“Great value and location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel La Residence
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18, rue Victor Hugo, 69002 Lyon, France   |
Ranked #54 of 190 Hotels in Lyon
Toronto, Canada
“Great value and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

In the centre of Lyon, walking distance to Vieux Lyon and Perache station. The room was comfortable and had everything I needed. I was on the 2nd floor so it can get noisy, but I didn't mind. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I attended a conference in Lyon and there were hardly any hotel rooms left by the time I went to book accommodation. I ended up booking through venere.com and got an excellent rate.

I was a bit nervous about the hotel but it ended up being great. The location is very central to Place Bellecour and the metro. The room was dated but comfortable and the bathroom was huge with a spa bath which was completely unexpected. The breakfast buffet was standard French breakfast food but a good start to the day. The free wifi for multiple devices is a bonus.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Lexington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My recent stay at the Hotel La Residence was incredibly pleasant and I would recommend this hotel highly. I say this even after being bumped to another hotel for the first night of my stay due to a plumbing problem in my intended room (luckily I wasn't the one to discover said problem, but instead learned about it on arrival).

Although the hotel isn't opulent, it is clean, comfortable, well-lighted, and well-kept. The wifi worked perfectly the entire time. The breakfast buffet has a good basic selection of items. My bed was comfortable -- the mattress wasn't too hard as in some hotels and there were different kinds of pillows to choose from. My room (403) had a good-sized closet, mini-bar and safe, full bath and shower, decent desk, hairdryer, and flat-screen TV. It also had a little balcony looking out on rue Victor Hugo which was nice for checking the weather in the morning. Occasionally some street noise got through (including a large zombie parade passing by one afternoon!), but I didn't have any problems with noise late at night when I was trying to sleep.

The location is quite handy, with plenty of stores and restaurants on rue Victor Hugo and other nearby streets. And the front desk staff were really great! Each person I encountered there was friendly, happy to answer questions, tolerant of my very poor French, and welcoming. I would definitely stay there again if my travels bring me back to Lyon some day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bozeman, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The location of this hotel is great - makes bus connections easy and sights are within walking distance. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Not necessarily quiet, as it is on the corner of a busy pedestrian street and driving street. The room was clean and had everything we needed.

The front desk personnel were all very friendly and helpful to us, even though we spoke almost no French! A good value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Small rooms, but great breafast...Close to everything, so you can walk, the staff is friendly and very helpful...plenty of eye candy close around the hotel.For all the hype of such great resturants in the city, we felt they were average, and somewhat pricy.

Room Tip: Forget parking a car there small lot in back of the hotel, and you wont need one to get around the c...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The hotel was not fancy, but it was clean and centrally located...and had rooms available without reservations. Parking was off-site at a public garage down the street. We did not elect to eat breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had stayed in La Residence in 2000, and thought that it fit our needs at that time. But, with Trip Advisor now available, we took a new look at centrally located Lyon hotels. When all was said and done, however, after considering price and location for sightseeing, restaurants, shopping, and proximity to Gare Lyon Pereche (where we were to pick up a rental car at the end of our stay), we again chose La Residence. We were happy with our choice.

My one slightly negative memory from 2000 was that breakfast consisted of only the very limited "French breakfast"--high in starch, but no protein. We were pleased that the breakfast had changed for the better. It offered good breads, yogurt, cheese, meats, juice, and more than a single cup of coffee at a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple