“Very Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Abarin Hotel

You added Abarin Hotel to your Saves list
Abarin Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rotenbachtalstrasse 30, 76530 Baden-Baden, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany   |
Ranked #52 of 55 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Hampshire
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed in the Abarin Hotel Baden Baden on 26/07/14 and did not enjoy the experience at all.
After the marvellous service, friendly staff and excellent food which we had enjoyed in all the Austrian parts of our stay, I was very disappointed.
I booked this as the last night of our holiday and decided on a 4 star hotel as a fitting end to our week away - let me tell you, that this is not a 4 Star Hotel in our eyes. I will list all the problems.
1) Initial Impression. Despite ringing the hotel that afternoon to advise that we would be late due to bad traffic (when they acknowledged that we did have a booking), when we arrived, the place was practically deserted. Only one member of staff was there and he couldn't find our booking. Instead of looking after us, he marched off with a phone and left us standing in reception for about 15 minutes before he gave us a key. No word of apology or explanation.
2) Room & Decor. The hotel is very run down and shabby. I have taken pictures of the torn wallpaper in our room, the scribbling on the wall in my son's room, and water damage on the balcony and all round the exterior of the property. I can produce these as evidence. Our room also smelt strongly of cigarette smoke and left me with a bad throat.
3) Evening Food. Despite boasting a restaurant with an extensive menu on the Booking.com website, this was not at all in evidence. We were told that pizzas were available and that we should walk to the breakfast room. We were left completely alone for over 15 minutes with no staff in sight. In the end we gave up, got back in the car (not welcome since we'd been driving for 6 hours already) and ate in the town. Remember that this was a saturday night - why was there no restaurant?
4) Breakfast - easily the worst breakfast of the week. The tables were laid late despite breakfast starting at 7am. We had to ask for butter which came straight from the freezer and was impossible to spread. Once the breakfast meats/cheese/milk and orange juice ran out they were not replenished.
5) More Administration Problems - when I paid the bill I told the Receptionist that we had not enjoyed our stay. She didn't even ask me why as she was too busy trying to find us on the hotel booking system as our name was not against our room number of 105. First she tried to give me someone else's bill and then located my name against a different room number. Surely this is a Health and Safety infringement? If there had been a fire or other emergency, the hotel would not have know who was in each room.
Booking.com are being extremely helpful and providing a refund despite the hotel not answering any calls/emails. They are pursuing the matter directly with the hotel now.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms. 105 was quiet, but there was a bright light outside. Eve...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Grafenwohr, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Hotel Abarin is not a 4 star hotel, that is for sure, although they advertise as one.

This hotel had some positives and some negatives, making it pretty average in general.

Positives: At first glance the hotel seems quaint with updated modern rooms, although the building itself looks quite old. It has a nice garden in the back and is surrounded by trees. Walking into town from the hotel is a short 12 -15 minute walk on wooded trails, so it has a pretty convenient location. It's also only about a 12 minute walk to Caracalla Therme, which was a plus! Breakfast was your average German breakfast of rolls, meats, cheeses and yogurts. The hotel also has its own parking lot.

Negatives: After our positive first impression, things started to go downhill. Our windows were left open, which is not uncommon in Germany, but this allowed moths and tons of spiders to just wander in before we arrived since there are no screens in these windows. Spiders were all over the ceiling of the bathroom spinning webs. My husband squished them and we thought we'd be done with it, but they kept coming back and we couldn't find from where. Since the hotel is located in the woods, it's expected to find a spider or two, but by the end of our 2 night trip we found maybe 40 total in our bathroom as well as the lobby bathroom. Breakfast was average as I said before, but I was a little concerned that some of the items, such as the yogurt, didn't seem to be kept at an appropriate temperature. When cleaning up the day we were leaving, we checked under the beds to be sure nothing of ours had slipped under there, and we found huge dust and hair balls as well as trash from other users under our bed. The cleaning staff must not be very thorough, because that dust must have accumulated over a very long period of time!

So in summary, nice location, convenient parking, updated rooms, average breakfast. However, the hotel also showed a lack of cleanliness, many spiders, and questionable food temperatures.

I do not think it was worth the price we paid for 2 nights.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We booked through booking.com and this hotel had solid reviews. We had three main problems with this hotel. First, it was one of the worst nights of sleep we've ever had! The bed was so uncomfortable, we could have been sleeping on the floor and neither of us slept very much because of it. Second, there was no internet in the rooms. Third, they advertised that you could pay with a credit card, but insisted we pay with cash when we arrived. There were other problems too- the hotel was advertised online as 4 star, but it definitely wasn't! While the room was a good size, the bathroom was small and the shower was awful. There was a lot of mold/mildew on the ceiling and they didn't provide any soap or shampoo. Also, there was no air conditioning in our room so we had to choose between leaving the window open and hearing road noise all night or closing it and being a bit warm. Breakfast was included with our room, but I've had far better breakfasts in Germany. The hotel also had a spa, which was part of the reason we booked with them, but when we inquired about a massage we were told the masseuse was on vacation during August- one of the busiest months of the year! In terms of positives, the main bedroom area was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. They also had a free parking lot (an actual lot, not a garage). Unfortunately for us, the negatives of this hotel far outweighed the positives.

Stayed August 2014
Mechelen, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Positives

- The hotel was decent and location was good.
- Staff was friendly and helpful.
- Enough options for break fast.
- Sauna was included in the room price.
- Parking space.
- Nice view from Balcony.

Negatives

- In spite of asking for family room we were given two separate rooms.
- Rooms were really small and bathrooms were cramped.
- By no means it was 4 star hotel.
- Broken wash basins overhead and faulty heaters.
- No soap in one of the bath room.
- WiFi Was free but could not be accessed from hotel rooms. Needed to go near elevator to get the access.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Godalming, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was staying at this hotel whilst attendiung a business seminar regularly held in the town. Due to the high attendance each year hotel rooms are at a premium - and don't the hoteliers know it!!
I was forced to have to book/pay for a minimum 5 nights even though only needed 3 - and the price charged was an extortionate €250 per night !!!! A week later the price drops to £93 !!
This might have been acceptable had the hotel been in a convenient position to the town and of a decent standard - but no.

The walk into the town is at least 20mins downhill - great, but not when returning. The taxi fare is around €11.50 each way.

First night there when made my way to my room (no.114 - well worth avoiding if representative of a typical room - as you'll see) the landing light bulb did not work - when reported itr was met with a smile and shrug of the shoulders, and wasn't repaired until the third night.

The doors are locked at 11pm and you need to take your room key with you to get access back after that.

The Room - where to start - a single, it was very poor, reminiscient of a 1970's youth hostel with dated furniture and carpets. The hotl bumf said there would be a TV and telephoe in the room as standard - well there was a photocopied instruction booklet for a TV but, alas no set!!
And no phone - which I suppose avoids anyone ringing down to reception to complain!!

The bathroom - marginally wider than my shoulders, if using the sink it is necessary to leave the door open to allow yourself to stand in front of it. If you wish to wash your face you are required to step back bend down and position your head under the overhanging shelf inches above the basin - don't forget otherwise you'll crack your head when standing up again!

The shower - pretty average - at least water was hot and pressure good.

Toiletries - for €250 a night I foolishly presumed that some reasonable toiletries would be provided - how wrong. All that was available was a sachet of shampoo and a bar of soap (I think)measuring 1 inch x 2 inches. Therefore a trip to the local supermarket (20 mins walk) was necessary.

Noise - the windows appear to be all single glazing - room 114 faces the busy road (bypass?) and I might as well have been sleeping on the kerb such was the noise from it begining around 5.00am.

The bed is a narrow fixed thing and the bedding consisted of a single duvet over plain white sheets. There is a mini-bar - which might have been useful if I'd wanted to drown my sorrows.

Cleaning - well my duvet was folded up on my bed each night and the towels changed, and bathroom looked ok - however caught a very large insect on the first night and left it under a glass on the desk thinking it might be cleared away - I left it there on my departure 3 days later

Breakfast - all self service - previous trip reports sang high praise for this so expectation was great - another schoolby error - yes, there was a variety of sorts - 2 cereals (small bowls), yoghurt, croissants, fruit, continental stuff - the cooked element was usually powdered scramled egg and sausages - however not the appetizing spread portrayed in other reports.

All in all very disappointing - mind you there are other horror stories - during this week Badeb Baden takes full advantage of those viositing to rake in as much cash as possible - a shame for a beautiful city/town which is obviously affluent - probably on thye back of conferences like these!!

When checking out (at 8.30am) two of my credit cards were rejected - until when at the 5th attempt the machine changed its mind - but woud only accept part payment - the same scenario with the 2nd card.

Asked to book taxi to get to meeting point to be told no taxi's would be available until after 9pm - without even trying to locate one.

They seemed very happy to acceept my payment .......and I was very happy to depart.

This is the first time I've felt compelled to write a review of this sort - be warned do not go here expecting too much !!

Room Tip: Don't take Room 114 !!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is set just out of the main centre of Baden Baden up a slight hill. About 10/15 minutes walk. Carcella Spa, which is on the outskirts of Baden Baden is one of the first things you see entering Baden Baden so we were quite happy about this as it was on our list of places to visit (would recommend by the way).

We had booked a family room and were surprised when we got there that the children had their own bedroom which was separated from our room by a small hallway and bathroom, which was a great bonus.

Our room had a veranda but it was a bit shabby so we didn't use it.

There is a fridge in the room which was great touch except ours didn't work.

We also had a fan which helped as it was quite hot and there is no air conditioning.

Parking is free and so is the WIFI but we found we couldn't use it in the room but it worked if you sat in reception.

Breakfast wasn't the best we have ever had but it was OK. Put it this way the second day the kids couldn't be bothered with it.

Room Tip: If you are going to Carcella Spa mention at reception and you are given a pass which gives you a fre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bagram, Afghanistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel room was on the top floor in the corner so the ceiling was slanted and cut off a bit of room space. There is a path out the back so you can walk to the town center where all the shops and restaurants are. The internet here was free and relatively fast. The breakfast offered a good selection and was replenished quickly by the staff.

Room Tip: The top floor corner room is not recommended for people over 6 ft as the ceiling sloped and cut off...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Abarin Hotel? Share your experiences!