“Comfortable Hotel Average Spa” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Evian-les-Bains
Taipei, Taiwan
“Comfortable Hotel Average Spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I wish there was more to be said from this hotel after driving for hours from Italy. Personally, the high point of my trip was driving through Mont Blanc. The hotel is situation near the water and within walking distance to a small and short historic street. There was not too much attractions in early March when I arrived other than the Casino. The hotel seemed relatively new. Parking was expensive 12 euros per day. Parking on the street is 1 euros per hour. After a quick check-in I was first given a junior suite on the 3rd floor but upon entering I was greeted by a strong stench. It was so bad that the bell man recommended me to switch to a different room. The new suite on the second floor was very spacious and comfortable with a great view overlooking the waters.

I was told that they had a great spa, however, I found nothing spectacular. There was a small indoor pool, steam room, sauna, and a larger outdoor pool. It was perhaps 4 degrees Celsius when I visited in March and all the pools are heated. I was the only one that ventured at the outdoor pool which was a bit relaxing. Overall, I think the spa was overrated.

The executive lounge offered great panorama view of the area. Food was lacking. There were over 30 people when hot food was served and it was gone almost immediately. Unfortunately, the hotel didn't seemed to want to refill...so people just started to drink all the alcohol. Once all the beer and wine were gone, people started to pacing around the lounge waiting for replenishment. Dining in restaurants in this area is quite expensive. There was a bakery within the historic street that had one of the best tasting sandwich I've ever tasted. Breakfast buffet was comparable to other Hilton chains in Europe, a lot of selection and fulfilling.

I was told during summer there will be much more activities such as water sports. There is also a golf course nearby as well as a tram that only operates in certain time of the year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hilt0nEvianlesBains, General Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Traveler,

We thank you for sharing your recent experience of our property.
We are delighted to read that your stay met your expectations and we will pass on your comments for further review.
We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back,

Richard Cuello

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cully, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

What can we say...not much, and this summarizes what you will find at this brunch buffet.
Reasonable price when compared to Switzerland brunches (Le Mirador CHF 80?), but you do have a very, very, clear quality difference. We found the food looked somewhat bland and boring. Missed the really healthy stuff (Fresh juices, sliced fruits, melons, etc.), that one would expect at a Hilton. Many other options and we look forward to trying those as well as Evian offers some wonderful gastronomic delights.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pamplona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed in this wonderful hotel in January 2013. Always on the lookout for confortable hotels near the Alps (and Tour de France stages there), I chose Evian (France) as the destination. To write that Evian (where the famous water comes from) is a quiet city in the wintertime would be an understatement. If you're looking for excitement and nightlife, I'd avoid Evian in January altogether. But the Hilton in Evian is really a destination unto itself. While the hotel's architecture is standard concrete and glass, to be found around airports just about anywhere, the hotel's location overlooking Lac Leman and just a short walk from Evian's historic centre were positives. Check in was quick, efficient, and friendly. The hotel was empty so the woman at the front desk was kind enough to give me a free upgrade, complete with complimentary access to a 6th floor VIP room with open bar. More on the VIP room later. My suite was large, spacious, and impeccably clean. The bathroom was so spotless, it was as if the renovators had left just minutes before I checked in. Clearly the hotel has recently undergone renovations. Given the peeling wallpaper and frayed carpenting in the hallways, I'd say it was refurbished 6 months to a year ago. Moving on, I'm a bit of a gym rat and was thrilled with the hotel spa. The Buddha-themed spa had 2 pools (indoor + outdoor), 2 hot tubs, fully-equipped gym, sauna, and full massage facilities. I enjoyed a relaxing massage and found the masseuse polite, competent and efficient. In general, I found the hotel's staff top-notch and incredibly friendly which is somewhat rare in France. The two women managing the VIP room (Isabelle was one of them) were outstanding. They remembered my favourite tea at breakfast and quickly and efficiently provided a map when my wife asked for directions to a particularly spot in Evian. Breakfast was good but could have been great had the scrambled eggs been less wooden. If you're planning to spend a few days at the hotel before your ski trip or before joining a Spyns Tour de France tour, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hilt0nEvianlesBains, General Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your positive review !
It always a pleasure to hear from a guest and even more when they praise our team members so highly ! It is encouraging to hear that you were not only impressed by the hotel's physical attributes and its location but by our team members too.They do really try their best to provide exceptional service and I am happy that they were able to exceed your expectations.
Your compliments have been passed on to our team, in particular Isabelle !

Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in November 2012, out of season so there wasn't much open. The hotel its self was very nice, clean rooms, very nice bathroom with a shower and bath, nice toiletries provided.
The spa was nice, the outdoor pool was big and had views of the lake, I imagine in summer it would be beautiful. The indoor pool was a lot smaller, and rather than Jacuzzis it had a square wooden tub with warm (but not hot) water in it that didn't bubble, and certainly wasn't large enough for you to sit in with strangers, so you couldn't use whilst other people were in it. I'd say room for 3 people as long as you all knew each other well! There was a water machine in one area, but not fruit which was disappointing, most hotels now have a fruit bowl in the spa area which is always a nice touch.
The wi fi in the hotel was very expensive, we only used it once when we wanted to look at timetables for the trains and ferries and as it was a sunday the cafes we had been using for free wifi were not open. The food in the restaurant is also very expensive, as are drinks. One night we collected take away pizza from a nearby shop and ate in our room, and the other nights we ate out.
The reception staff were very friendly, and upon checking out noticed we had dislodged something in the mini bar and without any fuss advised us they'd remove it from our bill, we had noticed we'd done this and were prepared for an argument, so it was nice for them to do it without us having to fight for it.

Overall a nice hotel and you can get by without having to pay for any of the extras using nearby cafes and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilt0nEvianlesBains, General Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear traveler,

Thank you for posting your review.
I read with pleasure that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and that our services and facilities met your expectations.
I also very much appreciated your feedback on the Buddha-Bar Spa and your comments on the Japanese baths. The aims of these 2 square wooden tubs, one being cold and one hot, is to invigorate and stimulate the body with a 15mn soak in each of them.

Further to your note on the internet fees, it is my pleasure to inform you that we recently improved our internet connection and now offer free Wi-Fi in our public areas.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel staff are friendly and cooperative. The hotel and the location make for a great weekend or week vacation. Evian les Bains is a pleasant small town and although there is no motorway on the south shore of Lac Leman, it is possible to get to Geneva, Montreux, or Chamonix by car fairly easily.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilt0nEvianlesBains, General Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for your review of the Hilton Evian-les-Bains.
I am pleased to read that you found the hotel well located and I agree that the hotel offers a great base to explore the shores of Lake Geneva.
My staff will be delighted to read that you enjoyed its friendly and professional attitude !
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back,
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here Jan 2013. Location is very good. Beside Lac Leman. We enjoyed our room (one with a lake view and another without).
Parking is 12 Euros right below the hotel. Breakfast is surprisingly good with the fresh orange juice.
There is an indoor pool and a heated outdoor pool. It also has a sauna, hammam. We did not try the massage and the fitness centre.
Overall we are quite happy with our stay.
Would go back for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear traveler,
Thank you for sharing your impression of your stay at the Hilton Evian-les-Bains.
I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you enjoyed the location of the hotel on the shores of Lake Geneva.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future,

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

As Hilton Diamond Members we have been to many Hiltons in the last year. Unfortunately this was our least favorite.

Area: Evian-les-Bains is a very beautiful area. We loved being right on the lake and walking around exploring the charm. We had a rental car which made for some great adventures into Switzerland. We drove to Verbier for skiing one day and drove to Chamonix another day. Both were incredible. I'd highly recommend getting a car and seeing what's out there. I only wish we had more time to explore!

Hotel: The check in process was a bit cold.. but we were exhausted arriving on New Year's Eve and having had a long day of travel. A nice surprise was a small bottle of champagne left in our room. Thank you, Hilton. The main issue with check in was our car. We were told we'd receive a parking ticket that we should keep with us and present every time we needed to come and go from the hotel garage. For some reason we were never given this ticket back after our initial removal of the car. The bellhop/valets in the evenings were extremely rude about this ticket issue. We explained that we didn't have the ticket since it was not returned to us, but assured them that we will of course pay for each day of parking in the garage. (We were not trying to get off without paying). Every evening we came back from being out the same bellhop would ask us for the ticket and we would say the same thing: we don't have it. On our final night the bellhop actually said to us (loudly and in front of many hotel guests), "This is the third time you've lost the ticket." What? So we had to talk to someone at the front desk yet again and explain the situation. It was so ridiculous and unnecessary. We had a valet ticket on our keys, but no parking ticket. The one redeeming quality was that the valets in the mornings when we left with the car each day were always so friendly. They never asked for the ticket or made a fuss.. they just retrieved our car quickly and we went on our way. The day staff versus the night staff was very inconsistent.

Our other complaints were with the breakfast and the executive lounge. Personally, the breakfast was the worst hotel breakfast I've ever had. The eggs were old, smelled bad and had a bad texture. The hash browns and other hot dishes tasted very stale. The coffee was absolutely horrible. I tried to doctor it up with a lot of milk and sugar.. and it was still so bad. I don't know how they managed to mess it up that badly. This is just so far from the other Hilton breakfasts we've experienced. We tried the breakfast twice hoping maybe we'd have luck one day, but we did not.
The executive lounge is very small, no ambience at all, and very little in the way of food. What food there is got snatched up immediately every time the attendant put it out. We didn't feel like fighting with other guests for food so we only visited one night.

The best food there was at the restaurant on the main road - still Hilton, but not attached to the hotel. The food was good quality and the service was great.

We do hope to return to Evian-les-Bains, but maybe not the Hilton.

Room Tip: A view of the lake is lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilt0nEvianlesBains, General Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Hilton Evian-les-Bains and for having taken the time to share your review.
First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the shortcomings as it appears that we failed to honour you with the service you deserve as a valuable Hilton Honors guest.
All your points, especially the parking ticket procedure and the quality of the breakfast, have been taken into serious consideration and reviewed with my team in order to take necessary action. I believe that following your remarks regarding the parking ticket, there is space for improvement and make this procedure easier for our guests.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant Riva located on the lake side as well as the welcome set up in your room.
I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate that our team is able to provide a high level of service during your next visit in Evian-les-Bains.
Richard Cuello

Been to Hilton Evian-les-Bains? Share your experiences!