“Lovely, memorable and friendly dining experience--don't miss it” 5 of 5 stars

04 72 83 50 24
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Place des sens is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 2,258 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: Diner, French, Vegetarian, Organic
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: At the heart of Lyon, Place des Sens restaurant, owned by Matthieu Cesari, propose you a natural & original cuisine.Cooking at low temperatures, crisp vegetables in a wok, poached fish, certain products of biological origin ... Matthieu works in respect of the product and the preservation of vitamins.In a Zen & cosy atmosphere linked to Feng Shui, Matthew presents you with a menu that changes daily to the seasons.Note that painters and ceramists are regularly exposed in the restaurant.
New York, USA
“Lovely, memorable and friendly dining experience--don't miss it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

Finding innovative vegetarian-friendly French cuisine in Lyon is nearly impossible, so when we ran across the reviews for Place des sens we were convinced we should give it a try and we couldn't be more pleased that we did!

My dining companion (a full vegetarian) and I (a pescetarian) found Place des sens to be the perfect place for a special, delicious and memorable meal in Lyon. The menu caters to a variety of diets, without compromising on flavor or creativity. Meat eaters and vegetarians alike will be satisfied.

Lyon is a very walkable city and we were able to walk there and back from our accommodation in Vieux Lyon. We were warmly greeted by the owner, who was also our gracious waiter. Our French may as well be non-existent (especially when it comes to culinary terms), but the owner's English is wonderful, so we were able to easily communicate our dietary restrictions, and in turn, we learned about the dishes we were served, as well as recommendations on how to combine flavors, etc.

The chef is clearly passionate about his flavors. The menu is set--you have a choice from a couple starters, ~3 main dishes, and the dessert, all for 27 Euros. The menu changes every 8 weeks, and a great deal of testing happens prior to the menu being introduced to the pubic.

You will experience seemingly "simple" ingredients perfectly seasoned with things like French chili, essential oils, and flowers. No flavor was overbearing; everything was delicious.

Because the restaurant is quite small, definitely make reservations as far in advance as possible (you can do it in English via their website). I did so and received a confirmation by email straight away, as well as a reminder by email the night before.

For 2 glasses of champagne, 2 half bottles of wine, and 2 three-course meals we paid 99 Euros. A very good value in my opinion. My only regret is that I forgot to tip--I think we were enjoying our end-of-the meal-drinks a bit too much, and it's easy to forget because French credit card receipts don't include an area to add a tip.

I will be sure to be back to dine there next time I'm in Lyon, and will be sure to make up for the tip then!

• Visited October 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lyon, France
“Natural and creative cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

I select this restaurant for dinner with my husband for his birthday because they offer organic food. Their menu is short and simple. The food as well as the restaurant decorations are not fancy, but somewhat natural and creative as printed in their name card. The thing we like most is that they use some of the organic ingredients to prepare their dishes and desserts. My husband and I ordered different entree and main dish. The taste is just OK (I am very picky). I believe that there is still room to improve a little bit. But one the desserts, organic thyme flavored chocolate mousse with passion fruit coulis is really standing out. After we finished the dinner, we chatted with one of the waiters who could speak fluent English. He told us that they changed their menu every two months. If you are like me who appreciate natural food like organic quinoa and all kinds of organic tea from all over the world, you should definitely give this restaurant a try.

• Visited September 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ontario, Oregon
“Excellent Intro to Lyon Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

I wanted to sample some of Lyon's renowned cuisine during a short stay in town, so I reserved a 7:30 pm table using the Fork about 2 weeks in advance of our visit on Saturday, Sept 27. This is a small cafe with limited seating away from the tourist hotspots (about a 40 minute stroll from Place Bellecour).Our waiter spoke excellent English and went out of his way to explain all the options on the prix fixe menu, along with making wine suggestions. He encouraged us to savor the meal, and take our time, which we were happy to do. He explained that our table was ours for the night. Each course was a delight. I ate lake trout, which was delicate and flavorful. The opening course and dessert were also excellent. In short we enjoyed a wonderful, relaxed evening at a reasonable price.

Gothenburg, Sweden
“Very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2014

We had an excellent dinner on the 6th of september. A three course meny that suited both vegetarians and others. We where very well welcomed and had a excellent servant who guided us through the dinner. Everything was top class. We highly recommend Place du Sense.

Visited September 2014
New York City, New York
“Amazing Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We showed up without a reservation (although I would suggest having one) after my friend did some research and knew that they had vegetarian options for me, etc. They were kind enough to seat us even though it was coming to the end of the night and we did not have a reservation. We sat at a lovely little table for 2 and had the entree/plat/dessert option and a bottle of wine to accompany it (also amazing- one of the Cote du Rhones). I had the salmon while my friend had the vegetarian option (he's not even a vegetarian, but thought it was great), and mine was perfectly cooked as well with the most delicious sauce to pour on top. This was a truly french place, as my friend is french and he had to do all of the ordering- and it was one of the wonderful places with a short menu- of which everything on it is delicious. Later on we realized that one of the waiters did speak english, as he was translating what he was telling my friend for me as well. We ended up having a really great conversation with the waiter (we started it, not an awkward scenario where they are trying to join you, etc) and at the end he brought us complimentary cognac at the end of our meal. It was an all around perfect evening.

• Visited July 2014