“Not your usual Mark Warner!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chalet Hotel Moris

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Val d'Isere
Chalet Hotel Moris
You added Chalet Hotel Moris to your Saves list
Val d'Isere, Val d'Isere, France   |
Ranked #37 of 40 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not your usual Mark Warner!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had read the reviews carefully and had set our expectations low however we were still disappointed.The positives-Location good-Jono the manager so friendly,positive and helpful(although he won't be there for the entire season-Having taken over at short notice he will have to do a real turn around job on the staff who really only did the basics in terms of service and cleaning.The group Skiing is a nice idea and good way to see the area and find good lunch stops.Food not bad but service slow at night which was frustrating.
The negatives:-run down-really needs renovated/extreme makeover but not just that the place felt dirty-rooms could be cold at times-had to get extra blankets.We were sick with D+V for 2 days(as were many of our party)-only to be told to use the hand sanitiser at the bar and then we found out a lot of other guests and been sick(NORO virus was doing the rounds)-as such hotel should have had a deep clean and people informed in advance so they could take precautions.There was no blind/curtain in the bathroom-locks didn't work,lighting poor in rooms.Small bar are could be nice but half used by serving staff and dirty dishes sitting about in area aswell as staff socialising there.We knew about the noise at night and brought our earplugs which helped.Teenage children enjoyed it though!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Alton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I read all the reviews and conveyed them to my wife - "just the right place for you then", and she was right, I was going on my own anyhow. So I picked up the phone the next morning and booked a weeks skiing at the Moris and it was one of the best. Everyone was very friendly and the skiing top class, andI had the option of group skiing which was good as there were some concerns that I was going off skiing on my own. Tthe room was basic but cosy and very warm, perfect for the amount of time I spent in it. The music in the hotel bar below was loud but very good. I live out in the country so for me it was extreme but that was what made it so good, awesome, I have booked up for more of the same this year..........

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the first floor to the front of the hotel over the bar, there are some great b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

A fun way to see in the New Year with Mark Warner....and a Chalet with a certain degree of its own unique charm.... There are many good things about the Moris...the food, the guests and the staff..it's fun..unfortunately you will need your ear plugs and the floor will move until the early hours of the morning to the music from the pub downstairs! Additionally, the single beds are narrow and uncomfortable and the place, whilst clean, is tired with holes in the stair carpets...However, it is a fun and friendly place in a great location in a great resort...

Stayed January 2014
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I am trying to be totally objective here as I understood before booking, as I have been to Val many times, that the Moris had rooms that were affected by noise from the Pub on the ground floor but had I realised that a live band played until after 1AM shaking the building to its foundations then I would have gone elsewhere.
The room was shabby in the extreme with "lighting" so dim that I had to use the torch on my phone to see in the wardrobe. The whole place is worn out. Loo seats falling off, window catches inoperable, door locks which don't turn, holes in filthy carpets.
Now the good bits.......Jono the manager ever cheerful and friendly, food fine for price paid except don't try the porridge which was best described as gravel in water. Wine very poor quality......buy your own and keep under table.
If you are of the younger generation you will enjoy the atmosphere here. If you want to sleep at night go somewhere else.
Last moan.....why do Mark Warner use such ludicrously early flight times ? Now the evil ESF have succeeded in banning the ski hosting I cannot see any reason now to go with Mark Warner anymore. Shame as I have had many good holidays with them at Val.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I first stayed here 25 yrs ago and as frequently reported it hasn't changed much. Sure it's scruffy, noisy, basic and looking very tired. But to dwell on that is missing the point, absolutely you wouldn't bring your girlfriend if you wanted to impress her, but if having fun was the deal then this is a good place! Room 3 is a top choice if you want peace and quiet with en suite. Its a real shame that gaelic paranoia has resulted in cessation of ski hosting, that was one of MW selling points. So the Moris is basic but it does hsve a charm thst brings you back.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Guildford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed at the Moris Easter weekend 2013. My room was basic but clean, I had a sink but shared the shower and toilet. Both were clean and always available when I need them. For hot water either go for a wash early 4pm straight off the slope or late just before dinner 7.30ish. The walls are paper thin and I was woken in the night a few times but I still slept ok. The noise from the pub didn't go on late and I didn't really notice it.

I travelled on my own, the tables at dinner are large tables for 8+ and there were plenty of solo traveller like me and everyone socialised. The food was amazing, we had three choices for each course. Afternoon tea was also great with a choice of sweet and savoury food.

Ski guiding has now been banned in France but social skiing was organised by our rep Charlie. Three group with a suggested route with all three groups meeting for lunch. I skied in the fast group and 'Fast Eddie' set the route and I had an amazing week of skiing.

I would def recommend Val and Tignes for skiing and if you are travelling on your own the Moris was great to find like mined people who love skiing.

Room Tip: I had a room on the third floor, it was away from the noise of the pub but it is under the staff flo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

So after having such an awesome time staying at the Moris last year, I returned, as do many guests.

This time I was allocated a roomshare, we got on brilliantly well and she was a perfect roomie! (phew)

The best thing was knowing so many of the returning guests when I walked in! It was a great group last year, and they had all come back. Had a wonderful week, lots of laughs, amazing skiing and just fantastic company.

However, I do wonder how much longer Mark Warner can continue to charge the prices they do for this hotel without spending anything on updating it, because although it's great fun, it's not great value. It remains as old and tired as ever but this year, because they lost the Cygnaski, prices stayed very high in the Moris.

Our room was clean enough, no complaints there - but that dodgy plumbing really does stink at times! Those bathrooms needed replacing 20 years ago and surely MW could stretch to some new stair carpet?

We had our own toilet and shower in the room, which I would always do as I wouldn't want to stay there and share facilities with other guests. It was clean and there was plenty of storage space - but only ONE plug socket.

I do feel the lack of ski hosting was a shame. It's always been such a huge part of the MW experience. They did their best by handing out itineraries and arranging lunch stops but of course it's not the same. Luckily I could ski with all the friends I made last year - the Moris is the best hotel for this as there are no family groups.

Perhaps because there were no hosts, I felt that the staff in the hotel really didn't mingle with or speak to the guests much at all, they simply had nothing to do with us. The only one who really chatted to us was Carly. The rest, I couldn't have told you their names, they all kept themselves to themselves. They were perfectly polite, said hello, served dinner and did their jobs - but that's all. Gilly the hotel manager is lovely, and I've met her on past MW holidays, but it would have been nice if the rest of the staff could have spoken to us more.

The food was a bit variable this week as well - sometimes it was absolutely delicious (the mullet), sometimes average (the tough beef). No complaints though, I know the chef is good.

So all in all, it was a BRILLIANT week, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. I know I will be back next year, because scruffy and smelly as the Moris is, I do love it! I must have missed the lairy, beered up blokes though; clearly they were all staying the week before. All the guests were lovely, and there were more women this time too.

My only comment to MW would be - please spend some money on refurbing this hotel at long last, because the pricing is a bit of a cheek. You may start losing some returning guests..

Also, ask the staff to mingle with the guests a bit more.

To anyone thinking of staying here; it's noisy, run down and smelly but you'll have the time of your life. If you prefer a few more home comforts and a good night's sleep, go and stay in the Chalethotel Val d'Isere instead (the other MW hotel).

Room Tip: Get an ensuite room if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Chalet Hotel Moris? Share your experiences!