“good position” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Grenoble
Ferrara, Italy
“good position”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Good position, but sadly furnished hall and breakfast room in the basement with no windows.
Good room view on the 5th floor and free wifi, one code each device you own though and very slow connection.
The bathroom was spartan and quite clean.
This hotel should need a restyling for what I think, but it could be a good compromise if you are on budget travelling.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lancashire Cyclist
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were on a bike tour & were booked in by the Tourist Office. We got a studio apartment for 50 euros that seemed to be half-price as a last minute booking ?? !! The girl on reception gave us a room on the ground floor to store our bikes in; we were on the top floor with two single beds, an equipped kitchen & lovely bathroom. Very modern & very clean - excellent value & great location. There appeared to be a Chinese quarter nearby to eat, & a Spar shop just around the corner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night only. Imagine coming out of the railway station after a tiring journey (after missing connections because trains were running late) and finding the hotel bang in front of your eyes!
The room was good, ours had an awesome view of the station. Sound proofing was better than my expectation.
Basically this is a serviced apartment so don't expect the hotel type frills. There is a kitchenette and they expect you to keep the 'kitchen area' clean! Most other items can be loaned from the reception e.g. iron and board, hair dryer, after paying a deposit.
The hotel provided a very thin quilt. It wasn't cold but I thought it was a wee bit insufficient for those early morning hours of cold.
What I liked was the helpful staff who arranged a packet of milk for our child in the night as the milk I was carrying had turned sour.
What I didn't like was that the reception area had to be accessed by 10-12 stairs. There was some folded contraption that was (my guess) probably used for carrying luggage up or down but it was not operational. So we had to carry our bag as well as stroller up and down ourselves.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed three nights during Tour de France and chose the hotel primarily because of the location, which is perfect: Close to the train and bus stations, public parking house and just a walk or a tram away from the town centre. The breakfast was average, which was good enough for us. The room we got was more practical than nice. The hotel could do a lot more about the interior and atmosphere at the hotel. This is not a hotel for romantics, but it is practical. The room was clean, but it was no daily cleaning while we were there for three days. The room had a small kitchen, enough to enable self cooking. We had to borrow the hair dryer from the reception. All staff were very friendly and helpful, so the service level was very good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
N. Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed for 11 nights in May 2013 and intend to return for another week in September.
The location is perfect as others have mentioned. I go to Grenoble for the hillwalking so the early breakfast is great as many busses leave early. Breakfast is available from 3.30 am would you believe! Also appreciate the bath after a day in the hills.
The reason I say "if you get the right room" is that I had some problems with the first room I was given. This was room 503 which is an attic room on the 5th. floor and has very low roof beams. (see photos).My problem was that having sight in only one eye I often didn't see these beams and cracked my head several times on the first night. In my opinion these attic rooms are not suitable for long stays although people with normal eyesight may find them quite acceptable.
In fairness o the hotel staff I had not told them of my sight problems and when asked for a room change I was given another immediately. I found all the staff I encountered to be friendly and helpful.
The new room was 412 which was excellent, large and comfortable with everything I needed.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone who does not expect super luxury and who don't mind cleaning up for themselves.

Room Tip: Avoid the fifth floor. Rooms to the rear are quieter but don't have much of a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Margaret River
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is just across the road from the main Grenoble station. However it is very spartan and the rooms are not serviced. The first impression is poor as the red carpet at the entrance is very worn. There is someone on the reception desk all the time but the level of helpfulness varies.. I think the hotel is better suited to business travellers who wqnt to cook for themselves as the rooms have cooking facilities. They have little else, almost no spare bedclothes, no hair dryer and just one piece of soap. We had to ask for more than one towel. There is plenty of hot water and a rack dryer that can be turned on, to dry clothes in the bathroom. However the bath and the bathroom floor (when wet) are very slippery and there is no anti slip mat in the bath. For older visitors, especially, the bathroom is a danger zone for this reason. There are plenty of other hotels around the station and if I visited Grenoble again (lovely city), I would choose a much more comfortable place to stay. One good aspect- not directly related to the hotel- but there is a very good and helpful car rental place just along the street.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to ResidHotel Central'Gare? Share your experiences!