“Poor staff manner, if you experience problem in the room ...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Athena Part Dieu

You added Hotel Athena Part Dieu to your Saves list
Hotel Athena Part Dieu
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Boulevard Vivier Merle, 69003 Lyon, France (Part Dieu - Bir Hakeim)   |
Ranked #137 of 191 Hotels in Lyon
Hong Kong, China
“Poor staff manner, if you experience problem in the room ...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three nights and was assigned to have the Room 124 originally. When I entered the room and switched on the air-conditioner, I heard an extremely loud noise (sound like ''we we we ...') when the fan speed was set at the highest. Then, I called the reception to check it out. It lasted for around 10-15 minutes and the noise stopped suddenly. Therefore, I called the reception to cancel the checking. However, the nightmare has not yet gone! The first night was completely OK, but the nightmare came in the second night at the middle of the night at around 1am. When I was having a sweet sleep, I was suddenly woken up by the loud noise (sound like ''we we we ...') of the air-conditioner. At that moment, I thought that the sound would stop soon, but it persisted for quite a long time! I could do nothing but to call the reception! The staff offered me another room (Room 219). However, I could not accept that room as it had a very strong smell of cigaratte to which I was allergic. The solution was: The staff told me to change another room the following day. Then, I used ear plugs and turned the fan speed to the lowest so that the sound became minimal (I tried to open the window but it was so noisy even at around 2am). However, I suffered from the stuffy and hot room for the whole night. In the following morning, the staff at the reception asked me to see if there was any vacant room in the afternoon after the customers checked out. I returned to the hotel at around 4pm and check about the vacant room. The lady at the reception refused to change the room. She insisted that the technician of the hotel had already fixed the air-conditioner in the Room 124. I returned to the room and set the fan speed at the highest. The loud sound started immediately. I returned to the reception and told the lady the truth. However, she did not believe until she came to my room and heard it in person. In spite of the loud sound of the air-conditioner, she kept saying that they did not have any vacant rooms even though I realised that there were some vacant rooms on her list. Finally, she offered me the Room 116. I requested her to swithc on the air-conditioner so that I could check if it worked properly. She said that she had already switched it on. However, I really could not feel any air coming out from the air-conditioner even I placed my hand in front of it. I told her about it. However, her response was very 'FRIENDLY': 'I had already switched it on, I could do nothing and I have so many work to do.' It seemed that she did not want to take care of the matter anymore. Then, I 'begged' her to help me and said 'I trust you but no air came out from the air-conditioner. You could 'feel' it if you put your hand in front of it'. Please help me, it's not my fault!' The lady responded immediately: 'it's also not my fault!' I was shocked by her response and wanted to say 'but it's your job!' However, I dared not to say a word for fear that she would be mad at me and refuse to help me though her manner was extremely poor. After I begged her again for quite some time, she offered Room 119 to me. However, the room was stinky. Without any better option, I could only accept this offer. At the reception, I asked politely if I could borrow air refresher (spray) because I was sensitive and allergic to strong smell. I was again shocked by her 'SUPER NICE' response. She said: 'You are very complicated!'

As I said in the title, the staff at the hotel became unfriendly if you experienced any problem. I knew the incident burdened the staff and I did not really mean to cause them trouble. However, to offer a room without any defect should be their job, I suppose! If so, how could they blame me for the fault?

So, if you are offered the Room 124, you must refuse it. Otherwise, you will be blame for the loud noise of the air-conditioner and will be going to have unfortunate experience with the staff.

Room Tip: Refuse Room 124, it's terrible!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Surabaya, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

When I read the reviews from others, I did not expect much from this hotel. But surprisingly, I love almost everything about this hotel. Yes, the room is not big but clean with good mattress and additional pillows, pretty big flat TV (24') and modern bathroom. The reception staff (a guy I forgot ask his name) was so helpful and friendly. I asked him the city map and he explained me where to go and what to see. And what I love most is the shopping mall (with Galeries Lafayette) opposite the train station which I could see from my window. I chose this hotel considering the price is pretty cheap (EUR 52 for weekend). And although this hotel situated very close to the Part-Dieu train station, I did not hear anything at night and had a very good sleep. What I don't like is too many beggars outside (like everywhere near the main station) but for a stopover, this hotel is really a good deal. Too bad the free wifi connection did not work at all during my stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had booked the hotel because of its proximity to the Railway Station because we had Eurail tickets to go on to Italy. Imagine our surprise when at the Station we were informed that we did not have to travel back to the next station to catch our train but that we could board at Part-Dieu.

Room Tip: Reception Staff were helpful with WiFi codes.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is its location. The breakfast buffet was good enough, but you can probably get more value for your money at one of the newer hotels in the area. Staff was helpful and the room was clean enough but you can definitely tell the facilities are aging fast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

we stayed for 2 nights in April during our tour in France. Athena hotel was one of the cleanest and well managed hotels we stayed at. the location at Part Dieu is just perfect for travelers who seek mobility and easy access to public transportation. Train station, bus station(more than 10 lines), Metro and tramway are at a 2mn walk.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

A pleasant hotel for budget travellers but rooms are pretty small. Anyway, its budget so nothing to complain about. I love the fact it was beside the train station as well as directly opposite their Centre Commercial which was the largest shopping mall in Lyon which has Galerie Lafayette and a couple of major shop brands. Breakfast was pleasant with croissants, the usual cold platters of cheese and ham as well as coffee machine and milk products etc... Definite stay for those travelling late or even doing just a stopover. Ours was just a night and easily accessible to the rental car companies.

Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

This hotel looked good on the web photos and blogs. We were very disappointed on arrival....
although in close proxmity to station, that is where the good news ended. Unless you require a bed overnight whilst transitting by train, this isn't the place the stay. The staff seemed like they were there just to do a job, with a lack of interest in the clientele. The rooms are very basic, small and aged. The bathroom has been updated and is clean. Overall it is quite a depressing place. The breakfast on offer (included in the cost, is an insult).We stayed for two nights - too long Only good news about this location is the shopping mall opposite !!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Athena Part Dieu? Share your experiences!