“Easter Ski Holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 52 hotels in Courchevel
Hamilton, scotland
“Easter Ski Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Superb Hotel and very attentive staff, made the whole experience that bit more special, the ability to ski on and ski off was great and the restaurant staff were entertaining and very helpfull

only down side which meant not as much time socialising in the evening was the cost of drinks

Room Tip: Fantastic views from the top floor rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed here mid march and I didn't write a review immediately as I wanted to give the hotel the opportunity to prove us wrong about them and to resolve the issue we had professionally however they have showed us that we should have taken notice of other reviews and stayed elsewhere as they really don't care... Their arrogance shines through in the ay they treat their guests.

Our room was poor despite the fact is was supposed to be a superior. To such an extent we called reception to check but were assured we had the correct room... I can only imagine what the standard rooms are like. They are dark and in need of some money spending on them.

The biggest issue we had however was that the hotel recommended we book our skis through their in house shop. BEWARE... This is apparently not owned by them and is outsourced to Gilbert sports who charge double what you would pay at intersport including if you went to the le lana hotel next door. We didn't realise this until we had paid and the hotel manager was shocked at the proce herself...said she would help to resolve this but they have done nothing except write an additional email to gilbert sports. They shouldnt recommend this as a hotel service if they wont help to resolve issues. We are now 3 weeks on and I have had no response from Gilbert sports and the hotel have just ignored my chaser emails... They really don't care about customer service and satisfaction and we have put it down to experience.

Other points to note are that the food is mediocre at best, the hotel driver finishes at 9pm unlike the other hotels and so if you wish to have a drink in the town after dinner get your walking boots on! The pool area is average and if there is more than a few people there is no where to sit/ relax. The hotel owner/ manager is very picky over who they do/don't speak to. They bend over backwards for some guests (mainly the French ones!) and frankly ignore the rest of us!

The hotel bar is very expensive and with no atmosphere. We also witnessed the young staff gathering in the back of the bar to down shots... Nice!

There are much nicer hotels in courchevel and we would recommend you choose one of those!

Room Tip: Not ours which was 129 and it was dark and noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The rooms and general condition of the hotel is very poor. I stayed here at Cristmas and ended up in a dirty room without electricity for two days. The food was mediocre, but edible. I was thoroughly bored with their five course dinners - watery soup, cheap wilted salad, a cheap piece of meat and canteen style rest.
Imagine this place was nice once, but the're managing it cheaply. The last review I saw was utterly correctl. The manager is Jekyll and Hyde. She was so unhelpful and unapologetic. Maybe being American I appreciate service. Their service was an absolute joke,
The rooms are small and mine was very tired and there was dirt. I joined a friend for a drink outside last week as I frequently go to Courchevel. My friend expressed the same complaint. I imagine some of the rooms were nice, but mine was horrendously.
We went out to eat every night. It was such a disappointment - especially knowing we paid 600$ a night.
The spa had a lot of mold and there were screaming children in there. I had a massage and heard shouting the entire time. The set up is poorly thought out.
The manageress was so rude - I seriously couldn't believe her audacity. I suppose you require that attitude when you run a bucket shop.
If the hotel were $100 a night, I'd absolutely deal with nonsense and tired room. I paid for luxury and am severely disappointed.

Room Tip: The best room would be at a different hotel. They have an excuse for everything.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Séverine B, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Des Neiges, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Customer,
We thank you for your comment and we already took note of your remarks on your last post in december. Please, be assured that all comments will be transfered to manager.
Kind regards
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Please refer to previous stellar review for reference. Staying at HDN this time was a very different experience from before. As mentioned in my previous review I have vacationed at this hotel for years but never have I experienced such insolence on the part of the staff at the Mountain and Lodges group (they manage the hotel reservation center). Dealing with hotel mgmt on site was interesting to say the least Marie [--] the manager is a case of dr Jekyll and mr Hyde. She used to be professional and corteous she now turns out to be someone that will hide from you if you need to talk to her... may be she was in a mood to play the cat and mouse game! LOL I know I wasn't. She also kept promising that she would help and dealt with the situation as if it was the hot potato du jour. Go figure! So here it goes: throughout the years I always stayed at HDN on a half board basis and used to have lunch as the main meal. It was never an issue as the option to choose lunch or dinner was always available. That was the case until three months ago when the hotel suddenly changed policy. They now only serve a light lunch at the bar. As a health condition prevents me from eating late I was unable to have dinner. Sadly I was totally unaware of the change in policy, I had no way of knowing and if I had had known I would have definitely booked a bed and breakfast stay instead (the option was available). Moreover according to the hotel mgmt's logic I should have 'dreamt overnight' that their policy changed three months ago. Bottom line they were totally inflexible didn't even allow the bar's light lunch (instead of a full meal) and basically robbed me of EUR 40 a day, a total of EUR 320! Ms Isabelle [--] who was not on site but at the reservation center didn't even bother to answer my emails/calls. That's French "customer service" for you! They steal money from you and act as if they are right. Pretty outrageous if you ask me, they are delusional live on a planet of their own where the roles are reversed and behave as if they are the customer: the world upside down! Contrast that with a recent stay in a 5-star in Bangkok where customer service was impeccable. In any case as far as customer service is concerned France is the emerging country compared to Thailand which comes way on top.
The HDN has a different vibe to it anyway. The location is still convenient but breakfast which used to be a great way to start the day is now a self-service affair. Butter and jams used to be on the table ready for you and the restaurant staff would take your eggs order and actually serve the food. You now do the cooking yourself and pick it up from the buffet. Feels more like a canteen than a 4-star. There is nothing 4-star about this hotel anyway as you will be able to assess for yourself by the pics posted below.
Beware when dealing with the staff especially at the reservation center as they are literally out 'to get you' and if they can rob you blind they sure will, they won't miss the opportunity to do so. Would be unheard of where I come from but in France they think it makes them look smart. After 8 years of patronage they have lost a customer and gained the privilege to get the poor reviews they fully deserve. It seems like they just think they can deliberately steal money from their clients with no consequence. Look for other hotels in the same neighborhood if you want to stay at 1850, there are plenty of choices and likely much better options. The one star goes to the person in charge of parking. He was very professional and pleasant, felt like he wasn't even part of the team. The rest of the staff seemed pretty worn out, end of season and.. top down it just feels like they really do not care. Adieu hotel des neiges!

Room Tip: If you must stay at this hotel make sure you check out a few rooms before picking the one you like a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have enjoyed two trips to Hotel des Neiges this season and will squeeze in one more snow willing. The hotel is advantaged in so many ways. Famous for its ski in and ski out with its back door just 10m from the piste, it is convenient beyond compare. The well equipped and staffed ski shop with ski room is superb and very well connected with all the outlets in town so if you have a particular type of ski type you want - they will source it for you. Likewise toboggans etc.

Being located on the Bellecote the main Croizette is just a 100m slide away. Useful for accessing all the fun of the town and walking back is easy, but the horse and sleigh more fun. The hotel is casually smart and very welcoming to all nationalities and all ages. Well behaved children are very welcome. The menu for children who can either eat early or later with adults is completely bespoke - nothing is too much trouble. Everything can be organised either by email in advance or from the front desk .Everything being any questions or any other needs ( lift passes, ski lessons, doctors, helicopter flights, snowmobiles, transfers, child magicians etc etc ! ). Nothing is too much trouble it seems.

The bar area is particularly spacious and socially appointed with mixed sizes of seating areas suiting parties of all sizes. The bar staff are attentive and gracious - very well motivated it seems to get to know all the guests and their preferences.. Armagnac in my case with an excellent selection! The open fire in winter is a very welcome sight. Bar food is available anytime.

The quality of the restaurant food has improved - and it was always good in previous years. The chef does great work and the restaurant staff and sommelier very skilled. But if your preference is for something different my experience is that it will be sourced if required and produced to order - I think they enjoy the challenge! So if you have diabetic needs, or at the other end of the scale want Foie gras every night - no problem!

The bedrooms are delightful matching traditional mountain style, with modern flat panel TV, blue ray DVD players and reliable high speed wi fi everywhere. The bathrooms are brand new. You can request turn down services and new towels, or not, any time. The indoor pool / sauna / steam rooms have their own towels robes etc so no need for using room resources .the masseur services in the spa are apparently wonderful speaking to other guests - though not yet tried by myself.

In summary, I have skied al over the alps and elsewhere. I find the Hotel des Neiges to be above all else a relaxing way of spending a week or two on a winter break. If you are like me and you like to put your energy on the mountain and not fetching and carrying ski's, walking up and down hills carrying yours and often other people's equipment. If you like a smart informal elegance to where you stay, with delicious food and easy relaxed living then the Hotel des Neiges is extremely difficult to beat. Anywhere, and believe me I have tried! The Hamelin 'crew' as an early comment referred to them are very very professional and good at what they do. I wholeheartedly recommend them and the hotel.

Room Tip: Just ask when you book or if online, phone them to talk to them. Morning sun vs view of the piste, a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Séverine B, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Des Neiges, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear customer,
Thank you for that very kind comment. Be sssured that we will transfer it to the Hamelin "crew".
W'll be very pleased to welcome you next time on you French Alps trip.
Regards
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Location:
The ski-in, ski-out is amazing (very convenient).
Hotel is also 10min walk from centre of Courchevel 1850.
Rooms/service:
Good size rooms. Room service was knocking the door to change towels at 6pm which I did not find very convenient (given that you end your ski session at 5pm and want to get some rest afterwards).
Eating:
Breakfast good, lunch/dinner just ok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have just returned from a great relaxed weeks skiing staying at the Hotel Des Neiges in Courcheval. From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely helpful and willing to help! We were lucky to have a lovely, friendly Waiter in the restaurant called 'Raphael' - make sure you ask to sit at one of his tables he will look after you extremely well! The food was very good with lots of choice! Sebastian the Barman makes the best Cocktails and great Mojito's!! The guys in the ski shop get you sorted quickly with no fuss. All in all a fantastic weeks skiing in comfortable, friendly surroundings!

Room Tip: Room 447 end room, quiet, great views of the slopes!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Des Neiges? Share your experiences!