“Nice looking hotel in interesting location but low on service basics” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Lyon

You added Hilton Lyon to your Saves list
Hilton Lyon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Quai Charles de Gaulle, 69006 Lyon, France   |
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #41 of 190 Hotels in Lyon
London, England.
“Nice looking hotel in interesting location but low on service basics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed for three nights in November 2012. With my Diamond Honors membership I was allocated a very nice room on the 5th floor with access to the Exec Lounge. The hotel is part of a newish complex including a cinema, restaurants, an exhibition hall, casino and museum. With attractive river views on one side, it is situated alongside a beautiful park through which the city can be reached on foot in around 30 minutes. Alternatively there is a frequent reliable bus service adjacent to the hotel. The property is very clean and modern in style and staff were mostly friendly.

My disappointments came first with the unstaffed Exec Lounge which, although a recently renovated and good-looking space, offered rather unimaginative and restricted food offerings which were oftentimes plagued with swarms of small flies that gathered in the lounge. This lack of basic food hygiene was very offputting.

My second problem came when my UK/France electrical adaptor broke and I asked the hotel if they had one I could borrow or buy so I could continue to use my PC to complete some urgent work. The receptionist searched half-heartedly in a couple of drawers but couldn't help, and she then passed the problem on to the concierge who called housekeeping but they couldn't help either. So I was told by the Concierge to travel in to Lyon, find the Fnac electrical store, and buy my own. I find this lack of service incredible for a supposedly business-friendly hotel in this location that charges what it charges. The lack of help with this basic business essential really astonished me and at this point any goodwill I had towards the hotel was lost for good as my work stress levels rocketed. Perhaps the hotel will now decide to invest the small sum required to buy and maintain a supply of adaptors so it can properly serve its future guests? Let's hope so.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MarleneRoger, PA to General Manager at Hilton Lyon, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you again for your comments throughout your stay with us and for your participation on Trip Advisor. We did not meet your expectations for which I reiterate my most sincere apologies.

We trust however, that actions taken following our last correspondence have demonstrate our deep regrets and that these do fully satisfy you.

I look forward to having the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Sincerely yours,

Hotel Hilton Lyon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was a business trip. It is ok, the rooms are nice and it is across from a large, beautiful park. But 22 euro for a SLOW internet connection is outrageous. It is also about a 30 - 40 minute walk from the city center / old city so it is not that convenient if you want to sight - see. Also, we had trouble getting a taxi twice - be warned that you should set up taxis ahead of time.

Room Tip: away from elevator
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for comments on Trip Advisor.

We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at our hotel and we would like to apologize for any possible inconveniences. We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that we failed to meet your expectation. We will immediately place your room out of order for a full maintenance review.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Lyon.

Best Regards

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel with very spacious and comfortable rooms. Breakfasts were very nice and offered a good selection. We did have some significant issues with this place though... Internet was very slow in the rooms and cost an extra 22Euros per day!! I am of the opinion that Internet should be a basic inclusion at hotels these days. 22Euros for slow wifi that you are only able to use on ONE device is obscene! On top of that, we asked if we could print our boarding passes for our flight and were told that we would need to pay to access the lounge in order to use the printing facilities! Ridiculous! Even the cheapest of hotels offer a desktop and printer. Car parking was also a very expensive extra. Also if you are here as a tourist, this hotel is a long way from the main part of town, the old city and the decent restaurant district. Stay somewhere closer to the city.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarleneRoger, PA to General Manager at Hilton Lyon, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Lyon.

It was a pleasure to see that your general impression of your visit was positive.

Your points regarding internet have been noted and appropriate action will be taken. Thank you for having brought these to our attention.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's a decent hotel, but I would probably check out other places if I were to ever return to Lyon.

The good: Nice, clean spacious hotel and room. There are a few nice restaurants close by and there are busses that take you to the old town and new. The service was good and staff were helpful. It's next to the gorgeous park - absolutely lovely. Good value for a 5 star hotel.

The not so good: As per my usual disclaimer: if you have to pay for internet wifi, that's immediately one point down. It's a bit out of the way, and the bus rides (whilst they come frequently) take a while. Breakfast was really average. Room service is expensive. We had a leaky shower that meant that the floor got wet. The phone also didn't work (!) when I tried to make a local call.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarleneRoger, PA to General Manager at Hilton Lyon, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to forward to our attention your feedback regarding your stay with us.

It was a pleasure to note that you were satisfied with the services rendered as well as with the friendly and professional attitude of our team members. Your kind comments will be passed on to them.

In reference to our prices, we are sorry for the dissatisfaction you felt. Your points have been taken into serious consideration.

Once again, thank you for having chosen the Hilton Lyon for your stay.

Kind regards,

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

the hotel is located in a unique setting in the large conference and business centre not far from Part -Dieu railway station.
The reception staff are multi lingual and extremely helpful. The rooms are bright and airy with lots of space and and an efficient work area.
Beds are wide and comfortable and the bathroom is large and well equipped.
Breakfast or dinner in the Brasserie are to be eagerly anticipated with excellent food and wine at acceptable prices. As with the reception staff the waiters/ waitresses are multi lingual and eager to offer advice on local food and wine for the first time traveller to Lyon..
One small complaint is the size of the lobby bar. Large conferences overwhelm not only the bar staff but also the bar area, Service is slow but courteous. The rather dated seats in the bar do not make efficient use of the limited space available.
Access to downtown Lyon is very easy with bus stop outside the rear of the hotel.
Lyon is well served with an very effective bus/ tram and metro system which makes access to all touristic and business destinations easy.
Thoroughly recommended! .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MarleneRoger, PA to General Manager at Hilton Lyon, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response after your recent visit. I’m really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and our location between the park and the Rhone! I have read with great interest your comments, and they are valuable to us to improve a quality that we want still increasing.

I look forward to welcome you back to the Hilton Lyon.

Kind regards

Geneva
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The classical business hotel in the vicinity of the center of Lyon. The situation, next to a big park, is quiet, which contrasts with the modern lines of the building. Rooms are relatively spacious and with the average facilities. I've enjoyed the breakfast in the brasserie.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarleneRoger, PA to General Manager at Hilton Lyon, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

I look forward to welcome you back to the Hilton Lyon.

Kind regards

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a large conference hotel and when you are there you may as well be at any other in any European city. The room was filled by the large bed! There is a nice desk and good clothing storage. Breakfast in the Brasserie is OK. Menu otherwise is not that great. There are better places to eat nearby. The ventilation system is exceptionally quiet and easy to adjust. There is good bus service to city center, Place Bellecour. I have two big criticisms: 1. There is no safe in room which is a major oversight. We were reduced to locking valuables, air tickets etc. in a suitcase. They have a key card system that should provide security, but things can go wrong, and safe is an extra measure which a Hilton Hotel ought to provide. Others have mentioned the 9 Euro charge for WiFi for iPad, iPhone, 22 for laptops. Other hotels are free. This is an expensive hotel. There are others close to the center of Lyon with more atmosphere, friendlier service, and free WiFi!

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the Tete d'Or Park.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MarleneRoger, PA to General Manager at Hilton Lyon, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I look forward to having the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Sincerely yours

Hotel Hilton Lyon

Been to Hilton Lyon? Share your experiences!