“Magical and also disappointed ” 4 of 5 stars

Cour des Loges
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2, 4, 6, 8 rue du Boeuf, 69005 Lyon, France   |
Ranked #11 of 191 Hotels in Lyon
Lake Worth, Florida
“Magical and also disappointed ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The service is pretty good, the SPA looks outstanding although we did not use their service, and the breakfast buffet is perfect. On the downside it was really hot in Lyon and the AC was not working properly in our duplex, the bedroom on the upper floor was really hot even after the technician coming up to fix it. Because of our troubles they offered us the Parking which was $35 a night for three nights. The room are bohemian style and should be updated. Overall a wonderful experience.
The restaurant downstair "L'Epicerie" is excellent but not as good as "Les Adrets" down the same street.

Stayed June 2014
tischker, Propriétaire at Cour des Loges, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
First of all we'd like to thank you for your review.
Then, we apologize for the problem you dealed with the AC and we will make sure it won't happen again.
We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast so much and you should come over to try the sunday brunch as well.
We understand that the design of Cour des Loges is not classic but we did want to preserve the Renaissance atmosphere that makes this hotel unique.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Washington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband booked this hotel. We were coming from two different countries (one so us from home, the other from business) to meet here. He arrived before I did and called me to tell me it was amazing. Amazing was an understatement. This is not a traditional hotel, and it is one of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in. The room we had in the converted monastery had amazingly (I know, I used that word again), high ceilings with two story windows. The room was beautifully decorated and grandiose; the views were stunning. There was a tasting menu that had, I think, 9 courses and was delicious. The rooms and dinner was pricey, but so worth it.

It was a bit tricky to find, and I had to walk up and down what felt like a million steps to get there, but when I saw this area and it's location...the challenging climb was quickly forgotten. Lyon is also a beautiful little town to visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
We want to thank you for this very nice review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Cour des Loges.
Indeed, the hotel is located in a pedestrian area and can be difficult to reach but it makes it so charming and unique...
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed for two nights in May.
I did not pay for a higher class room so had a standard room ( No3?) on the first floor.
On entry into the room we were greeted with an overwhelming darkness. The comments of angelo65Geneva are in line with our experience, although we did not experience the noise of that reviewer. So I have rated it much higher.
Pros
Concierge Gerard is a gem. He was very helpful and generous with his knowledge of Lyon. He organised restaurants etc. Nothing was too much trouble for him.
Restaurant is great (separate review posted).
The building is full of character and history.
It has a great location in the old city. It is close to shops and sites and all are in easy walking distance.
Breakfasts were excellent.
Beds, products and service are in line with a SLH.
Cons
Our room was disappointing. It was dark and the toilet was in a closet. (After 6 weeks of traveling I would have to say that most hotel bathrooms were never used by the people who designed them. I grantee that no architect has ever tried to shave in the poor light). The room was not unpleasant and we soon got used to it. Just quirky like many SLHs.
If driving, it is a little complex getting there. Although the password for the bollards was sent to me via email before my arrival I would never have found it without first getting onto Google maps and looking at the street view of the bollards. However, I had no problem like many other people as a result looking at the images. The parking was great once there.
Overall the lack in the room was more than adequately made up for with the positives. I would not have a second thought about going back but I would upgrade my room next time. Our two day visit to Lyon was not enough time to do justice to this wonderful city.

Room Tip: Pay for a better room than the standard
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
tischker, Propriétaire at Cour des Loges, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
We sincerely thank you for your review as it is always constructive for us to know how to improve ourselves.
We did not want to set up modern lighting in order to preserve the charm of the renaissance with a muted atmosphere. Nonetheless, we do understand that it might be too dark for some clients, that's why you should not hesitate to ask for an extra light.
The hotel is located in a pedestrian area so it is not very accessible indeed though we try to make your arrival and departure as easy as we can by sending you directions and you should always feel free to call the concierge if you re having a hard time to find your way.
We are glad that you lived the breakfast that's why I allow myself to recommend you our Sunday breakfast which is known as one of the best in Lyon.
We hope to see you in Cour Des Loges very soon.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Last night was my second stay this year, just as pleasant as the first one.
The rooms have wooden floors, are finely furnished and air conditioned.
The bed was firm and comfortable. The rooms have large baths, though the fittings are not ageing well. The towels are large and soft, and the amenities plentiful and top quality.
Breakfast is stunning, with pastries and freshly squeezed fruit juices.
The lobby of the hotel and the adjoining restaurant are situated in a covered courtyard with a very charming medieval atmosphere.
All in all another excellent stay in this very charming establishment.
I highly recommend for the service, charm and comfort.

• Stayed June 2014
We want to thank you for your very pleasant review.
The whole team of Cour Des Loges appreciated it and looks forward to seeing you at our Sunday brunch and as things always come in threes, we hope you will experience a third night in our hotel.
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I’ll start with the great.

I’m vegan. Usually I get no joy at breakfast. They had soy milk and soy yogurt; yay! Their breakfast fruit juice is amazing. The rooms, regardless of the quirkiness, or perhaps because of their quirkiness, are quite the experience. I had the mezzanine version and though I was initially taken aback, I ended up enjoying it. The building itself is priceless. The inner court with its arches is absolutely breathtaking. The spa was ok. The gym is a little small with not enough equipment for a real workout. The sauna and steam bath are also small but I loved that they were hot, in many hotels they are not. As for the whirlpool/pool, it’s huge. Note that the view from the room is non-existent. But I don’t fault them for that. If you want to be in a historic building in the old town, that’s just something you have to put up with.

Overall, I would say this is definitely an impressive hotel, with great hospitality and I would stay there again.

Unfortunately, there’s also some bad in the context of a five-star hotel. If you’re going to aim for the stars, you had better be flawless; they were not. First the worst. I had my sandals stolen (or taken out by mistake) from the room. Sorry, but you can’t misplace a pair of shoes. I went there with two pairs (my shoes and my sandals) and could only, as anyone else, wear one of them out of the room at a time. So no, I could not have misplaced them. I told them about it and was hoping to hear back today (48 hours after departure). I did not. It’s not the end of the world, but frankly, for a five-star… Worse, they did have time to send me a survey. So on this point, they score low. I also can’t figure out why someone would take my sandals (granted they were expensive, but there was an iPod there and it stayed). I’m thinking that maybe the maid took them out with the towels or the sheets by mistake and they ended up at the linen supply. But still… Other unpleasantness (for a five star) my bathtub was clogged, the mini bar is atrociously expensive (note that the Sofitel in Lyon now offers free minibar - everything is free and replenished daily). Another baddy, the expresso coffee cups at breakfast were dirty, the crepes and pancakes are served cold and they should consider a different cereal dispensing system. Also, getting service at breakfast was not that easy. Staff spent more time in the back than the front. After their initial “Would you like some coffee” I lost sight of them. I stayed five nights but ended up only doing two breakfasts. Oh, and the last night, the Internet, the phone and the TV went dead after midnight and only came back to life at around 7AM. I'll close as I started, with a vegan comment. I was gently told that they were not really able to cook me a vegan meal for dinner. Shame, it's an award winning restaurant but I guess, as with most restaurants in France, not yet vegan or vegetarian friendly.

Again, this is an amazing hotel. Go! Enjoy! If you’re a couple, you’ll love it. I might even go back, next time hopefully with my wife. But as I complete my tour of Lyon four and five star hotels (so far I’ve done Sofitel, Royal, Villa Florentine, Hilton, next I’ll do the Carlton) I must say that the Cour des Loges did not shine as it could.

And now for their reply ;-) - they always do (and that’s a good thing)!

Room Tip: Not their fault, you can't get a great view if you want to be in a hotel in the heart of old Lyo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
What a review! We'd like to thank you for putting your bad appreciations and the good ones at the same level and allow us to know where we do have to make endeavors.
We are glad you liked the spirit of Cour Des Loges and it's architecture, and that despite of few incidents it was quite an adventure.
As you know now, your sandals were found by the laundryman. We are so sorry that the cleaner took them with the sheets, accidentally and that we did not figure it out sooner.
Regarding the vegetarian meals, our chef if working on propose some on the menu as we realized that many people from all around the world are becoming vegetarians.
Therefore, we truly hope we will satisfy your taste buds the next time you come and we set the goal that your wife will join you to write your next review with only eulogies.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights here with my daughter and loved every minute.It felt like an adventure each time we tried to find our room!We enjoyed using the spa and especially relaxing outside in the lovely gardens, sipping mint tea.We didn't eat in the restaurant but had a great view, on high, of those who did.What a difference when we moved on to Mama Shelter!Give us luxury and professional staff anytime.Thank you.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
tischker, Propriétaire at Cour des Loges, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
We want to truly thank you for your review.
As you said, staying at Cour Des Loges, is an adventure and we are glad you loved it.
We hope your daughter will convince you to come back and try our Café Epicerie or if you are into gastronomic food, our one Michelin restaurant.
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed one night during a big company event, so I didn't choose the hotel myself. The rooms have that special atmosphere, if you like it, but for me they were too dark and depressing. Bathroom spacious but felt outdated (ok I know it's an old building and the owners did a great job adapting it to be a hotel). It was (both the bathroom and the room) clean and tidy though. The staff - most of them nice and helpful. Normally I would rate it 2/5, but it was the company picking the hotel, so I'm giving it a 3. Location is a big plus.
The biggest highlight: breakfast - buffet, very generous, plenty of different tastes to choose from.
The biggest disadvantage: dinner. Poor wine (I'm not an expert, I just didn't like it). And - I'm a vegetarian, and maybe the company did not pass the info to the hotel (they were about to), but the kitchen should be prepared. Trust me, a plate full of lettuce and bits of non-vegetarian cheese is not what a veggie dinner looks like. I had to wait for it quite long so I think they just weren't informed in advace, but still, it's 21st century and vegetarians do exist :)
All in all, I wouldn't choose the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
I red your review very carefully. Cour Des loges is indeed a hotel with a "special" atmosphere as we wanted to preserve the renaissance spirit. It's a true bias that distinguishes our hotel from the other ones. That's why if you had chosen yourself our hotel for your stay you would probably have loved it as being chosen in good sense. Nonetheless, we totally understand that old fashioned style does not appeal to everyone and that therefore Cour Des Loges did not meet your expectations.
Regarding the food, it is true that our cuisine is based on classical meals and it means traditional food with meat and fish though we do propose seasonal vegetables and salads on our menu. Notwithstanding, I take good note of your comment and the kitchen will make her best to get ready to satisfy the vegetarians clients in the future.

Been to Cour des Loges? Share your experiences!