“Excellent collection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Musee des Beaux-Arts

Musee des Beaux-Arts
20 place des Terreaux, 69001 Lyon, France (Terreaux - Bat D'argent)
33 04 7210 30 30
Lyon City Card
Ranked #8 of 69 Attractions in Lyon
Type: Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to an impressive collection of paintings, both French and international.
bc canada
28 attraction reviews
“Excellent collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lyon is France's second largest city, so it is reasonable to expect that there be good galleries. But the quality of the collection here was WAY better than I would have anticipated.

A huge Antiquities section (the Romans were big in Gaul!), a wonderful sculpture gallery, and an amazing 20th century art ('modern art') show, were among the highlights.

Navigating the building was a breeze ( a simple quadrangle), and the inner courtyard was a pleasant area for recovery from wandering the galleries.

I'd rate this a 'must see' in Lyon.

Visited June 2013

London, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
“A great range of art in stress free surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Set in a 17th century abbey, this was an unexpected treat. A fabulous a selection of paintings, sculptures and artefacts ranging from ancient Egyptian to 20th century European, the collection is well laid out to allow a leisurely stroll through the periods laid out over several floors. I was captivated by the medieval sculptures and the Egyptian artefacts in particular. Scattered amongst the more modern paintings and sculptures are examples by Rodin, Van Gogh, Renoir, Degas, Monet, Manet, and El Greco but for me the jewel in the collection is a huge Rubens full of vibrancy and passion. It is worth the entrance fee alone. We had lunch on the cool terrace - a relief on a hot day. The food was excellent. I was surprised, if relieved, that galleries were virtually empty so we almost had the place to ourselves. After our visit we sat by the fountain in the cool cloisters. Bliss!

London
5 attraction reviews
“Place to calm you down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

If you like Impressionist paintings, you may not enjoy this place very much, but for me, it was a fascinating visit. It was very serene inside, and has excellent paintings of post-Impressionists, such as Matisse, Dufy, Picasso. I love these painters, so I had a wonderful time. There is an entrance fee, but it comes with a free English audio guide. The best place to avoid the tourist crowd and to calm down.

London, United Kingdom
“An Artistic Jewel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

What a beautiful museum. It was easy to get to which made for a good start. We were welcomed warmly and provided with a free guide.
We decided to start on the 2nd floor. It was very quiet and uncrowded, a welcome experience for us Londoners. We loved the collection of 19th and 20th century art.
I needed to rest after visitng the top floor as I had been suffering from back troubles. We went down to the cafeteria on the 1st floor. What a truly pleasant experience! It was a chic, elegant yet warm and welcoming place. We enjoyed the refreshments and the highlight for me was the ultra comfortable chair which left me feeling restored and ready to explore more of the wonderful city of Lyon!

While it costs to enter this museum we bought a Lyon City Card which gets you into all museums free - AND all public transport!

Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Cool cloisters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

On a hot day it was heavenly to amble through the cool cloisters and see beautiful statues amongst the greenery. After a splendid lunch on the shady terrace I spent a couple of hours enjoying the fantastic works of art on view.