“Good, but could be superb” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Abbaye de Talloires

You added Hotel Abbaye de Talloires to your Saves list
Hotel Abbaye de Talloires
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2, Chemin des Moines | Le Port, 74290 Talloires, France   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Talloires
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, UK
“Good, but could be superb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The primary thing that this hotel has going for it is its location. Perched on the shoreline of Lake Annecy, the views of the lake and the surrounding mountains are simply stunning. In the mornings, the lake is as still as a sheet of glass and the place has a marvellous, almost mystical, feel to it.

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in mid-February. The staff here are incredibly helpful and accommodating. It was, however, clear that the hotel had just reopened following its winter break and a number of the staff were still getting adjusted to their positions. This was, perhaps, most obvious in the restaurant. The service was painfully slow. Do not get me wrong, I am all for a nice relaxing meal, but at a fraction shy of four hours on one night and 3 1/2 on the other it was beyond a joke. Indeed, the new reason that the service was more speedy on the second night was because we bumped into the (very helpful) manageress who moved things along for us.

The hotel itself is beautiful. Charming old rooms in the former Abbey have been updated with modern bathrooms and a reasonable level of decor. Yes, there is paint peeling here and there, but that adds to the charm. The reception staff were efficient and helpful as were all of the staff that we encountered. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble - even if it did take a long time.

The 'spa' was a little disappointing. The massages were pretty good (couples massages on both days that we were there), but the Jacuzzi and sauna were both very (very) small. These seem to be really designed for two people and I would suggest that you need to know others very well before climbing in!

Sure, this place is not cheap. But as a place to decompress and unwind it worked for us. The manageress also recommended a couple of places for us to visit for the most fabulous views of Lac d'Annecy and the Nordic ski area of La Clusaz. Perfect for what we wanted in terms of seeing the area and playing around in the snow.

If the restaurant was sorted out - both in terms of speed of service and food quality (the hotel seems to pride itself on the gastronomic experience, but while the food is okay, it is nothing really special) the ambiance and location could be absolutely spectacular.

Close, but not quite there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful quiet hotel on the lake, small but clean and colourful rooms - nice people! Hotel had very few clients and therefore cut some services down ( Night Portier , SPA services, breakfast buffet ...). If these things are important: inquire!

• Stayed October 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Alongside the lac d'Annecy, the hotel looked definitely beautiful in its wonderful and romantic environment. The interior did not deny first impressions and the smiling persons at reception desk gave us a nice room at the second floor. Beautiful balcony looking down to a flowery patio garden, two different views on the magificent Lake (we had windows at 2 each sides of the house corner): our first impressions were absolutely fantastic. We were unfortunately brought back to reality: no hot water! A jump down to reception (allowing me to discover the extraordinary architecture of the main gallery) was reassuring: they already knew and they were taking the necessary measures. To make a long story short, let me say that the first appearance of hot water occurred on the following morning.
However, our room was small and cozy with comfortable bedding and nice, but not exceptional, furniture. Dinner (excellent wines) and breakfast more than decent. Perfectly functional but rather impersonal service (except for some sympathetic individuals).
After having gone through some other reviews, my impression is that the abbaye de Talloires is an extraordinary but overpriced location that could be far better at the cost of small efforts. It seems to me, for example, that such unacceptable defects as lacking of hot water at night do not result from technical mishaps but reflect a policy of not adapting outdated installation to the actual requirements.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

You are definitely not coming here for the hotel part of it. If you put yourself in the mindset that you are staying in a historic abbey then the extremely high cost is a bit more palatable.

The pluses are that the setting and views are truly exquisite. The abbey and our room itself was really beautiful. I loved the town and the ability to just jump in the lake right from the hotel grounds makes this a gem.

The negatives are that the bathroom is in dire need of a renovation as the bathrooms in a motel six are better than these. The TV had a max volume that was barely audible since they put a max volume lock, which probably makes sense since there isn't much noise insulation from the adjacent rooms. The breakfast, while quite good, was definitely not worth the price. Seek food elsewhere.

I am still glad that I stayed here but for the price of a 4 star hotel I expected MUCH more.

Room Tip: We did get a lake view which was exquisite to wake up to.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was a fantastic location. One of our favorites. It was off season so we had it very private and were given a corner room on the second floor (garden side )which I would highly recommend as it has a balcony off the bedroom and has the probably the best views of lake. Keep in mind that this is a very understated old money type luxury so it might not have the "bling" as some other hotels. Think Lyon "old money" luxury vs. Paris "new money" flash if that makes any sense. We love that they keep that ambience. Was the perfect conclusion of our trip. It was relaxing and it seemed the other guests were more reserved as well. Good attention from hotel and restaurant staff throughout.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel has so much going for it.....a breath-taking location , with a property full of history and character.

I loved so much. But I cannot write a rave review due to several small issues which , in a way , left me sad. I think a hotel with such incredible potential should take care with small details in dealing with their guests.

What I loved about the hotel:
The air of quiet , elegance and serenity which is present everywhere in the hotel.

The beautiful grounds , which include the outdoor eating patio , the pontoon , the ivy which creeps up the exterior part of the hotel.

The gorgeous "gallery" which has an arched ceiling and lovely artwork.

Our room- while small , it was very artfully decorated , with a pretty desk , very nice linens and a obviously renovated bathroom.

The charming spa area , with a nice jacuzzi ( which sadly wasn´t very hot when we ventured to use it).

The view from our room of Lac Annecy- truly gorgeous and unforgettable.

What I did NOT like about the hotel:
Firsly , when I booked for our 3 day stay , it was clearly stated that we´d pay a 30% deposit and the rest would be paid after our stay. Right after booking , my credit card statement arrived , with a charge for 100% of the stay charged plus and excess charge of 205 Euros over the amount of our stay.

I immediately contacted the hotel - the booking manager insisted that they had only charged the 30% deposit. I wrote back insisting that they had charged 100% plus the overcharge of 205 Euros. I was asked to send my statement which I did. I received an apology and was told I´d paid in full and would have the 205 Euros credit. Happily , I had the money to pay the far bigger 500 Euros more than I was expecting to pay that month. I asked that it be noted in my file that I had a 205 Euro credit.

upon arrival , there was no acknowledgement whatsoever of what had transpired. I expected that at check-in a verbal apology of a simple "We are sorry about the mix-up" would occur ...nothing.

The next morning , i went to take a shower , and the water was cold. I left it running to see if it would warm up- nothing. I went down to the reception and was attended by a very polite Tiffany. She sent someone to check the shower , and they verified it wasn´t working. Tiffany said the would change us to an equivalant room. We packed up all our things ( clothes were already in the closet etc) and took them to the new room. The room was FAR less nice , with carpet , an older bathroom , and far less elegant decor.

I was tired after all this " dance" and went to take a shower in the new room. To my dismay , the water was not at all hot in the new room.

Put my clothes back on again , down to the reception again...now it has been verified that the whole hotel has no hot water ( maybe should have discovered this before changing our room...) I was told that there was hot water in the spa shower. Took my things there and finally got a shower ( the water system was a different one there). Then my husband took his shower . We asked to go back ot our far nicer original room , pack again. All this takes more than 2 hours of our short vacation time.

Again , no follow up or simple call " Is your water hot now" or even " Is everything okay?". The only acknowlegdement of this inconvienience was from the nice housekeeping staff who asked if things were better in the hall later.

Upon check out , I was presented with a bill for 35 Euros , even though the hotel owed me 35 Euros that I hadn´t used of my credit . I looked in awe at the bill , rather speechless. I think the girl realized that something was very awry and finally figured out they owed me money , not the other way around. They refunded my cc.

Although we stayed 3 days , 2 of which were in the middle of the week when the hotel was calm , never did we receive any real personal warmth . The hotel has around 30 rooms. At the Sofitel in Lyon , a far bigger establishment , we were greeted in a nice manner every time we came in ( we also stayed there 3 days and the hotel was crowded.)

I am a positive person and I could have LOVED this hotel. But the staff needs to realize that hotels are about hospitality and when mistakes occur , a simple , personal "I am sorry" is very welcome.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
dsk53, General Manager at Hotel Abbaye de Talloires, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Brazilgirl,

thank you for having chosen Abbaye for your stay. We were delighted to have you with us.
We appreciate your compliments very much and are deeply sorry that you had to add the negative impressions.

I have checked the entire exchange of mails between us and I've seen that you have accepted our apologies concerning the inversion of the payments, nevertheless I agree that we made a huge mistake by not acknowledging the whole process at your arrival with a small gesture.

As very often, when something starts wrong, the mistakes are repeated easily: during your stay we had problems with the hot water - as the hot water production was on green we didn't know what is going wrong and only after a long investigation we happily found out that our sophisticated shower in the suite was malfunctioning and was sending constantly the cold water in the whole warm water system.
Tiffany's first wish was to help you out and this is how she sent you in another room without checking the water before as she didn't call you back as you came to the reception before she could do it.
We are extremely sorry for this mess that we did not handle the way we should, it is very stressful for the staff when something is malfunctioning as they would really like to content the clients but in such a situation they can not always do it.

I have just written you a mail to apologize in person.
We would love to be able to welcome you back to make up all these "faux pas" that spoiled your stay in our beautiful property.

With kindest regards

Dunja Kirchner
General manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I've visited some great hotels in the French countryside (Bastide de Moustiers and Le Bastide de Capelongue being the very best) so I was dissapointed that the Abbaye de Talloires just didn't realise the extraordinary potential of their hotel. A grand former Abbaye with lovely grounds right on the lake - this place could be incredible. Spending time outside of the hotel is a wonderful experience - although the grounds aren't very carefully maintained the fallen apples and overgrown herb garden feels rustic and pleasant. Swimming off pontoons into the truly stunning alpine lake is incredible and the town is very small but sweet. Inside the hotel is comfortable but just not what it could be. The walls are crowded with brightly coloured and rough textured works by a local painter and their display doesn't consider the building at all - which would be better left traditional and even stark. For me the paintings shouldn't have been there - nor the sculptures of both people and polar bears mating! This place really needs a qualified I interior decorator to thin out the furniture, paint some walls and add some fresh flowers. The service was fine except that you can't order off the pillow menu in the evening (when you decide you want that feather pillow). This second big dissapointment, after the interior decor, is the restaurant kitchen. Im pretty sure my prawns were frozen - they had a mushy texture - but why did I even have prawns on my order of zucchini flowers... My fish main was rubbery and the desserts overcomplicated without having mastered the technique. Let's not talk about the breakfast - just don't pay the 25 euros and get a tartine and coffee at the boulangerie. For a good dinner I wish we'd tried the less grandly historic but more polished hotel in Talloires, Auberge Du Pere Bise - for the same 80 euros per head we could have eaten there and from the look (and taste) of their fantastic hotel shop the food must be wonderful. We stocked up on their pastries, jams and cakes for the plane and as gifts. Next time we'll stay there.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Mrs SophieElizF,

so nice to hear that you loved the location. We of course know very much what a potential is hidden behind our walls, but unfortunately the comparison with the two beautiful Bastide you mentioned is not really realistic as the circumstances are very different if you are a national monument or not.
I am sorry that you did not like the exposition in our Grand Gallery. The expositions change every month and of course it is very difficult to please everybody's taste. Nevertheless the Gallery is an ideal place for art expositions and concerts and we will continue to expose the local artists of big value for the pleasure of most of our guests.
I am very surprised that you couldn't have your feather pillow in the evening, please excuse us this awkwardness as our staff should know where to take the pillows if asked for.
And last but not least, the restaurant: we are just as disappointed as you that you didn't like your meal. I would just like to stress that you may not have liked the way your fish or prawns were cooked, but they were fresh as we only use fresh products for our restaurant.
Very often I read the comments concerning the breakfast buffet and its price. 25€ is a lot of money, but I guess you can really go for it: most of the products are home made, the rest is local and/or organic and the choice is big: jam bar, preserves, cheese, hams, freshly made eggs, self made muesli, all kind of grains, several sorts of bread, cakes, fruits, juices, etc. etc.
Tartine (we serve cookies) and a coffee cost in Abbaye 4€, just as comparison to what is comparable.
We were very happy to have you with us and will be very happy if you return to our beautiful region even if you decide to stay with our famous neighbour.
Please receive our best regards from sunny Talloires

D. Kirchner
General manager

Been to Hotel Abbaye de Talloires? Share your experiences!