“3rd week in the Cham, and the best one yet !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Restaurant Le Chamois d'Or

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Val d'Isere
Hotel Restaurant Le Chamois d'Or
You added Hotel Restaurant Le Chamois d'Or to your Saves list
73150 Val d'Isere, France   |
Ranked #29 of 42 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Northampton Uk
“3rd week in the Cham, and the best one yet !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Organising a large ski group as I do every year, it helps me when I find a tour operator who is understanding and helpful...... enter SKI VAL.

1. Ski Val - the tour operators who run the Chamois D'Or are without doubt THE most customer friendly and focussed team I have ever worked with. From start to finish, the booking, the payment, the amendments to the booking, the greeting at the airport, the running of the accommodation, the friendliness of staff etc.
1. The Chamois D'Or - Location, cannot be beaten, The way its run and managed - cannot be beaten, accommodation options for a large group - cannot be beaten. All this for a price that is great for Val (and I speak from experience of avoiding Val for that very reason - costs). The accommodation has had a slight bit of a refurb in some common areas and some rooms. I would say they are all comfortable, and the common areas are great - really excellent for what a Chalet is all about, cosy, comfortable and ideal for socialising. It wont be everyones cup of tea if you are used to luxury, but this is our 3rd year in a row for a group of between 40-50, that I think speaks volumes.
The way the accommodation is run is refreshing, previously Dave had managed the Cham, this year Ben managed the Cham - both have a similar outlook and that is 'the customer comes first'. Guest satisfaction and comfort is paramount - they treat us like royalty, we treat them like part of the family.
Each year I write back to Ski Val thanking them for making the week fantastic, this year was no exception, I thought it could not get any better (we were lucky with the snow and weather which does help), but it did, Ben runs this Chalet the way everyone needs to run their Chalets - take note all you big corporate tour operators.....
Food was great, excellent chef, difficult to make such good meals on a low budget but we even had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for brekky one day !
Last and very important point - They have Peroni on tap in the Chalet bar at UK prices, come on, that alone is a reason to go back.........

Fab-u-lous !

Room Tip: There are a wide selection of rooms from twins, to quads - depends on what you need. We've had r...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

Great value all round. No issues whatsoever for the money.

• Stayed January 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Apparently management have changed recently.... I was left unimpressed.

Main issue was the meagre breakfast... bread is rationed at the Chamois d'Or and sliced into crouton-sized morsels. If you'd like some more you'd better ask several times and wait until the lifts close in the evening. Then when asking doesn't work (and SEVERAL did, SEVERAL times), the only way there was any change was when someone rang head office. Ditto coffee and the dried up cornflakes. God forbid if you want fruit. They don't do it here.

Managerial response was childish and confrontational.

Some of the junior staff were good and trying hard but were undermined by their seniors.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011 via mobile

Well where do I start.... Having recently returned from our holiday in the Chamois d'Or, I that I must congratulate Ski-Val on the truly excellent team that work in the hotel. Having read earlier reviews I was a little worried about the hotel but the staff, food and general atmosphere definitely make up for any shortfalls in the building. Being able to talk to intelligent staff that are not normal seasonal workers makes such a difference and really added to our stay. SKi-Val have found the right formula in this hotel with the right location, the laid back feel and the right price. Congratulations to Ben, Dave and the team for making our ski holiday worth every penny that we paid for it. THANK YOU!!

• Stayed April 2011
Horsham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I stayed here with as part of a group of 8 people in late March 2011.

The good bits: The hotel is located at the base the the Face run, so great in the morning - just walk to the back of the hotel and pop your skis on, and you're off. To return to the hotel you had to either ski the Face, or you could ski to the other side of the river and walk across, about 300 metres from the hotel. We also did a day's guiding with Ben, which was fun and fast. He took us to a good value lunch stop that we returned to later in the week.

So location was good, about a 15 minute walk (you could do it quicker) along the roads to the centre of Val d'Isere.

The food in the hotel was good, better than expected. The wine was plentiful, and not too bad for chalet hotel wine.

The bad bits: God, the hotel is in a dire state. The carpets are ripped, there is paint and plaster falling off the walls, The baths are stained and mouldy (and really narrow - I'm not fat by any stretch of the imagination, but the bath was cramped). We had hot water 3 days out of 6, lukewarm on the other days.

The furniture in the room is odd, the wood panelling was coming off the ceiling and the walls. Ironically, the heating was on full blast all day and night, to the extent that we kept the bedroom window open all week. If they turned the heating down, they would surely save money quickly enough to do a little tarting up of the building.

My overall advice - don't go here. For a little more money (£50-£100), you can stay somewhere far nicer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

Following my return from the Chamois D'or in Val I felt compelled to share my opinions about the hotel. Celebrating our anniversary, my partner and I had the most wonderful time at the Chamois D'Or. Although the hotel is in dire need of refurbishment, the staff, food, location and atmosphere more than make up for it. Lindsey, John and Polly deserve a special mention for the effort they went to make our stay enjoyable, employing a 'nothing is to much trouble'attitude. The food was excellent ranging from duck to delicious malaysian curry and the cakes were always something to look forward to after a hard days skiing. The location in terms of skiing is unparalleled however, it must be noted that you need to be a competent skier to ski the run back to the Chamois D'Or. All in all thanks to Ben and his team for a fabulous week and my partner and I would not think twice when booking for next year or when recommending it to others!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

The chalet is quite shabby. It was a disappointment when we found that the big fire place wasn't operational as that was one of the main reasons we chose it. The food is fine but don't expect it to be amazing. It's more like a pleasant filler than delicious food. If you want a foodie place you'll be disappointed but if you want somewhere where the food is nice, then it's fine. The staff really make it though. Without exception no task was too big or small for any of them.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Restaurant Le Chamois d'Or? Share your experiences!