. Somehow it is easier and more fun in restaurants with good food and beer.
The food is plentiful, the price is reasonable and one can taste the quality of the ingredients and the creative effort of the cooks. The atmosphere was fun and upbeat. It was definitely one of the best times we had eating out in Deutschland. Das Restaurant war hervorragend!

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Holly, Michigan
“Good family food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

For Americans, or anyone, used to meat and potatoes, this is a very comfortable restaurant to take your family. I will say that we did not encounter any English speakers, but the servers were very friendly and patient with us as we "read" through the menu and ordered. I thought the dinners were a good value for a filling dinner and we enjoyed the wine! Like many restaurants in Freiburg, it is in a really cool building, too.

• Visited March 2011