“Excellent location and very good all round” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up To -30% Off Room Rate
Ranked #36 of 190 Hotels in Lyon
“Excellent location and very good all round”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights. Very clean well decorated rooms. Location great for easy access to all major attractions by foot. Buffet breakfast very good. Service good as well. Pricing reasonable. Would stay here again as likely to return to Lyon to sample the excellent restaurants.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel is located near the center of town. We arrived on a French holiday so parking was free on the surrounding streets. Hotel garage is a bit pricey at 16 euros a night. Typically, French don't eat breakfast but we found the buffet very nice with scrambled eggs and sausage. Downtown was about two kilometers walking distance. Hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. Room was clean and quiet. Located in a neighborhood with no traffic

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the May bank holiday weekend 2012. I stayed with family - we were in 2 twin rooms. The rooms were not huge but were comfortable and the en-suite bathrooms were clean and pleasant. The staff in the hotel were very helpful and spoke good English. The location of the hotel was within walking distance of the main attractions and there was a nice wine bar just round the corner. We travelled from the airport by the Rhone-Express and then took a taxi to the hotel but on the way back, we realised that the tram line was very close to the hotel, so we caught that back to the train station for a very reasonable 1.60 euro. We had read that the breakfast was expensive so we ate out at the Pomme du Pain for a very reasonable breakfast everyday. For 4 of us the cost was £230 for two nights which was extremely good value for the location and quality of the hotel. I would stay here again and recommend it to others. The reason I have not rated it 5 stars is that it was very hot at night and we had the thermostat on the lowest setting. If the windows were left open, it could be noisy, there was no shower cap in the bathroom nor mirror in the main bedroom but these were minor points only and would not prevent me from staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Droitwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

This hotel is badly in need of refurbishment. Everywhere looks tired and shabby. The carpets are worn and the hotel needs a makeover and quickly. The white doors are yellow. Must be 10 years since anything done here and it reflects on the staff to some extent. Front desk were great but the room was dusty. It was not a particurlarly cheap stay but I guess Lyon is a more expensive city and breakfast was bordering on shambolic due to lack of space. Come on Great Western. This is not up to your usual standards.

Room Tip: i guess all rooms are in need of the makeover. The bed was comfortable but no one could get the room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

J'aurais donné une note parfaite si leur menu de restaurant était plus varié mais surtout, surtout moins onéreux et si le wifi avait fonctionné avec mon macbook! Pour tout l'essentiel, j'ai été satisfait. La propreté, la courtoisie du personnel, la localisation etc. J'y demeurerais encore.

I would have noted them perfect if the restaurant menu would have been more diversified and most of all : cheaper! The prices were insane. The fact that my macbook couldn't connect to their wifi network was kinda disappointing too. But for the essentials ( cleanliness, politeness and location ) they were right on. I would stay there again

Room Tip: I would stay in the corner rooms away from the elevator ( x05 and x06 )
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

It started out as a nightmare, but after the first few minutes, there were no additional negative issues. We arrived via the airport express at Gare Part Dieu and took a taxi to the hotel. This was a big mistake. The meter showed just over 8 euro so I offered 10, but the driver said 15 because of luggage. I didn’t argue since I didn’t want him to drive off with our luggage plus I was very tired. We checked in and were given a room on the 6th floor. Once we got there, the door was open and the maid was still cleaning-it was almost 17h or 5pm! She telephoned the front desk and expressed our concern. Back to the lobby where the clerk was standing at the elevator with a key for room #108. When we arrived there, it looked questionable, but we had been staying at top notch hotels recently so our standards had been set higher. I looked out the window and saw a nasty building across the street so we made sure the window was locked tightly and closed the curtains for privacy. We were only 5-8 m off the ground so I was concerned. One last negative was that one of the beds had sheets with dried blood stain spots. They looked as if they had been there quite a while and had been washed many times so no major worry, but it did make us wonder about bedbug potential.
After this, everything got better so that’s why the rating of 1 that I was going to assign became a 4 after our two nights. As I said earlier, we stayed in Room #108 from 17-19 February 2012. The room had two twin beds pushed together. The beds were firm, and I slept well. The sheets were changed after the first night (nothing was said about the blood stains), and the second night both beds had white, stain-free sheets, and the bed bugs never showed up. There was a chair in the far corner and bedside tables on each side of the bed. There was a desk with some minibar items with an area for the fridge which contained additional minibar items. We did not partake of any of these. There was a coffee/tea pot with supplies on the desk. Instructions on how to access the internet were under the glass cover on the desk. You had to set up a special account and sign up with your name and email address. You had 15 minutes access to receive and validate your email confirmation. After that, it was necessary to sign in each time internet access was desired. I hope I didn’t expose my computer to any viruses, worms, etc. It seemed ok, but time will tell. Internet access was quick and worked well once the connection was established. There was a closet with hangers and shelves plus a much appreciated safe. At first, I was reluctant to leave anything in the safe since it could probably be opened by a master key and could be carried away since it didn’t seemed to be attached to anything, but I gave it a try, and nothing was missing. It required a 6 digit code rather than the usual 4. The bathroom was huge with sink, toilet, and tub/shower combination. 2 soaps, 2 shampoos, and 2 body washes were provided each day. There were several towels. Toilet sometimes required multiple flushings even when using main flusher. Lighting was good given that I would not open the curtains due to the tenement across the street. Additional outlets would have been good at the head of the beds since there were none there that could be used. There was one on the wall next to closet, plus another one by the desk, and two at desk level behind the coffee pot. There was a clock, but it had been plugged into the outlet by the desk so every time the main light for the room was turned off, the clock went dark. We moved the clock closer to the coffee pot and plugged it in to one of those two outlets and had no more time issues.
Breakfast was included in our rate of 89 euro per night and was good. There were cheese omelets and something that looked and tasted like cheese grits (?). There were several cold meats, boiled eggs, pastries, hot beverages, two juices (orange and one more), jams, yogurts, fresh fruits, etc. I thought I read in a previous review that they would make eggs to order, but I did not ask nor did I see anyone else, but there were never many people at breakfast at the same time. I did notice the breakfast lady taking several trays up to rooms. I am not sure if it costs more for room service, but it probably does plus you don’t get to choose what and how much so forget that.
We found some good restaurants, one in particular called Bouchon Lyonnais, 30 rue Tupin, which is not on TripAdvisor.com to review. The food was excellent, the staff was very friendly, and we were able to converse with natives. I will write one for Le Caveau later. The hotel is 50 m from the Rhone, and the area seemed safe. We walked each evening and had no issues. On our full day, we took a tour of the Beaujolais wine region with a stop in Perouges for a view of an ancient city. I highly recommend Olivier for this: contact@kanpai-tourisme.com for more information. When we left, we took a train to Geneva so we had to return to the same area where we started. Upon recommendation by the clerk on duty the first night when we were on our way out for dinner after a much needed nap, he told us the best way to get there. We walked about 50m on Rue Mazenod away from the river to the first corner, and the tram stop was to the left across the street. We bought our tickets for 1,60 euro each at the machine on one side and crossed over to wait for the tram on the other. 3 or 4 stops later, we were at Gare Part Dieu. Once I did this, I realized that not only were we ripped off by the baggage excuse, we were also taken on a longer route so we were overcharged even more. Avoid the taxis in Lyon!!!
If I return to Lyon, I would definitely consider staying here, but I would look around also. I chose this place because of its approximate #20 spot on TripAdvisor.com. I originally considered the Hilton, which was ranked about #5, but saw that it was not too close to the city center. This was the highest rated hotel in one of my rewards programs that was located close enough to where I wanted to be. I considered a bed and breakfast, but it was cash only. Thanks to TripAdvisor.com, I always have many options. Go to Lyon and enjoy the great food, fantastic wine, and some very nice people.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

After a 18 hr flight we arrived in Lyon with not much sleep on the plane we were after some lunch and then to check in. When we first arrived we were greeted warmly and although our room was not quite ready staff were more than happy to store our bags and point us in the direction of a nice restaurant area. On our return we were shown to great room, perfect for our one night stay in Lyon. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel du Pont Wilson? Share your experiences!