“Wonderful bistro food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful bistro food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Had one of the most flavorful lamb dishes of my life at Daniel et Denise. Greens in the salads were perfect, and dessert was very good. The place is always packed, so reservations are a must. One annoyance -- we have eaten there twice (usually the only Americans in the place), and have been given the same table (next to the kitchen) both times. Seems non-random to me...

Visited June 2013

Paris
“New Saint-Jean branch as good or better than the rue Créqui location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Recently opened Daniel et Denise Saint Jean, 50 m from Vieux-Lyon metro station and Fourvière funicular, is if anything even better than the original rue Créqui restaurant. My wife had the Menu du Canut (Pâté en croûte, Quenelle, Cervelle de Canut, Sorbet du Vigneron), I ate à la carte and had a Volaille de Bresse. With 2 Kirs and a bottle of excellent Brouilly this set us back 100 euros, but what a meal! This is by far the best and most reliable Bouchon we know in Lyon.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“A Little Disappointing But Not Discriminatory”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Firstly, there are two restaurants of this name. The original on 156 rue de Crequi and another in Vieux Lyon called "Daniele and Denise - Saint Jean" on 36 rue Tramassac. Guess what ? They are owned and operated by the same people as their website attests. The restaurant on rue de Crequi is a pretty little place in a neighbourhood of law offices, shops, and residential apartment buildings where most Lyonnaise live and not in the old town most recently reserved for tourists. I might also add that this is a restaurant in the heart of France where most people speak French, and not a bunch of other languages, so don't be surprised if the staff don't speak your home town banter. You can book a reservation online in either French or English however for the restaurant on rue de Crequi.

Now to the food. I was somewhat disappointed with this restaurant, one of the best known "bouchon" of Lyon. The atmosphere was authentic, warm and comforting with crowded tables in two rooms.

We had the menu for 29 euros and it was a bit of a mix of foods that didn't necessarily work together in our view. The first course of vegetable tart was grilled peppers and carots on a thin flaky flat bread reminiscent of a saltine cracker adorned with green leaf and a dark sauce; I thought it was good. The cream cheese packed within tomatoe slices served with a pesto sauce to my partner was also good. My fish course, although light, was battered and deep fried, very good but I should have asked how it was being served before ordering. It would have been an excellent "fish n' chips", if only it had the chips. My partner had the pork cutlets with a light brown sauce, also tasty however the accompanying side dish of sliced fried potatoes and macaroni in white sauce clashed. I would have preferred more of the steamed turnip and carrots that came on my plate. The desserts were similarily strange. A huge whopping bowl of very light merenge on the one hand and on the other the peppered strawberries were anything but peppery only very cold from the fridge. Cusomers seated next to us also commented about the bizarre nature of the merenge.

Reservations can be made on the website but the response can take a few days. We ate on a Monday night and the front room was packed. Dinner with a half litre of wine was 88 euros.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“DON'T GO”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Worst service ever,! As you can see from others you will be treated so badly that you forget the mediocre food. Turned out I went there with my reservation inline printed in my hand and they denied there was a table and sent me out

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chatou, France
“a great master dinner in Lyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had a great master dinner after our conferences and the food from Lyon were just awesome. Typical Lyon specialities I do recommend. The cook (and the owner) is also the Best Cook with medals and registered in the Michelin guide: a place to know. The service was smiley and nice. I will go again for sure :)

• Visited March 2013