“Not a Hotel Not a Chalet” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Gelinotte

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Val d'Isere
Hotel La Gelinotte
You added Hotel La Gelinotte to your Saves list
Route de la Balme, 73150 Val d'Isere, France   |
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Cambridge
“Not a Hotel Not a Chalet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was my first stay with Ski Power and will be my last. They call it a hotel but it is not, it is not even a chalet, I have skied with many other companies in my 40 odd years of skiing mostly in chalets but sometimes using hotels and Ski Power are nearly at the bottom of the list, they seem to use every opportunity to extract the extra euro from you, wine extra with your meal, if you dont use their recommended ski hire shop you get charged, if you dont buy ski pass from them you get charged. Ski hosting they say is included but you have to pay to book a place, a complete joke as we were the only people taking up the option. The ski host did not turn up on one day, no one let us know, previous years whilst taking up the option of ski hosting with other companies it was a social event with other guests, not with Ski Power, they take out just the group that booked with them. I like many of the other guests staying the week we were there were surprised that we were staying in France but you dont have that wonderful French bread but you have bake in the oven bread you can buy in the UK, and can you believe you dont get bread with your evening meal, some guests started to buy their own bread. My estimate that at least 50% of the guests were not happy whilst I was there.
On the positive side in general the meals were very good and I think I had one of the best vegetarian meals I have ever eaten.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
AlpineElementsTeam, Manager at Hotel La Gelinotte, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that your experience with Ski Power was not a positive one, however this property is now under a different management and all systems, staff and policies have changed.

We are putting our trusted Service & Catering Programme into this property and making many new changes to the layout and decor of the building. It will be run as a hotel by a professional hotel manager and not as a chalet or chalet-hotel. The poster is correct in assuming it can only work as one or the other. A hotel or a chalet (not a quirky combination of the two). You will now receive a la carte hotel service and professional staff from our Hotels arm. It will not be run as a chalet-style property.

We do appreciate this post which highlights the changes we have made and I do hope that you would consider returning to the Gelinotte with Alpine Elements

Best Regards
Clare Smith - Head of UK Operations

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This was my second stay with Ski Power in Val d'Isere. Thanks to Gary and his staff: Simone, James, Danny, Jamie, Jenny, Kelly and Sam for looking after me for two weeks. They were very friendly and nothing was too much to ask. The rooms were clean and tidy and the food was exceptional. Great service at a great price. If I could I'd be back there tomorrow.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

SUMMARY – Terrific friendly staff, Good food by a proper chef, Comfortable and spacious bedrooms and public areas, Friendly atmosphere, Good guiding, EXCELLENT ALLROUND VALUE. I get a season ticket for Val d’Isere every year and the Gelinotte is my preferred chalet. I stay in the Gelinotte 3-4 weeks a year – JUST BOOK, YOU WON’T BE DISAPPOINTED!

SERVICE - Terrific friendly staff. I won’t name names as they are all great. Pip runs bookings slickly and the managers (Gary and Simone) have a great team this year. I think they all do a great job (way better than most places!!) and have no complaints whatsoever. The guiding (though I don’t use it) always gets the thumbs up from other guests

CATERING – Excellent all-round good food by a proper chef. Good quality. Way better than those so-called upmarket small chalets staffed by people who couldn’t boil an egg – you know the ones I mean guys!!). I also have food intolerances (dairy and wheat) and the guys were super helpful in adjusting their menu for me individually. 5 stars!!

Plenty for breakfast, Afternoon cakes (the chef is one of the few people who can bake decent cakes at altitude!!). Good varied evening menu. Good wine list (extra cost – which is the right way to do it). Cooked breakfast is extra – which I think is fair, who wants one everyday?

ROOMS / SLEEP QUALITY - Comfortable and spacious bedrooms and public areas. Comfortable beds and one of the quietest nights sleep in Val d’Isere. Good full sized bath, good shower, hot water at all times and good storage.

CLEANLINESS – all good, it’s not brand new but it’s clean and comfortable. The staff work hard and keep it clean – no complaints

LOCATION – if you don’t know it, bring a map. It’s just off the (only) road that runs parallel to the main road and look for the blue lights. Just up a small and not steep hill. It’s a few mins walk to the bus stop (buses go every few mins) so door to slopes averages about 10 mins. 5-7 minute walk to centre.

And the upside - one of the quietest nights sleep in Val d’Isere! No drunken (British) revelers on the way back from Dicks at 3 in the morning shouting wakening you up

VALUE – OK if you read this far, you get the picture ☺!! EXCELLENT ALLROUND VALUE. I get a season ticket for Val d’Isere every year and the Gelinotte is my preferred chalet. I stay in the Gelinotte 3-4 weeks a year – JUST BOOK, YOU WON’T BE DISAPPOINTED!

Ski Power offers a great package, great staff and great value for money.

Way better than those so called upmarket small chalets!!

Phil B

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My 16 year old son and myself stayed in this hotel for a week. All the staff went out of their way to make the stay as perfect as possible. we arrived at the hotel at about 20.00 and the chef had stayed to cook us dinner. Our ensuite twin room with balcony was clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was cleaned every day whilst we were out sking. A special mention to the chalet maids who made by son's stay excellent. They have given him a number of ideas about what to do when he has finished his A levels and have remained in touch as promised to give him help and advice. The food was first class and our party of 6 ate everthing put in front of them and clean plates went back every meal time.

The only small gripe was the lack of anything different to eat at breakfast, but in the main the meals were plentyfull.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Fun clean and amazingly friendly staff.
if you need anything they will help strait away.
Hotel manger is very helpful and gives great advise to you about ski runs and activities.
Amazing choices of food and i fully recomended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We arrived home yesterday after a great holiday in Val d'isere (fabulous ski conditions) and enjoyed our stay at Hotel La Gelinotte. It's a Chalet style hotel, comfortable, clean and warm, with friendly staff and in a good location, We used the Bensbus from Grenoble (excellent service) and were dropped off at Gare Routiere in the village centre at 00.30hrs. The hotel is a only a short walk from the main street of the village but it is is on a hill and not that easy to find on first arrival! We could see the blue lights that Simone (Manager) had told us to look for but couldn't see how to reach it. After a long journey from the UK, trundling luggage up and down a snowy road in the early hours of the morning isn't what you want (taxis at that time of day are not in abundance). A small sign at the end of the driveway (steep slope up to hotel entrance) would help resolve this minor issue.
Our room was small and basic, but it was spotlessly clean and ensuite with hot water and a powerful. shower. The feel of this place is very informal and chalet style It was just a good place to chill out in after a day on the slopes and chat with fellow guests. The management are very friendly, informative and helpful and the staff are all game for a laugh. A special mention to Jason (chef), Kat and Kelly, for their friendliness and also to James and Danny who are excellent ski hosts. I was holidaying with my 19 year old son, who is a far better skier than me, and both of them enabled him get the most out of his stay by accompanying him on runs that I wouldn't dare attempt! The staff also have an extensive knowledge of the apres-ski and nightlife and guests were invited along on on more than one occasion
There are however a few down points.The biggest one is directed at Ski Power, the tour operator for their tactics in charging extra for items that are deemed as standard with other providers. This was my 2nd trip with Ski Power - I stayed in Chalet Nelly in Le Praz, Courchevel in 2010 and on that occasion I raved about the meals, from the delicious cooked breakfast to the 5 course dinner. This time around unfortunately I can't give the same feedback! Breakfast is now continental only and not at all great. Be aware that it will cost you an extra €6,50 per person, per day if you want a hot cooked breakfast which for 2 people x 7 days will add an extra €91.00 to your basic holiday price. The evening meals are average quality - chef does his best on a very tight budget (his Lamb Shank and poached Pear were delicous) and a €6.00 charge for a glass of wine with dinner (which is free in Ski Power Chalets) also felt like a rip off. Another cost to be aware of is that if you want a change of towels mid week it will cost you €3,50 per person. The sauna was also out of order for much of the week.
On a couple of occasions I was disturbed by loud music and noise from staff returning to the hotel in the early hours of the morning which is impolite and not what I would expect from this kind of hotel. But overall Simone and her team were excellent and do their best to make sure their guests have a great holiday.
In a wider context Val d'isere is a great place to ski and the village has a nice atmosphere, although it is an expensive resort.. If you do go make time to go to the leisure complex next to the Olympic lift! Entry to the pool is free with your lift pass and its a fantastic complex. More akin to a private club than the public pools we have in the UK.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are larger and have better views over the valley
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Firstly, if you can't be bothered to read the whole review, just know that 'Hotel La Gelinotte' is a friendly, sociable, and awesome place to stay in Val d'Isere.

I'm currently traveling around different resorts in Europe - both Val d'Isere and the Hotel La Gelinotte have set a standard which will be difficult to beat!

Traveling out with my sister, who was a first time snowboarder, we arrived late, near midnight, but were greeted warmly and enthusiastically by Kelly, Christina and Cat, who'd kept some much needed food ready for us arriving.

Our room was compact but all we needed - comfy beds and an ensuite with a hot shower.

Gary and Simone have done a top job creating a chilled and sociable atmosphere in the Hotel-come-Chalet, obviously helped by the staff, and it seems like a meeting place for quite a few seasonaires who were always happy to share some advice or info.
There was always a real youthful buzz, with people seeming genuinely interested in your day, and it was helped by the sort of open-plan nature of the social areas, and bar!

I spent an excellent day on the slopes with Jason and Danny on their day off.
And a special mention about ski host James - after a tough week for my sister learning to snowboard, James went out and helped her on the last day, and did an excellent job.

What else... the food and service - excellent. It seemed like everyone was involved during the evening meal to ensure it went smoothly.

The staff also have an extensive knowledge of the apres-ski and nightlife, and we were invited along on on more than one occasion. Christina does a good job of leading the way!
We also celebrated Australia Day with them which was an excellent laugh, and a good night out.

I could go on, and hopefully I'll get back before the end of the season.

Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Gelinotte? Share your experiences!