“Fantastic Chalet Team” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chalet Hotel Dahu

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Courchevel
Chalet Hotel Dahu
Courchevel 1850, Courchevel, France   |
Ranked #33 of 52 hotels in Courchevel
Hertfordshire
“Fantastic Chalet Team”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our 4th stay at a Mark Warner ski chalet / hotel and whilst they have all been good this was by far the best given the quality of the food and the fantastic service from the chalet team. From the ski hosts (Tim was excellent with great knowledge of the ski area and very mindful of the safety of the group) to Lewis on the bar or the team serving in the restaurant or on the front desk they all made our holiday very enjoyable. The food at the MW hotels tends to be decent home cooked meals which is exactly what you want after a long day skiing but Dean and the team have taken this to another level and a couple of the meals I would happily have paid for in a good restaurant. I do agree with previous posts that the hotel needs updating as the rooms are tired and our bathroom had a well worned shower curtain and bath. Also the boot room is tiny and a bit of a scrum in the mornings and in this day and age paying for WiFi seems a bit of a cheek especially as it can only then be used on one device. However, the service, food and location (its less than a 5min walk to the Verdons lift) more than make up for this. We also used Whitestorm to hire our skis from (the recommeded shop by MW) and they take you to the shop by car, deliver your skis to the hotel and collect them again at the end of the week and were on hand on the first morning if they were any problems. We ate at La Fromagerie on the evening when the MW team have the night off and it was very good although very busy. Overall a fantastic week (the snow was incredible :-)) and I would definitely return ....it's just a shame Courchevel doesn't have the same quality of nightlife as St. Anton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the Dahu, yes the decoration is a bit tired but we were there for skiing and location and that could not have been better.

The staff as usual from Mark Warner were outstanding and could not be more friendly and helpful. Food and service was great.

Unfortunately, I injured my knee so skiing was not an option. I wish I had purchased the Carte Neige insurance with my 6 day ski pass, as that would have enabled me to get my money back, it only costs only 43 cents a day, will remember for next time.

On the last day I went to the ski locker to pick up my skis to find they were missing. The ski rental people had been in earlier and we suspect they had picked them up by mistake. Darren and the hotel staff were very helpful in trying to find then and assisting us in trying to get a police report. It was not to be and my skis were gone for good and with the police station closed we had no police report which meant the insurers would not consider a claim.

Mark Warner customer service in London were excellent, very quick to respond and extremely helpful in sorting out the problem satisfactorily.

My suggestions are that you make sure you take your ski equipment to your room on the last day before the rental people turn up and invest in ski locks to be extra safe.

A great Mark Warner experience and will definitely be using them again.

Room Tip: Front facing , 3rd floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We spent a week in Courchevel at the Chalethotel Dahu (27th Jan 2013) with my Husband, my parents and 3 year old.

I was a little apprehensive about the Hotel having read some earlier comments, but I can honestly say that it was brilliant! The room we had accommodated an extra bed for my daughter, and yes, it was a little small, but how much time do you spend in your room? For us it was quite adequate.

We had a lovely balcony which Im sure had a great view, but due to the amount of snow we were unable to utilise it to its full extent.

We used the Crèche on a few days (didn’t book for the whole week, just paid on the day direct with the hotel) and the staff were fantastic. My Daughter had a great time playing, bum-boarding and painting; and their evening "baby sitting" service was excellent. The little ones go down at 7.15pm, watch a film (if they can stay awake that long!) and then get put to into little beds and watched over by 2 Nannies. My daughter was sound asleep every time and after we had had our dinner we picked her up and took her straight to bed!

Kids lunch and dinner was also good and you had a good variety of foods to chose from. My Daughter cleaned her plate every time - and she can be really fussy!

The Adult food - now what can I say. Dean the Head Chef and his staff did an outstanding job of serving what I would consider 5 star quality food every night. The 3 course meals were really impressive and there were certainly no negative comments from our party of 4! The house wine (which was included in our meal) was also very good.

Afternoon Tea is also served, with daily hot soup, sandwiches and cakes - just what you need after a day on the slopes.

The only slightly negative point (and this is a real nit-pick) would be breakfast - a little boring and a bottle neck around the toast section was a little annoying, and the toaster only toasts on one side at a time!

There is a large comfy lounge area for those who wish to just chill out (one of our party was not skiing so used this a great deal). There is a TV, Pool table, and some games here and there are also free drinks available 24hrs a day (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water & squash).

Lewis in the Bar will happily help you with your drinks in the evening and the cocktails are good too :D Some of the drinks can be a little pricey but that’s just Courchevel 1850 for you!

All in all, for the money paid, being right on the slopes (2 min walk), in amongst really expensive hotels, shops and restaurants the Chalethotel Dahu offers value for money, good facilities, excellent & helpful staff and a good atmosphere.

Would I recommend it to a friend - without a doubt!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Perfect location for quick access to the main lifts in Courchevel and the adjacent village amenities. The hotel is fairly basic but perfectly comfortable for a ski chalet hotel. The lounge and bar areas are inviting and the staff create a home from home atmosphere, while also providing an excellent service to your requirements. The Ski hosting is a real bonus and also serves as a great ice breaker with meeting the other guests. The bar prices are also good for Courchevel.
The hotel is just across the road from the Forum Centre , with easy access to the bars, cafes and shops which provides easy access to and from the Kudeta (popular apres ski bar & live music).
I would highly recommend the Dahu and the Trois Vallees which provides a full range of ski terrain to suit everyone.

Room Tip: Back rooms are the quietest but you trade a view at lower levels
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel itself is not the best, but if you're looking for location and being treated like a king this is the place for you. The hotel is warm and very clean. The Mark Warner staff we're excellent and the ski host tours were brilliant. The food was delicious and the service was great. We would definitely return to this hotel or go on another mark warner holiday.

Room Tip: Pay more if you want a bigger room with a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The location is fantastic and hotel is basic yet clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms however are very small. The food although well presented and tasty wasn't always plentiful and you could feel that they were keeping to a budget - especially with fresh vegetables.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We returned to the Dahu on 6th January (Room 2), after a lovely March trip last year. We returned for the friendly Mark Warner service and we were not disappointed. The hotel looks fine, all the public areas look fresh, bright and presentable with numerous comfy chairs to relax into after a hard day skiing. Both our bedroom and ensuite bathroom were equally fresh and bright. Believe me when I say that the Dahu really is a well maintained Chalet Hotel compared to other hotels in Courchevel,

Darren the hotel manager was extremely friendly and professional leading a friendly, smiling and eager English speaking staff.

Food was generally good, breakfasts seemed varied with hot and cold ranging from French croissants and cheeses to hot scrambled eggs, bacon (or omelettes, you only need ask). Three course dinners included a half bottle of wine per person with a choice of reds, rose or whites. Nothing seems too much trouble and the staff genuinely seem to want everyone to experience a good time.

Location is key in Courchevel and the Dahu is outstanding, being only approx 50 metres from the piste and main lifts, hardly any walk.

Though a couple, we constantly heard from others and saw for ourselves probably the best child care arrangements we have seen over the 10 years we have been skiing in Courchevel. I would be making a bee line for this hotel just for the child care arrangements if I still had younger children.

One main reason for coming back to this hotel for us was the excellent and free Mark Warner ski hosting guide experience we had last year. Considering a personal ski lesson can set you back 170 Euros for 2 hours in Courchevel, if you can ski to either advanced, intermediate, or leisurely intermediate standard, then the use of a free ski host guide for one of these three groups for a week makes this holiday very good value. Indeed we met some lovely people in these groups and were shown by our host some of the more reasonably priced lunch stops on the slopes. Our thanks to friendly Sean, our leisurely intermediate Mark Warner ski host for the week who managed to make our week of skiing the best we have ever experienced in the 10 years skiing Courchevel 1850, I was handed a not so leisurely award certificate (thanks guys) so even my skiing must have improved a little.

Room Tip: Be aware many of the mountain restaurants are expensive and can catch people unawares, ask hotel ski...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chalet Hotel Dahu? Share your experiences!