“Unique experience” 4 of 5 stars

Place des Tilleuls, 01800 Perouges, France   |
Switzerland
“Unique experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Hostellerie. We had a room in "Le Manoir" - a 15th century building. The room was confortable and clean complete with old world charm and modern amenities. To get to our room we had to go up a stone staircase (really like in a castle) and then cross a reception room with beautiful period furniture. The rooms in "Le Pavillon" are about 100 Euros cheaper but are without charm.

We ate twice in the lovely restaurant. Although a bit on the expensive side, the food was of good quality, tasty and well presented and the serivce was professional and discrete. The wine list is presented on a huge scroll which, although original, isn't easy to consult. (We were afraid we would knock over all the glasses on the table !). So I would suggest to the management to keep the presentation on a scroll but scale it down to a practical size.

The breakfast however was overpriced at 17 Euros for what it was. On the second morning we asked for just tea and croissants which was of a more reasonable price.
The ladies we met at the reception area were friendly and while we were having breakfast we watched them prepare fresh bouquets of flowers for all the tables - a pleasant sight.

Perouges itself is a lovely old town and once you have gone through the archway at the entrance of the town you feel as if you have literally stepped back in time. However beware of the cobblestone streets everywhere which can be slippery when it rains. You really need a good pair of walking shoes. So don't try and be elegant by wearing high heels to go to the restaurant at night - you will break a leg !

If you want night life then stay in Lyon but if you want peace and quiet after the day and a good night's sleep then stay in Pérouges.
Our stay in Perouges and especially at "Le Manoir" can be summed up as a unique experience.

Room Tip: Stay in "Le Manoir" or the "Saint Georges" for that real "old world experie...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The finest dining experience I've had in France. US Presidents have visited and dined here - (photos are discretely located behind the receptionist) at the authentic 7th Century hotel in Perouges. Each course was exquisite. The atmosphere beyond compare. If you are in the area, it is a must visit! The entire village is constructed of cobblestone - the walks, the walls and the buildings.

Room Tip: I did not sleep at the hotel. It is a short drive from our factory in St Vulbas.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hotel is in an historical building, but it's a big rip-off. First off, the owner/manager has a TERRIBLE attitude. When I arrived at the hotel, I asked about parking my car (cars must be parked in a dark lot that is locked after 10pm which was really creepy when I needed to get something from the lot, and I needed someone to walk me to the lot to unlock the gate), and he told me "we will give you information, but do you want the breakfast?" He was more concerned with booking a breakfast reservation than providing me with service I requested. I said that I wans't sure, and he was visibly annoyed and then called the bellhop to deal with me. He was SO incredibly rude.

The room was decent, but not that great. It wasn't particularly luxurious, bright, comfortable or special. The rooms are darker and older than they appear on the website.

For the price paid (over 200 Euro), it was incredibly overpriced. The town is lovely, but there is nothing there. It doesn't make sense that I paid for a 200 Euro room in Lyon (that included tons of ammenities, a beautiful location, much more comfortable and updated room, etc) and paid more for a room in a town with nothing.

Perouges is lovely, but I recommend a day trip. After 7pm, the entire town (3 streets) shuts down. There is the hotel restaurant and another one in town, and nothing else. The place was actually really creepy and dead. I did not like it at all. Go to the town during the day to see the beautiful spots and shop in the boutiques. But then leave and stay in Lyon.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Perouges hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Probably living on its wonderful site in the show-case medieval village of Perouges, the Ostellerie disappoints. It has two levels of accommodation, in the upmarket hotel and the less pricey Pavillion, in separate buildings but sharing a restaurant. We stayed in the cheaper (but not cheap) part; an adequate room, but slightly run down. Service friendly and reasonably efficient. The let down was the food. Expensive, plentiful but of no more than average quality. Silly wine list on a scroll with inadequate information. We ducked the 16€ (!) continental breakfast; maybe it was magnificent. You have to expect to pay for the setting, but the restaurant needs improving in my opinion. By the way, it is the Ostellerie, NOT Hostellerie

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We recently spent an afternoon and night in Perouges. Definitely a stunning spot, like a tiny Carcassonne but with very few people (at least on a weekday in June). It's really something to see, let alone walk around these ancient stone streets and go back in time, with few tourists. On the other hand, I expected a little more activity in terms of shops or cafes; there was only one spot for late afternoon drinks and nothing much else to do after a small museum and church.

That aside, I thought that our night in the Hostellerie would be the highlight of our trip. In some ways it was - it's the closest I've ever been to staying in an old castle. We chose a 4* room and it was huge, nicely furnished, with a large and well equipped, modern bathroom. We had a large window for ventiliation and because it is virtually deserted at night, we could leave it open to sleep. (In a heat wave, without a/c, it might be very uncomfortable). There is free wifi and a nice flat screen TV (no English channels however).

We had dinner in the restaurant which obviously comes highly recommended. It was quite busy ,with most people having driven in for dinner. It's an atmospheric dining room, but to be honest, it was the least satisfying dinner of our trip. We found the staff polite, but not warm or friendly -- clearly they are used to tons of tourists and don't have to make much effort to connect with people individually. The food was some of the highest priced of our trip (obviously the setting commands a premium) and it was not the best of our trip, by any means. It was good, but not great. The wine list comes on a fake medieval scroll -- which we found cheesy and silly, not what we expected from a restaurant that had hosted President Clinton.

Breakfast was even more UNsatisfying. Again, the staff was polite but did not go out of their way to be friendly. The final straw was paying 16 euros for coffee, juice, and a basket of breads (good ones, but still). There was not one other item available -- we ate it, because there was no other choice in town - but it's just ridiculous for the price. We are happy to have French-style breakfasts and did so in many other places, but not for 16 euros. Perhaps they are trying to discourage people from having breakfast?

So, for the chance to spend a night in a unique place -- and have the town all to yourself the next morning -- I guess it's worth one night. But given the impersonal treatment and inflated prices, I might actually recommend that other visitors come in the morning for a stroll and coffee or lunch -- or in the late afternoon (to avoid any crowds) for a stroll and a beer -- and not bother to stay overnight.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed one night at the Ostellerie de Perouges and very much enjoyed the experience. The hotel was located in the middle of the town and you have to be guided to the car parking lot once you find the hotel itself. The staff were very friendly and competent. Our meal was expensive but worth the money. Our room was functional but the bed could have been more comfortable and the insulation from the room noise above could have been better but overall it was ok. We had a nice breakfast in the veranda which overlooked the village square. It was a great - if not inexpensive - experience that we will remember.

Room Tip: We had a nice room detached from the main bldg.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

I stayed in one of the Hostellerie's 4* Manor Rooms for a quick weekend getaway. The room was very large and nicely furnished ... very fitting to its surroundings. The staff was very courteous and friendly. I had dinner at the Hostellerie's restaurant, which was excellent. They serve breakfast in the restaurant or in the room.
I generally stay at either luxury hotel properties or those that have an "experience value". The Hostellerie definitely qualifies for the latter ...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hostellerie du Perouges? Share your experiences!