“Ski Shop Caution - not a Hotel Review” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Portetta

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Courchevel
Hotel Le Portetta
Save Saved
You added Hotel Le Portetta to your Saves list
Courchevel 1650 | Saint Bon, 73120 Courchevel, France   |
Ranked #3 of 53 hotels in Courchevel
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“Ski Shop Caution - not a Hotel Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We enjoyed staying at this hotel and have booked to stay again but I would like to add a note of caution to my review. My wife tried a set of skis that the concession in the ski room recommended on the last but one day of our holiday. According to the very friendly guy who runs the ski shop they had been used by one other client. They looked brand new. My wife liked them so we bought them from the shop at a discount of about 15% on the retail which made them about the same price as a new pair in England. When I got back I was really surprised to see the state they were in, very worn around the bindings in a way that could only happen after a good seasons use and generally scratched and marked. My wife says they were not the skis she tried and they make my three year old skis look brand new. I service my own skis and I do know how skis wear. Anyway I took this up with the hotel and they in turn spoke to the ski manager Sebastien who had said that I was given a discount because they were used. In fact at the time he had reluctantly agreed the discount because I had shown him that was the new price in the UK. In his opinion he was selling me as new skis. The hotel gave me his email but I have had no response. the mystery me is what happened to the skis my wife tried because those were not the ones we took home. Our fault for not checking more carefully when loading the ski rack!

In addition to this I also tried a pair of skis on my final day, offered by the ski shop as my wife was trying a pair. When I didn't buy them they charged me €40 for the day. Something that was not pointed out at the time nor waived when we bought another pair.

So in short I want to express my dissatisfaction with the ski shop and to suggest to others that they check very carefully the deal they are offered and the skis they are sold.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Harrogate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed in Loft 4 for 4 nights in March, the decor of the loft and hotel in general is superb.
The service was some of the best we have experienced in France and significantly better than the "nonsense" in Courchevel 1850. We were disappointed with; hand showers only in the bathrooms, uncomfortable pillows and concidering the overall space in the loft the bedrooms were small. Food was good but not excellent. That said this is still a great hotel that I would be delighted to stay at again and probably should be 4 &1/2 stars!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

everything is in the title. Went there over the past 10 years.

Rooms are on the smaller side but luxury, and who cares, the rest is really worth the price

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Portetta in March. We stayed in a family room with valley view on half board. In nearly all respects we loved the hotel and I think you will struggle to find a better option in 1650 if this is your budget.

Firstly the room on the first floor, was large. It had technically a valley view but most of it was over the area at the back of the hotel and the actual valley view was obscured by another building. That was a shame and those wanting a good view might want to check what else is on offer. The bed was two singles locked together and on the hard side with quite unyielding foam pillows. There was a good area with a tv and sofa which converts to a bed. The second bedroom was bunk beds and perfect for children. The bathroom was fantastic. Large with a big bath with marble surround and a seperate large shower. Very good water pressure so you can run everything at the same time with no problem. The loo was not in the bathroom. There was a good run of cupboards in the entrance with enough for a small family to hang clothes, ski wear etc. The room was kept beautifully clean and tidy twice a day and all the copious towels were changed in the bathroom.

We stayed half board and have absolutely no complaints on this front. Breakfast was endless with very few boxes un-ticked. A huge choice of cereals bread yoghurts etc etc and a menu if you wanted something hot. My only complaint was that the fruit juices were not fresh in the true sense. In the evening there was a four course dinner which, though not truly gourmet, was very good indeed considering the large number of covers they were serving. The fish buffet evening was a highlight.

Regarding the skiing - the ski room was the best I have ever experienced. Wonderful sofas to sit on while the brought your warm boots and a very relaxed service from Gilbert Sports who run the concession if you need to hire things. It is also a small shop if you need a pair of gloves or anything else. The hotel is not ski in ski out and you have a short walk to the bubble to get up to the top first thing in the morning. Coming back you ski right up to the hotel.

The most outstanding feature of the Portetta though was the staff who were, from my experience, consistently charming and helpful. We had no cause to complain about any aspect of the service throughout our stay.

So in my opinion and with very few reservations, this is a great place to stay in 1650 if you can get a room. I heard a departing guest trying to book a loft for the next couple of years of Christmas holidays with no luck! We hope to go back some day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

INCENSED - Just had to write a review on behalf of the Portetta after reading that completely awful review from the 'Glutenfree Swede'.

First off - I would also like to mention that as a family we have experienced some of the nicer hotels of the world too! and just by way of comparison for readers of this review I will mention some of them: Fairmont Chateau in Whistler, Berghof in Lech, Mandarin and Raffles in Singapore. I can no way agree with anything that has been said about this hotel; in particular the food (I am a foodie). I have in fact recommended this hotel based on the food and wine list as well as the sommelier who really new his stuff ! As for the unfriendly staff - I do not recognise that either; they are very professional and polite and serve even difficult customers with finesse, they are not however your best pals.

Having stayed at this hotel in the past and going back again in March 2012, I feel I need to clarify 'ski in/out. Okay maybe you can not ski right back to the DOOR but that is because they have a sun terrace in the way (humor) but you can ski back to that. There is a ski school directly in front of the Portetta for children, who I have seen ski down this little bump, as well as very nervouse first timmer adults. I concead that from edge of sun terrace to lifts is a 'skate' but it is only a 200 metre skate if that.

Last of all - the rooms are not massive, Fairmont style but we are in France and not USA and that is pretty standard. We had a slope side family room at the time (two adults and an almost sixfoot, messy teenager) and it worked for us. However they do have 'Lofts' available for those who prefer a little more room; which we had booked but had to cancel last minute (2011), so unfortunatly can not comment on them - we were going to have two messy, sixfoot teenagers in tow on that occassion - they could not of been any more understanding and helpful.

I do hope that my review has helped to put in perspective the supposed down sides of this wonderful hotel.

GREAT FIND !!!

Room Tip: Try the lofts or the lodges if you want more room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is an unusual one, it could be that I have been spoilt and perhaps very lucky when choosing other hotels but I wasn't that impressed unfortunately.

We didn't really get off on the right foot from the start since the reception wasn't a friendly one. It felt as if we were treated a bit like second class citizens because we had booked through an agency. Secondly, when we arrived to the room I was incredibly surprised at how small it was. We had a room with a balcony facing the piste, the bed was very very hard (I have a bad back) and the storage facilities were severly lacking. It was nicely decorated though and the bathroom was nice too and it had a separate toilet. However, compared to other skiresort hotels that I have visited this certainly wasn't one that stood out, it was just "nice".

The ski room is large and airy which is great but I would have thought that the staff there, if they insist on taking your boots straight away, would know to close the skiboots before putting them away so that they don't lose their shape... It only happened once then I made sure to do it myself so I don't know if it was a one time occurrence but the chap looked rather surprised when I pointed it out to him.

The restaurant, it is... nice... if you have children it is excellent I would assume. The food is varied but if you have a food allergy I certainly would not recommend that you go here because it is a hit and miss even if you have called ahead. If you are a big eater I wouldn't recommend it either. As a matter of fact if you are not a big eater but you don't like/want dessert then I wouldn't recommend it either because the portions can be a bit small. Saying that, if you like desserts this is Paradise! they are outstanding!! As has been mentioned by others, the wine list is excellent and the somelier is very knowledgable and very helpful.

The bar and lounge area are, as mentioned by other reviewers, a lovely quiet place to relax after skiing.

Access to the piste... yes the hotel is right at the bottom of the slope but it is very important to note that once out of the ski-rooom you have to walk up some stairs with boots on, carrying skis etc, and then you have negotiate going up a short but steep and hazzardous slope in order to get to the flat bit where you can then put your skis on and skate to the Gondola. When you come back you have to do the same again but in revers of course :). It is not ski in ski out as I know it.

As for language barriers, yes it certainly does help to speak some French, I do, but there is always someone on hand who can help. Regarding the problem with booking a cab etc due to language diffulties I would like to say is probably not the language so much as the actual person... We had quite a few of those situations, where we asked for something and got a "no" as response, with the same person and I also heard the same type of thing mentioned by other hotel guests, and always the same person...

All in all I would rate this place as average, not good because I have been to so many better ones (at the same, lower and higher price) and not bad because I am sure there are much worse ones out there.

Room Tip: apparently loft apartments are lovely
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

great hotel for skiing. placed directly on the skipiste, with inhouse ski- rental. the hotel a small boutique hotel, with around 70 rooms or so. having a restaurant, terrace and gym and sauna. staff is really friendly, but not everybody speaks english, good value is you have half board, breakfast and dinner. dinner is great quality and relaxed atmosphere. only thing they could change is the speed they serve the courses...overall a great hotel, and im definitely coming back.

Room Tip: room with the balcony overviewing the piste. also andy for smoking
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Le Portetta? Share your experiences!