“Quite good! A few flaws but I won't say it is terrible. I do recommend people trying.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Melezin

You added Le Melezin to your Saves list
Le Melezin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue de Bellecote, 73120 Courchevel, France   |
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Courchevel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

Staffs are helpful, pleasant, helpful.
It is a small hotel with 28 rooms, but attention level is good. Don't expect the SE Asian villa-style Aman.

Staffs do pamper you.

Rooms are ok. Simple. Relax. Natural atmosphere.

Flaws are:
- steam room not hot enough,
- gym is small with machines,
- only 2 set of towels in the room,
- not enough power sockets in the room,
- no turn down service.

But generally, it is very good experience.

• Stayed January 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This was the second year in a row that my son and I went to Le Melezin. And we will go there again next year. Like any Aman resort, the hotel is very understated from the outside, but spectacularly luxurious from the inside. The rooms are spacious with a huge walk-in closet and excellent amenities, including free wifi.

This is a ski haven for two main reasons: the resort is on the ski slope so that there is no effort or time wasted on buses, and the staff helps you wear and take off your skis/ski shoes. I am not a regular skier and find the chore of wearing and "un"wearing the ski shoes highly cumbersome and tiring. And in other resorts, I had to do it for my young son as well. Here, the staff does everything for you (for no fee; although I did tip them at the end of my stay). In fact, every morning, our skis were cleaned and nicely arranged on the slopes exactly at 9 am!

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the concierge is absolutely amazing. He was able to arrange ski instructors, ski passes and ski equipment without any fuss. He also made changes to my train schedules promptly.

I am not a "party" person, and I am not sure about the nightlife in town. One can go down to the "market" area in their free shuttle (one can also walk down there, but it can be tiring at the end of a long day, at least for me) for lunch or dinner.

The biggest "con" of this place is their very steep price. A small cappuccino costs 10 euros, and the room rates are on the high side, too. But I do think the resort provides full value for the money they charge.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the gorgeous Bellacote slope although they are a bit expensive.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

The overall experience was so horrible I don't even know where to start. This should not be named an Aman resort. I couldn't wait to leave. Bad management, poor service, terrible rooms, for 1,900 euros a night? What a joke.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

We've been AmanJunkies for many years and can't believe how disappointing it is to have booked Le Melezin. It's a maze of narrow hallways with mirrors and foil paper attempting to make it look more spacious than it is.

We're paying 1,900 Euros for an "suite" that is dark, narrow, has limited views, has no temperature control, has no balcony, has a tub that's too small for even one person, has a bathroom door with rusty hinges and has a main door that opens right to the bed.

I could go on about how poor the food is but I'd rather not think about the cold soup, cardboard tomatoes, inedible beef and tough turbot. When we complain to management, they offer no compensation, no room change, no help.

We spent a half hour on the phone with Helene the General Manager and the only solution she offered was a free dinner. She spent most of the time arguing with us. A very sad vacation.

Stayed March 2008
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

Just been skiing in Courchevel and we stayed at the Le Melezin on the recommendation of a friend. It was everything she said it would be and more. We had a fantastic room, overlooking the Bellecote slope, with a huge balcony. The room was a great design, with his and hers walk in wardrobes directly off the bathroom (plenty of room for ski stuff), a large two person shower and a separate deep bath, overlooking the slopes (candles and oils provided), two hand basins, huge bed, big comfy chairs. The service was absolutely brilliant, so friendly, the staff couldn't do enough for you. They even put your ski boots on for you and take them off at the end of they day! I thought that was going to be a bit ridiculous, but it is so much easier than doing it yourself (!) and means the boot room is so relaxed and organised, no trying to find your boots and fight with your skis - it even has cushioned sofas to sit on while you get your boots seen to and scented candles! You might think it's going to be a bit pretentious going to a super-cool hotel in the middle of the Alps, with none of the usual Savoyard charm and chintz, but it works perfectly, is completely relaxed and laid back, with none of the bling of certain other places I can think of in Courchevel. Really, they thought of everything and there wasn't a single thing I would have them change. Pure understated luxury with impeccable service. Perfect!

Stayed February 2007
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2005

This has been my second trip to Le Melezin; my last was excellent; this time was good also, but some major niggles. When I arrived the room I was given was vastly inferior to the one I was given last time - both cost the same (670 euros) for a chambre valle, but this time my loyalty was rewarded with a downgrade (figure that out). The room had a view from the bed of a large wall, about 3 feet from the window. You could see nothing else; the room was dark and smaller than last time.

When I complained, I was offered an upgrade...............BUT for an extra 530 euros per night! That would have been another 3500 euros for the week. So we put up with the room. It has also to be said that the room was looking very tired and needs updating;

When I went to pay the bill, and bear in mind this was over 5000 euros, I noted an item which was wrong ( a third main course charged for at one dinner, when there was only 2 of us - we had sent one back and recieved an alternative dish). When I raised this with reception, I expected an immediate correction. However what ensued was a long interrogation; followed by the manager being called, who himself would not accept my word, and insisted on going to check with the restaurant himself; I felt humiliated - we were talking about 34 euros out of a total bill of 5000!!

This has left a very bitter taste in my mouth; Yes I will retrun there but hope that I will have a better experience and will ask the hotel to review my entry on to trip advisor.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Le Melezin? Share your experiences!