“Did we really go to the restaurant people praised?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Brasserie le Nord

Brasserie le Nord
18 Rue Neuve, 69002 Lyon, France (Cordeliers - Jacobins)
04 72 10 69 69
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Brasserie le Nord is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #343 of 2,039 restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Cordeliers - Jacobins
London
“Did we really go to the restaurant people praised?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having enjoyed the meals of its sister-brasserie Le Sud, we decided to have lunch at Le Nord on the day we left Lyon. Many people complained about the bad service of Le Sud and praised Le Nord for attentive waiters and waitresses, but what happened to us was opposite.

When we arrived, a waiter greeted us and I noticed, when checking the reservation on a PC screen, he clicked our pre-booked table and chose a different one. When we were ushered, I realised what he had done --- he moved us to a less comfortable table. The table we were supposed to be in was later occupied by a French family. I did not make a scene out of this
and I kept quiet, but it was not nice.

The meal was acceptable, not that brilliant--- the starter, sausage in brioche, was warm and tasty, but my main course, lamb roast, was dry with dull sauce, my wife's bresse chicken (from a la carte) was just average (oh, except the eye-watering price). The service was not friendly either. The waiter did not bring the bread basket although he brought one to the French family before they asked. When we asked for it, he snapped, without an apology, "Coming" --- these days some waiters in London Chinatown would not be that impolite. When we finished our main course, we asked for a menu to order a dessert. It arrived after a long, long wait, only to be told, again, without an apology, by that impertinent waiter, "The tart is all gone." ( In Le Sud, when my wife ordered the starter and main course, the kind waiter warned, "If you'd like a greengage tart for your dessert, you must order one now, otherwise it will be gone" and winked her. Well, what a difference!) Obviously we thought it was enough and left without tipping.

Maybe we were unlucky, but Le Nord certainly let us down, and I don't think this restaurant deserves the praise by some people --- or maybe we visited a wrong restaurant? Mystery....

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

67% Recommend
DEstin Fl
“Definite Michelin star quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We fell upon LeNord while walking from our Hotel (Carlton--a great place!) to the Beaux Arts Museum. They had just one table left, luckily for us. We had no idea it is a Paul Bocuse enterprise. The service was a bit difficult primarily bacause of the language barrier, but we got it all squared away. My wife and I shared an excellent Caesars salad. She had the mixed seafood grill which was very very good---various fish , shrimp and scallop. I had the best beef tartare I have ever tasted---fantastic!! Came with french fries that were delicious, as was the bread--you do have to ask for "beure" ie butter which really makes it taste so good.
We finished this obscenely good lunch by sharing a fruit "baba" soaked in rum.
Then we very slowly made it to the museum. What a wonderful meal!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Launceston, Australia
“Sensational meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were looking for something a little better, and while waking along Rue de Republic we found this was tucked away just around a corner, but looked perfect.
While they had a menu in English that made our life much easier, the language barrier wasn't too much of a problem. I can recommend their Scallop Risotto, it was possibly the best risotto I've ever had! Then the chocolate fondant for sweets was sensational, I actually want to go back again!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Wisconsin
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Attentive waitstaff, attention to detail, delicious traditional Lyonnaise food as well as food options that the non-adventurous eater would enjoy. While I felt comfortable not in fancy attire, the waitstaff is very meticulously uniformed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Potteries
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Although the brasserie was pleasant enough and the service was efficient, we were surprised by the lack of any real distinction in the menu. The starter (supposedly a Lyonnaise speciality) was particularly disappointing - basically, a slice of cold sausage in a brioche wrapping. We ate at Le Sud a couple of days later and found it far superior in all respects.

• Visited August 2013