“Wonderful Week” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Portetta

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Courchevel
Hotel Le Portetta
You added Hotel Le Portetta to your Saves list
Courchevel 1650 | Saint Bon, 73120 Courchevel, France   |
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Courchevel
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“Wonderful Week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Portetta in March. We stayed in a family room with valley view on half board. In nearly all respects we loved the hotel and I think you will struggle to find a better option in 1650 if this is your budget.

Firstly the room on the first floor, was large. It had technically a valley view but most of it was over the area at the back of the hotel and the actual valley view was obscured by another building. That was a shame and those wanting a good view might want to check what else is on offer. The bed was two singles locked together and on the hard side with quite unyielding foam pillows. There was a good area with a tv and sofa which converts to a bed. The second bedroom was bunk beds and perfect for children. The bathroom was fantastic. Large with a big bath with marble surround and a seperate large shower. Very good water pressure so you can run everything at the same time with no problem. The loo was not in the bathroom. There was a good run of cupboards in the entrance with enough for a small family to hang clothes, ski wear etc. The room was kept beautifully clean and tidy twice a day and all the copious towels were changed in the bathroom.

We stayed half board and have absolutely no complaints on this front. Breakfast was endless with very few boxes un-ticked. A huge choice of cereals bread yoghurts etc etc and a menu if you wanted something hot. My only complaint was that the fruit juices were not fresh in the true sense. In the evening there was a four course dinner which, though not truly gourmet, was very good indeed considering the large number of covers they were serving. The fish buffet evening was a highlight.

Regarding the skiing - the ski room was the best I have ever experienced. Wonderful sofas to sit on while the brought your warm boots and a very relaxed service from Gilbert Sports who run the concession if you need to hire things. It is also a small shop if you need a pair of gloves or anything else. The hotel is not ski in ski out and you have a short walk to the bubble to get up to the top first thing in the morning. Coming back you ski right up to the hotel.

The most outstanding feature of the Portetta though was the staff who were, from my experience, consistently charming and helpful. We had no cause to complain about any aspect of the service throughout our stay.

So in my opinion and with very few reservations, this is a great place to stay in 1650 if you can get a room. I heard a departing guest trying to book a loft for the next couple of years of Christmas holidays with no luck! We hope to go back some day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

INCENSED - Just had to write a review on behalf of the Portetta after reading that completely awful review from the 'Glutenfree Swede'.

First off - I would also like to mention that as a family we have experienced some of the nicer hotels of the world too! and just by way of comparison for readers of this review I will mention some of them: Fairmont Chateau in Whistler, Berghof in Lech, Mandarin and Raffles in Singapore. I can no way agree with anything that has been said about this hotel; in particular the food (I am a foodie). I have in fact recommended this hotel based on the food and wine list as well as the sommelier who really new his stuff ! As for the unfriendly staff - I do not recognise that either; they are very professional and polite and serve even difficult customers with finesse, they are not however your best pals.

Having stayed at this hotel in the past and going back again in March 2012, I feel I need to clarify 'ski in/out. Okay maybe you can not ski right back to the DOOR but that is because they have a sun terrace in the way (humor) but you can ski back to that. There is a ski school directly in front of the Portetta for children, who I have seen ski down this little bump, as well as very nervouse first timmer adults. I concead that from edge of sun terrace to lifts is a 'skate' but it is only a 200 metre skate if that.

Last of all - the rooms are not massive, Fairmont style but we are in France and not USA and that is pretty standard. We had a slope side family room at the time (two adults and an almost sixfoot, messy teenager) and it worked for us. However they do have 'Lofts' available for those who prefer a little more room; which we had booked but had to cancel last minute (2011), so unfortunatly can not comment on them - we were going to have two messy, sixfoot teenagers in tow on that occassion - they could not of been any more understanding and helpful.

I do hope that my review has helped to put in perspective the supposed down sides of this wonderful hotel.

GREAT FIND !!!

Room Tip: Try the lofts or the lodges if you want more room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is an unusual one, it could be that I have been spoilt and perhaps very lucky when choosing other hotels but I wasn't that impressed unfortunately.

We didn't really get off on the right foot from the start since the reception wasn't a friendly one. It felt as if we were treated a bit like second class citizens because we had booked through an agency. Secondly, when we arrived to the room I was incredibly surprised at how small it was. We had a room with a balcony facing the piste, the bed was very very hard (I have a bad back) and the storage facilities were severly lacking. It was nicely decorated though and the bathroom was nice too and it had a separate toilet. However, compared to other skiresort hotels that I have visited this certainly wasn't one that stood out, it was just "nice".

The ski room is large and airy which is great but I would have thought that the staff there, if they insist on taking your boots straight away, would know to close the skiboots before putting them away so that they don't lose their shape... It only happened once then I made sure to do it myself so I don't know if it was a one time occurrence but the chap looked rather surprised when I pointed it out to him.

The restaurant, it is... nice... if you have children it is excellent I would assume. The food is varied but if you have a food allergy I certainly would not recommend that you go here because it is a hit and miss even if you have called ahead. If you are a big eater I wouldn't recommend it either. As a matter of fact if you are not a big eater but you don't like/want dessert then I wouldn't recommend it either because the portions can be a bit small. Saying that, if you like desserts this is Paradise! they are outstanding!! As has been mentioned by others, the wine list is excellent and the somelier is very knowledgable and very helpful.

The bar and lounge area are, as mentioned by other reviewers, a lovely quiet place to relax after skiing.

Access to the piste... yes the hotel is right at the bottom of the slope but it is very important to note that once out of the ski-rooom you have to walk up some stairs with boots on, carrying skis etc, and then you have negotiate going up a short but steep and hazzardous slope in order to get to the flat bit where you can then put your skis on and skate to the Gondola. When you come back you have to do the same again but in revers of course :). It is not ski in ski out as I know it.

As for language barriers, yes it certainly does help to speak some French, I do, but there is always someone on hand who can help. Regarding the problem with booking a cab etc due to language diffulties I would like to say is probably not the language so much as the actual person... We had quite a few of those situations, where we asked for something and got a "no" as response, with the same person and I also heard the same type of thing mentioned by other hotel guests, and always the same person...

All in all I would rate this place as average, not good because I have been to so many better ones (at the same, lower and higher price) and not bad because I am sure there are much worse ones out there.

Room Tip: apparently loft apartments are lovely
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

great hotel for skiing. placed directly on the skipiste, with inhouse ski- rental. the hotel a small boutique hotel, with around 70 rooms or so. having a restaurant, terrace and gym and sauna. staff is really friendly, but not everybody speaks english, good value is you have half board, breakfast and dinner. dinner is great quality and relaxed atmosphere. only thing they could change is the speed they serve the courses...overall a great hotel, and im definitely coming back.

Room Tip: room with the balcony overviewing the piste. also andy for smoking
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Great hotel with all the mod cons. Staff are very knowledgeable and polite. Best thing for us was having the ski room within the hotel basement. No need to go outside and keep changing your foot ware - Its all very simple just pop into the lift with your slippers on then go straight down to the boot room where you get into lovely warm boots and ready for a day on the slopes.
The food is good but you can get a little board if you are there for more than a week, it gets a bit repetitive however the wine list is cracking and there is plenty to choose from. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for its great location and facilities a most enjoyable winter holiday destination. Yes - I nearly forgot try out the Spa with its Sauna and Steam rooms a perfect way to soothe those aches and pains away!!

Room Tip: Try and get a balcony room facing the slopes!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at Le Portetta in January 2011 and had a fantastic time. The hotel has been completely refurbished to a high standard and could easily give the hotels in 1850 a run for their money. The food and service were excellent and the boot room was one of the best we have seen. If I had to fault anything it would be the size of the bedrooms. They were fairly small but considering we were out all day this was a minor issue. We will definitely be returning next year!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
victoria_gibbs, Marketing Assistant at Hotel Le Portetta, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
We really appreciate that you've taken the time to review us, it's extremely helpful to us and allows us to improve all aspects of the hotel on a continuous basis.
We're so glad that you had such a good stay with us back in January and we look forward to welcoming you back this season....hopefully you will have another enjoyable stay.
Kind Regards,
Victoria
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hotel has a great location, right at the foot of the slopes and the nursery ski school! The decor is very stylish but cosy and the rooms have an alpine feel to them. The lounge area is a great place to unwind with a cocktail or hot chocolate after a long day on the slopes. the outside decking area is a great sunspot for lunch. The boot/ski room is well equipped and the staff very helpful. in fact the staff overall in the hotel were very charming and efficient! The main restaurant was nice, and had a wonderful choice of food at breakfast and dinner. Overall a very happy experience!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
victoria_gibbs, Marketing Assistant at Hotel Le Portetta, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thanks for reviewing us here at Le Portetta - all of your feedback is very useful and we really appreciate you taking the time to do it. I'm glad you had such an enjoyable time with us when you came back in February.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind Regards,
Victoria

Been to Hotel Le Portetta? Share your experiences!