“Quiet, clean but outdated.” 3 of 5 stars

Mercure Saint Etienne Parc de L'Europe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue de Wuppertal, 42100 Saint-Etienne, France   |
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Etienne
Hanau, Germany
“Quiet, clean but outdated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We arrived late and someone came immediately to the door to welcome us. Check in was smooth and when we got to the room we noticed how spacious it was ! An extra small bed to lay our stuff on, a desk, and a small table by the window.

Staff has excellent English skills, and are relatively ready to help.

The hotel itself is beside a large ark so it is in an extremely quiet neighbourhood.

The beds are very comfortable and the rooms very clean. My only complaint would be the hallways, they are a bit outdated need to be renovated.

Price was also reasonable

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure for one night only.
When I arrived in the room, which is very spacious and clean, I need to use the phone; unfortunately this one did not work at all.
In room dining options are not various and quite expensive and I am talking about the breakfast which is scandalously expensive around 18 Euros.

The service in the restaurant was so slow, I even forgot I ordered. Don't say it is because the restaurant was full. There were only two tables to serve. The hotel was empty.

Lenteur du service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
beaugency
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

By booking over the Internet and paying in advance (non-refundable), we were able to get quite a substantial savings on the Mercure in Saint Etienne and paid 90 Euros for a nice room in a pretty nice hotel.

I noticed that a few people have mentioned that the hotel is dated and needs a face lift. Probably that's true if you're paying full price and expecting a more modern decor. But at the discounted price we paid, it's a reasonably good value and we didn't find the room at all old fashioned. Opposite a park, it's very quiet at night and very conveniet vis-a-vis the Autoroute.

We didn't eat there, but rather in town at one of the very nicest restaurants (A la Table des Lys - see my review.)

The staff was friendly and the lobby a pleasant place to sit. Wi Fi worked just fine in our room. All in all, a good stopping off point at a reasonably price if booked in advance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
home
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I'm in Saint Etienne twice a month, having a guest in the hotel and being a little tired I opted to have dinner in the restaurant's hotel.
Ambience is really nice, staff is very friendly. Unluckily portions are radically small and wine choice limited. Quality is nothing special, bill on the other side is expensive: we paid € 22 each for a main course and a dessert and € 33 for a bottle of red one.
Avoid it unless you are really tired and not willing to get out and taste real good food (there's a lot better out there, not so far even by foot!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The hotel would indeed make a great backdrop for a seventies movie, but it is spotlessly clean, manned by pleasant and smiling staff, and most importantly quiet. In addition, the rooms are equipped with a kettle and a selection of teas. Wifi was free of charge over the two nights I stayed there.

What impressed me most with the hotel was the quality and value of the food served in the restaurant. As a rule, I do not normally dine in hotel restaurants, but work reared its head and I had to eat in.

Though the menu choice was limited, the dishes were freshly prepared, tasty and imaginatively presented. The wine list was also small, but well chosen. The two meals I had worked out at less than 30 euros each, for a starter, main dish, glass of wine and bottle of water. I will go again for the “Steak Tartare” if it is on the menu next time I am there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

What can I say, this hotel was fine. No big luxury but all you need and very very friendly and helpful staff. Yes, it might be a bit dated, but it is no worse than most other 4-Star hotels I have been to in France.
They've got a locked parking lot, which I thought was great. You get breakfast in the room at no additional cost, free WIFI.
I might be repeating myself, but whatever shortcomings this hotel might have were counterbalanced by the exceptionally lovely staff!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mercure Saint Etienne Parc de L'Europe? Share your experiences!