“Cozy restaurant - be careful with the andouille” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Oslo, Norway
“Cozy restaurant - be careful with the andouille”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We ate lunch in this restaurant and made a reservation in advance. Their 3 course meal was affordable at 22 euro. I mentioned andouille in the heading as I have to warn that it smells foul. I was very curious so I ordered it as the main dish. As I open the pastry to which the meat was wrapped, I instantly been shocked with the smell of the meat. It smelled like dirty clothes hidden for months.
But the rest of the food we got, the salad and the chocolate fondat was superb.
To travel is to try traditional food in that place but it is not always to your liking as in the case of the andouille.
Cozy restaurant located in the old city (Vieux Lyon), a stone's throw away from the Metro station Vieux Lyon. After visiting the Basilica Notre Dame up in the Fourviere hill, this was the place we had lunch.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

62% Recommend
Edinburgh
“Very disappointed with this restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor we decided to have a special meal here on our last evening in Lyon. We were so disappointed. Everything was drowned in cream. To clean our palates we ordered sorbets. We just couldn't believe that they arrived drowned in whipped cream, too. Unless you want cream with everything, avoid this restaurant! We had far nicer meals in other, much more simple, restaurants in Lyon.

Visited September 2012
Surrey
“Yum!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had been recommended this resturant by our hotel. We wanted to sit outside and it was full when we turned up but decided to wait and eat slightly later. We were SO glad we did. We opted for one of the set menus. The food was fantastic. For starters I had the cheese raviolis and my husband had a lyonnaise salad. For my main I had salmon with citrus fruits and rice. The salmon was cooked to perfection, i've never eaten it with fresh grapefruit before and it was fantastic and I am going to try it at home and the rice was sooo tasty. My husband had a pike souffle was lobster sauce which was great too. Dessert was a slight let down - we both opted for the chocolate fondant, it was good but there was no melting sauce in the middle.
The waiting staff spoke little English so I got to practice my limited French but that added to the appeal as it didn't feel touristy and the staff were so friendly. We were sad that we opted for a different resturant on the 2nd night!

Visited August 2012
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel and managed to get a table without a booking. Lucky us!

The food was fantastic I had the lamb after smelling it from the bar next door the night before. It melted in my mouth and my husband had the monkfish with scallops, all of it divine!

Was amazed to see so few reviews on here for this restaurant because it was fab.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Lyon
“Food good as usual but attitude of the waiter .....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I've been a regular at lunch aux Trois Maries but I do find the attitude of the male waiter more and more difficult to stomach (pardon the pun).

It started when I asked if you could just take a "plat du jour" and he said yes; he indicated the cost for two or three courses from today's choices which were written on a blackboard outside the restaurant. He kept pointing and telling me the price of the main course as if I was a complete idiot who can't even see what's in front of her eyes, but in fact, the cost of the main dish was not written on the board !

We gave our order to a young girl , then he came along and told us that we did not order "correctly"; eventually, after being quizzed, it turned out that the girl to whom we gave our order, did not take orders. I felt as if he was giving us bad marks for bad behaviour.

Then there were three young girls and I waiting to use the WC (which was already in use) and they kindly offered to let me go first as they could see my group of friends were ready to leave.

I then mentioned to them that there is also a WC upstairs and was told by the same "charming" waiter that the upstairs toilets were not in use when the upstairs room was also not in use.
I cannot understand the logic, when you have four people waiting to use the toilets and you won't let them use the WC upstairs.

Another member of our group mentioned that she finds the waiter perfectly OK so perhaps it is "ma tête qui ne lui revient pas" (he does not like the look of me) but he's been there for years and I have always found him grumpy.

Still the location is great and the food is good and it is right next door to a place where I go every Thursday morning so I suppose I'll just have to put up with him and I hope he does not read this and ban me from the restaurant altogether !

So if you are a tourist who was given a not great welcome, don't worry, it's not because you are a tourist, he's like that with most people.

I might add that I am French (and fluent in French !) hence there were no language problems and had there been a touch of bonhomie or happy banter, I would have picked it up

• Visited August 2012