“Not that bad at all” 4 of 5 stars

Rue de la Legettaz, 73150 Val d'Isere, France   |
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Not that bad at all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I booked the trip before I looked at tripadviser . Then I was very nervous due to the incredible number of bad reviews, but I must say that I can´t recognize any of that . We were well received at the reception , and the proprietor was friendly and smiling. We put a deposit of 100 euros. At no time during the stay we had problems with the holder or other staff at the hotel. We had ordered final cleaning, but before room inspection we had vacuumed, emptied the fridge , dried kitchen counter and stove off. When she had finished the inspection, she said we could keep our 48 euros because it all looked fine and there was no need for cleaning . She did not mind the lack of inventorylist, which we never got completed . And the 100 euro, we got back without problems. So all my worries before departure , was proved wrong . My view is that those who have had a bad experience , they had a boring attitude and behaved badly.
The hotel itself is nothing special , but it is well located for skiing. It's really cool to ski in / out and the hotel has a good ski storage, that is nice and warm , so the boots are easier to put on.
The apartment we stayed in was a 2 bedroom with a cabin which is a bunk bed. The bunk beds are miserable, and we had to move the mattresses into the living room to sleep. The apartment is well equipped with everything for cooking and service. WiFi in the hotel is free and worked very well.
I can safely recommend you to stay at Eureka Val , if you can accept a little walk to the center (10 min .)

Room Tip: Get a room above first floor, because first floor is en level with the slope, which is used for drun...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Simple apartment, located close to the ski runs and town which is good however the manager is just awful. After booking through an operator we were required to put a deposit down of £50. On arrival she then required another £50 off us which was the first problem. The property was simple but warm which was good. When leaving though however we were required to purchase new cleaning goods to clean every bit of the apartment including glass cleaner. I want to know where the previous residents cleaning goods went? We were charged for a glass that was missing however when we arrived this was missing also. We're still all trying to get our deposits back for the one missing glass.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The appartment, the residence is neat, comfortable and well equipped and the receptionist is a friendly and obliging person.
We spent the week from 2 to 9 February at Eurekaval in Val d'Isère, unfortunately the same week like a group of young Danish people from "Nortlander Travel", who obviously could enjoy themselves only by drinking too much and making an incredible noise until 3 o'clock in the mornings in the building where decent people should be quiet to allow their fellow guests to sleep.
Fortunately the receptionist Marjorie is a courageous person who tells people determinedly to stick to the rules and to keep the peace at night. But still, on several nights we got disturbed by those people's parties and intolerable hubbub and by the end of the week we were far from feeling relaxed but relieved that the week was over.
We are upset that obviously this same group of young Danish with no manners not only behaved like a bunch of ruffians but also had the impertinence to write a rude comment on this platform, because they got told off by the receptionist who represented the interests of the other residents.
Principally we can recommend this residence which is close to the ski slopes and in a quiet area of Val d'Isère - however caution is advised if there is an event like "Frostgun" in the town which attracts a huge number of young bibulous people like the Nortlander group.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Spent the week of New Year's there in an 8 persons group in an appartment for 8. Clean, well equiped, just what you need. As usual in France ski appartments, not to much space but well serves for the purpose. The location is great, you can ski in the house from every direction. Garage is ideal and the town centre is just a small walk away. The only backdraw is there is no WIFI. Although they say there is, it doesn't work basicaly. However if you plan to ski and not to spend a romantic coupling week then it is highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bideford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is a basic but not too cramped ski apartment which is well located above the ski slope making it ski in and ski out. Also a short, and quite pleasant, walk into town for dinner.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

The location of these apartments was perfect, with ski-in ski-out and high quality rooms, however the 4* rating and price tag is ludicrous, never before have I been asked to clean the rooms myself, to such a high standard that it took away a day of potential skiing, before departure. Further to this, no cleaning equipment was provided, meaning that flash, scourers etc. had to be found and paid for in the village.

Despite the fact that I interacted with the manager only in french, and was part of a group of 6 polite, considerate girls who left the room in such a high standard that she was forced to return all of our deposits, the manager was nothing but rude and unhelpful to me. My french is by no means perfect, but even I could understand some the rude and judgemental comments she said in french, clearly thinking that I was too stupid to understand. Partway through the trip, we had some questions we thought that a local could help us with. It was at this point that we realized that the reception was closed and unmanned for the majority of most days, and the entirety of a few.

It really was a shame, because from the comments she made, she had clearly passed judgement on us based on our age and nationality, but by speaking to her politely in the local language and leaving the room in such a perfect state that even she could find no fault, I had hoped to change her mind, however the rude, agressive way she dealt with our departure, even after seeing the room, shows that this was not the case.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
MARJORIE R, Manager at Eureka Val Residence, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
I would, as management to Eureka val, like to stop these bad comments and insults. I have been working in this establishment for 20 years. Our residence is small and very private. We only have 18 apartments. Our guests are normally families with children and tend to be matutre, quiet and respectful and a number of them return each season or refer other families. Unfortunatly, sometimes we have large group of unruly students booked through tour operators, who behave badly, the case been usually in early December. After their stay, we need one night long working in the residence to keep our apartments in a good state for the families coming for christmas holidays. It has been report to the operators that we will never accept this kind of group again for the wellness of our direct guests. Eureka val is a residence that encourages a skiing holidays and not for disturbing the other paying guests also wanting to enjoy their holidays in a quiet and clean place.Should these people, who have complained about my "umpleasant management skills and rudeness" want a more flexible establishment that will allow their behavior, I would suggest they seek accommodation elsewhere. It will be better for us and for them !
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I am upset by prejudiced suggestions that any reviews from a group of British students should be disregarded because British people and students are supposedly badly behaved and unreasonable. I travelled to Eureka Val last year in a group of students. We had been warned by our tour operator that the manager of the hotel was intolerant and prone to overreact to provocation, and thus I can vouch for the fact that we were on our best behaviour. The level of service, however, was unlike anything we could have been prepared for.

We cleaned the rooms to absolute perfection when we left the hotel (I know - I hoovered 3 times and spent all morning rubbing smudges off the windows). Nevertheless, every single room lost its deposit. In our case, we lost our deposit because one of the blankets from our room had been moved to the room next-door.

It is not the money that bothers me so much, however. The behaviour of the manager toward us was intolerable. Several of my friends were personally insulted by her, as she swore at us and insulted us. She called us pigs, 'degalasse', meaning revolting or vile, and other things that I won't repeat, and was personally insulting in a way I could never have believed.

Please do not listen to prejudiced reviews that tell you to disregard students' reviews. We are reasonable people, and words can't express my disgust at how we were treated.

Room Tip: Please do not choose Eureka Val.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Eureka Val Residence? Share your experiences!