“Not worth the cost!” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 Boulevard des Belges, 69006 Lyon, France   |
Ranked #22 of 168 hotels in Lyon
“Not worth the cost!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

This is not a four star property in my book. The rooms are tired and smelt of mildew/old although they are very large. The shower was very pokey. It has a swinging glass door and the tap/showerhead are on the side of the bath meaning that there was very little room to stand and shower. This was despite having more than enough room in the bathroom itself. Wifi was an additional cost 14.50€ per day (which I find ridiculous... It should be included). Car parking was also an additional cost, parking space was very tight. Breakfast was ok although not worth the extra €20 each. Overall, a expensive option for an old hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AliAfshar, Directeur général at Warwick Reine Astrid, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Your feedback is important to us in order to maintain and improve our level of service and standards. I read your remarks with great attention and I sincerely regret that we have not been able to meet your expectations.
Please be sure that the satisfaction of our guests is our main preoccupation and we hope you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to excellent service in the future and should you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Yours sincerely,
Ali AFSHAR – General Manager

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was visiting family in Lyon with my partner and my mother, trying to find a hotel where we could all stay together in the same room (not the same bedroom) at a good price seemed tricky. We stayed in a junior suite (1 bedroom, bathroom, seperate toilet, seperate kitchen and finally dining area/lounge with a sofa bed) which was more than big enough for 3 and the facilities were excellent. This hotel provides the benefits of an apartment and a hotel which was absolutely perfect for us.

The only downside if you were visiting to sample night life is that it is a bit of a walk however Lyon is not that big so it shouldn't be too much of an issue!

I would highly recommend this fabulous hotel and my mother has already booked to go back again taking some very picky relatives with her!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Warwick Reine Astrid. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and mainly the layout of our suites wich is very convenient for family stay. I’ve noted your comments regarding the night life in Lyon and our location. For information, the Warwick Reine Astrid is only at 10 mn by walk from Brotteaux district ( wich is one of the main area very trendy also in the evening). I’m sure that my colleagues at the reception desk will be pleased to give you the main addresses in order to discover our beautiful city in the evening. Please feel free to ask them for more information.
It will a pleasure to welcome again your mother in the coming months,
Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Warwick Reine Astrid several times; our most recent was at a family (dog included) in one of the large suites (2 bedroom, 2 bath); what I like about the place is the fact that all rooms have a small kitchen area that makes it really convenient esp if you are staying over a week and don't want to eat out all the time. Which was great for me since my previous visits were for business trips and you get tired of eating by yourself all the time. The staff is always willing to help and always remember frequent visitors. They were accommodating to our kids (6&9) and overall we had a great stay. The food is excellent if you do eat there - room service and in the restaurant. They also have underground parking which is very convenient. It's a nice neighborhood, very close to Parc Tete d'or and a 10 minute walk to the metro which is on LIne A; you can take it right into the city center where the action is. I don't have any negatives except like most hotels I've stayed at in Europe, I wish they would get more comfortable beds. All in all, I'd go back and recommend it to friends. In fact I just did recommend it this week!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AliAfshar, Directeur général at Warwick Reine Astrid, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Laru,

I’m delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. I thank you for sharing your remarks with tripadvisor members. I’m glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and mainly the layout of our suite, the services of our Lounge restaurant and our helpfully and friendly staff . Be sure that your comments have been shared with all my team.

Thank you again for your nice comments and your loyalty towards the Warwick Reine Astrid.

Hoping to have the pleasure to welcome you back for your next stay in Lyon.

Ali AFSHAR – General Manager
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I wasn't prepared for the size of the suite we had at this hotel... there were 3 of us sharing it.

The lounge/diner area fronted the Boulevard des Belges and with the electric shutters closed at night traffic noise was not a problem for the user of the sofa bed.

The kitchen area was well equipped and had a large fridge freezer. The hallway contained more cupboards than I have in my house... there is masses of storage! We did not find a room safe.

The bathroom had a sink, bath with shower over and a bidet. Hot water was slow to come through, but not impossibly so. The shower was not powered, but had a good strong flow. There is a separate toilet with a sink, which is handy in a suite of this size.

The main bedroom faced the rear. The bed was a little soft for my taste, but still comfortable. In the howling gale outside, the shutter in this room rattled loudly, so we opened it and used the curtains instead!

The staff were friendly and helpful. We only ate breakfast here. It was very good, but at €20 a head it was expensive. If I were staying here longer than a night or two, I'd use the suite's kitchen to sort out my own breakfast!

WiFi is available, but not free. While this is not uncommon in hotels of this standard, I always feel this is disappointing... smaller, cheaper hotels invariably have free WiFi.

We chose to walk to Foch station on the Metro to get into town; it takes about 10 minutes. The weather wasn't conducive to hanging around for the bus!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Warwick Reine Astrid for your recent stay in Lyon and for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor’s travellers.

I’m glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and mainly the layout and the size of our suite. Thank you also for taking the time to make mention of the friendliness of our staff and be sure that your nice comment has been shared with the team. For your next stay with us, do not hesitate to book one of our packages including buffet breakfast & Wireless Internet access. Please visit our website to have a better idea of our different offers.

All staff members look forward to welcoming you back to the Warwick Reine Astrid for your next stay in Lyon..

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Warwick Reine Astrid is a superb property. Like me, it is older and shows signs of age. But rooms are suites, and each suite has several rooms. I loved the storage options - a full closet and much storage space in the bath room. The location is in the Sixth Department, meaning there is a slight walk to the First Department and the typical tourist sights, But it is opposite the Parc de la Tete d'Or, which offers acres of quiet walking paths as well as access to the Lyon zoo and botanical gardens. The hotel is quiet, secure, and an easy walk along Boulevard des Belges from Gare de la Part-Dieu, where the terminus of the train from the airport and the high speed train station.
I recommend it as an excellent option, especially for those on business with INTERPOL (its Headquarters is nearby) or those wishing to avoid the congestion of the city center.

Room Tip: Rooms along the Boulevard des Belges offer a wonderful view of the local area, with their large mans...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AliAfshar, Directeur général at Warwick Reine Astrid, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear “Benjamin G”,
I’m delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay at the Warwick Reine Astrid. I thank you for sharing your remarks with tripadvisor members about the size and layout of our suites, our location just in front of the beautiful Tête d’Or park (only at less 10 mn by bus ( C1) from the main train station Part Dieu) and at 10 mn by walk from Interpol’s headquarter

Ali AFSHAR
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I spent 5 nights at the Reine Astrid recently in an executive suite. Check-in and check-out were great, staff were friendly, efficient, helpful and informative. The room was HUGE, with a big entry room, living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom, 2 bathrooms and the most storage space I have ever seen in a hotel room. The bed was king size and super comfy, though some people may find it a little too soft. The windows all had those electronic blinds which were great at keeping out the light. We found a little street noise when your sitting in the living room, but the bedroom was super quiet. The bathrooms were a little odd, one room had a toilet and a pedastal sink, the other had a regular sink, bidet and a bathtub/shower. The shower wasn't the best. In the mornings it took FOREVER to heat up, i found i had to turn on the water as soon as i got out of bed and 10-15 later it was finally hot. Also, the shower is on the side of the tub, not the end. The tub had one of those half glass doors which the shower head faced, so there was alot of water leakage when you showered. Also, i imagine it would be a very tight squeeze for a larger person. I am 7 months pregnant and i barely had enough space, my belly was probably 2 inches from the glass door when standing under the shower. The neighbourhood is pretty good, the C1 stops right out front, it was either 2 or 3 stops to Part Dieu Train Station. The C5 stops just 5 minutes down the street, which takes you downtown. Tete D'Or park is also 5 minutes away, which is the nicest part of the whole city in my opinion. Plus Cite Internationale borders the park, which has several restaurants and cafe's. There is a small grocery store around the corner where you can buy some supplies, but we found that there were no cafes or restauarants in the immediate neighbourhood. Closest would probably be Cite Internationale, which is about 15 minutes away.

All in all, I would highly recommend it, especially for anyone going to INTERPOL on business, which is about a 10 minute walk away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Warwick Reine Astrid for your recent stay in Lyon and for sharing your experience with us.

I’m glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and mainly the layout and the size of our suite ( from 35 m² to 90 m²). Thank you also for taking the time to make mention of the friendliness of our staff and be sure that your nice comment has been shared with the team. We have noted your remarks about the bathroom. It seems that you had a technical problem and we are very sorry for the convenience caused. Your comments regarding the tub position has been also taken in consideration.

For information , the Warwick Reine Astrid is also very close to the “Brotteaux” area (10 mn walk away) wich is very attractive with a large selection of restaurant.

It would be an honour to have you back with us at the Warwick Reine Astrid.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Warwick Reine Astrid for 2 nights during a quick tourist trip from Dijon to Lyon. Lyon is a much bigger city, and there's plenty to see and do. So we wanted to find a hotel that was in a quiet location but not too far from everything. Warwick Reine Astrid ended up being the perfect location for this. It is short minute walk to Parc de la tete d'or, which is a very big park with a good sized lake in it. Helps that about a 10minute stroll into the park, there's an african themed zoo complete with giraffes, lemurs, pink flamingos, leopards, zebras etc.

The hotel itself has a compact but nicely colored and clean foyer, with access to ground-floor toilets and a bar and breakfast area straight ahead. The lady who checked us in, was so helpful and spoke great english which after a tiring train journey was well appreciated. I was so tired I unfortunately did not catch her name. It was nice to see that the other staff on front desk were also attentive and friendly.

The room itself was clean and fully functional with a bright bathroom (shower over bath), mirror, drawers, towel warmer. Kitchenette with microwave, stove-top, bar fridge, and cutlery. Double bed was comfortable and pillows were big and fluffy. I like fluffy.

The room was rectangular and had enough space to place a small round table with 3 chairs. Considering the quality of the room it was good value for the time we booked.

If you want to go to Bellacour square, or Old Town you can take a C5 bus which is about 3 minutes walk up the road. It takes about 7-8 minutes to get you to Bellacour Sq. Bus tickets were 2 euro we thought it was one way, but hard to tell because it wasn't in english and we forgot to ask reception. From Bellacour square, it was easy enough to spot the tourism office and book 1 or 1/2 day tours, and plenty of restaurants in the surround areas. You can walk across the 2 rivers but be warned we tried that one night and got lost, and took about 1hr to walk back to the hotel. Was worth getting lost for the photos and bumping into old buildings and new. The C5 bus however, is your friend. We took a taxi from the hotel on a Sunday which cost us around 12 euro to get to Gare Part-Dieu station. There's also a bus No. 38 which has a bus shelter right opposite the hotel, but at the time we ran out of time to wait for the next one to arrive.

All in all, I think this hotel represented a great sense of everything, good value, clean, friendly staff, and although the coffee prices were a bit stiff (9 euro for 2 lattes (creme au lait) ) - I would be hard pressed not to rate this hotel a 5. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Visit the park. Visit Old Town. Don't forget the C5 bus route.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Warwick Reine Astrid? Share your experiences!