“Should be not be named a Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel de Bretagne
10 rue Dubois, 69002 Lyon, France (Cordeliers - Jacobins)   |
Ranked #133 of 191 Hotels in Lyon
Melbourne, Australia
“Should be not be named a Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

This hotel was the worst I have ever seen. Firstly we walked up the stairs that smelt like a toilet. Then got to our room opened the door that didn't close properly looked at the creepy room and went strait to the internet cafe to book another hotel. We had to stay the first night because it was too late to check out so we slept with one eye open the whole night. The next day we had breakfast and just when I though it couldn't get any worse breakfast was served. Save yourself the 8 euros and go to the local bakery. When we went to check out early (2 days) The man behind the counter did not speak a word of english so we had to wait 2 hours for the other man to arrive. What i couldn't get over was that people who were staying there were happy and pleased to be there - maybe they hadn't seen their room yet. As my husband put it a hotel that is rented out by the hour!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

having read the previous reviews after booking I had my reservations but there was nothing to worry about at all. Although the rooms were basic, the bathroom was clean and the maid service excellent. The owner of the hotel was very helpful to all of us who were in lyon as part of a stag celebration.
The hotel is excellently located only 500yds from the Place de Terreaux and a good base for exploring the city. Clsoe to untold bars and restaurants, the rooms were well insulated and traffic noise was not a problem. Overall, good value for money

• Stayed June 2010
Moscow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Worst hotel with unpleasant staff cheats. Rooms are poor, lavabo is too close to shower, so a well fit man can't get to it so easy. No air conditioning, water in shower is merely hot.
The worst thing is about breakfast - it is not included and you'll be asked to pay some 8 euros/per. But!!! the portion they serve seems similar to the one served in prisons: small loaf of before-yesterday baugette, junior portion of butter and jam and stale croissant without filling. Tables are not served when you come at appointed time. Coffee is poor. This was disappointing. The worst hotel for 60 Euros!!! Never stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Antwerp
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

I helped my friend make a resveration on this hotel with my credit card, they charged my friend when they check out, and also from my credit card, which means we are charged twice.
I called them more than ten times trying to slove this problem, faxed them twice providing my bill and receipt, every time they promised to make transaction in the afternoon but never come true, when I argue that they should make the transaction immediately rather than afternoon, they just leave the phone and didn't say any words, rather rude, and I am rather angry about this. Anyone got idea how to solve this probelm?

• Stayed August 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

Oh my god, this has to be the worst place I have ever stayed!!

Room filty, dirty bedsheets, shower had not been cleaned after previous guests, unfriendly staff. Getting to room was similar to climbing stairwell at Bunratty Tower Ireland!! Left hotel before end of stay it was so unpleasant.

I wouldnt recommend to anybody!

• Stayed August 2003
Monza, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2004

I slept in Hotel de Bretagne for the Fete des Lumieres 2004, It's a small
pension with only 1 star so you can't hope to find the Hilton!
A strange smell in the bathroom coming from the air intake...but it's clean.
The position is very central, near the pedestrian zone.
If you're looking for a cheap Hotel in a central position this is OK.

• Stayed December 2004
Cork, Rep of Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

Arrived and had to climb a spiral staircase that almost required climbing equipment.
General smell of urine engrained into the carpets etc. Our bed linen had not been changed just folded over supplied with stains from the previous guest, when we pointed this out the person on the reception suddenly developed "selective" english !!

I have stayed in some grotty hostel accomodation all over the world, but this takes the biscuit !!
Try it I dare you !!

• Stayed July 2003

Been to Hotel de Bretagne? Share your experiences!