We had a lovely stay in Lyon and the Hotel Cour De Loges made an excellent base. The hotel has a number of very good points.
• The location is very convenient in the heart of the old town, the Boucheries in the area are excellent and it is a short walk to the river seine and to the Vieux Lyon metro stop from where you can get anywhere in the city. The funacular up to the Cathedral Furneval is located here too - go up there for stunning views over the city.
• The service is excellent without exception, all staff are both professional and friendly. Special mention is due for the chief concierge who has 25 years experience and is a real asset to the hotel. His advice on where to visit was spot on and he also helped us get into an exclusive restaurant for lunch!
• The breakfast selection is very good. It wasn't included in our reservation and you will have to decide yourselves on whether it is worth the cost as it is not cheap. From my point of view the selection and quality of food makes it worthwhile - fruit, cereals, local cheese, cold cuts, fresh bread and pastries along with a hot selection of eggs, sausages and bacon. Coffee and tea was very good and, again, excellent service.
• The Cour De Loges has two restaurants - a fine dining restaurant within the hotel and a more casual brasserie next door. We eat at the brasserie; the food was very good with the same levels of service as the hotel.
• The architecture is very interesting indeed and walking throughout the hotel was like touring a special building. The interesting architecture goes right into your room and makes it quirky - for instance both the shower cubicle and bath are in the main bedroom along with the bed! You will have to decide if this bothers you.
So, the Cour De Loges is very good. There are a few items that if they were addressed it would become excellent. These are;
• The toilet (and bidet) are housed in a very small almost cupboard like room. I'm a well built six footer and found it a tight squeeze. It certainly makes you complete your visit to the loo as quickly as possible! The door also caught on the floor making opening and closing a challenge.
• The wardrobe was very small and we couldn't fit all the clothes that we wanted to hang in there. There were two drawers but one had an extra blanket in it so we had to keep some of our clothes in the case. Not a problem if you pack light but we don't!
• Whilst it didn't particularly bother us the lighting in the room would not be to all tastes. The quite dim ambience suits the architecture but it made reading a challenge - luckily I pack a reading light.
These are all relatively small items (depending on what is important to you) but in my experience the difference between very good hotels and excellent ones comes down to small details.
Travel tips. Take the RhoneExpress tram from the airport (go straight through arrivals, the platform is outside) into Lyon Gare Part Dieu it takes 25 minutes and costs 15 euros. Walk through the Gare Part Dieu and get the metro to Saxe-Gambetta. Change lines here and get the metro to Vieux Lyon. Take a left outside of the station, walk past the Cathedral St Jean on your right and turn left - this will take you to Rue Du Beouf. The hotel is 50 meters on your right.
Enjoy your stay in Lyon!
Ask if all rooms have the bath and shower cubicle in the room. It didn't bother us but might if...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
We are grateful of your being so exhaustive in giving your opinion.
Report response as inappropriate
Your detailed comments are supposed to allow the readers to feel Cour des Loges.
Many thanks for your suggestions as well as about points to be improved.
It is a pity that you didn't ask for an extra light.
We know that some of our guests wish more light, so we put some extra halogen lamps.
We shall be very happy to welcome you again and to present you more suitable rooms, each of them being unique.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.