“Good value, warm welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Les Ancolies Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue des Gravelles, 73120 Courchevel, France   |
Ranked #23 of 52 hotels in Courchevel
Zurich
“Good value, warm welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Convenient for skiers since you can just cross the street and walk up to a ski slope that will take you to the gondola that brings you to Courchevel 1850. Likewise, you can ski right back down to the hotel. Considering how expensive everything is at 1850, this is an affordable solution. The hotel is modest but very clean and the staff is very welcoming and helpful. I asked the front desk where I could purchase a stamp for my postcard and they just gave me one. I also got news of a death in the family while staying there which is why, that evening, I did not feel like eating in the main area so they set me up with my own little private table near the fireplace. Very thoughtful. The bed and pillow were very comfortable and the TV had a good selection of channels. The only downside I see is that the ski room is tight. I was there in low season so I did not have to deal with crowds but I can imagine that it would be difficult if most guests were in that room at the same time to put on their boots etc. The food at the restaurant was very good and the waiters were very courteous. Great place for a short stay.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor so below the dining area. This means a bit of noise in the evening a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
funchal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

everything exactly as promised, very friendly hotel, people always here to help you, very good localisation close to the thelecabin, huge ski area , shuttle bus more than enough to avoid to take the car, food fantastic, hotel clean ... perfect for family ski vacations.
after the cheese tray, a lot of time I didn't see once like that, can't ask better, yes I forget the wine list was also nice :-)
must book with balcony and half board to enjoy at the maximum

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The hotel is a small 2 or 3 star unit. Rooms are small and furnished very sparsely. Do not expect a lot of space to put your luggae, and don't expect any nice furniture or creature comforts. Breakfast was decent, albeit the same boring stuff over and over each morning. Croissants and baked goods are delish though! My main complaint with regards to this hotel is the wi-fi and service. The wi-fi only reaches to a certain portion of the rooms so come 9pm half the hotel is in the lobby on their laptops trying to access the internet. The router configuration is also not set up properly so internet access even when you are in the lobby can be very hit or miss, not to mention it goes down periodically until you ask the receptionist to reset the router. The receptionist was also not very friendly when approached about internet connectivity issues and said a few times "but it seems to work for those guests", as she pointed to some ppl sitting in the lobby working on their laptops who may or may not have actually been on the internet. I realize this is not a high end hotel, but for the >US$360 I was paying during peak season, I think having working internet and a receptionist who gets annoyed at you when you ask for help would be not much to ask for.

On the positives, the croissants in the morning are great and the waiter in the restaurant is super cool! Location is ski in / ski out in courchevel 1550 which means you are OK but not great in terms of location ski-wise. You're not at the very bottom but you'll still have to spend a good amount of time going up to courchevel 1850 via lift each day.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
IsabelleCourchevel, Owner at Les Ancolies Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Dear Guest (sorry but I don't have your name),

First of all, I would like to say sorry if you did not enjoy your stay at Les Ancolies.
But please I would like to answer to some of your complains.
- Please note that the size of our rooms are over the normal size which a 3 stars hotel in France need to have. I agree with you that some of our rooms need to be renovated as we started to refurbish few but not all.
- concerning the buffet breakfast, you can find every morning fresh foods as Fresh fruits and 3 kinds of dry fruits, compote, yogurts, soft white cheese, pancakes, bread baguette and farmhouse bread + toast, 3 kind of marmalade and nutella, sausage, eggs, tomatos, salmon, cheese and ham (homemade) and fresh orange juice and apple juice.
So I don't know what do you mean by "boring stuff" but I'm sure if you have asked for somethingelse we would be happy to give it to you.
- concerning the WI FI, you totally right. We have realised that when there is more than 30 computer + I phone connected the link was very bad. That's why we are doing a new installation of internet borne for the next winter in order to have a very good internet access to all our guests.

I finish by the location of our hotel which is ski in/out with only 4 mn gondola to reach Courchevel 1850. The guests are usually very happy to spend only 4 mn in a telecabine to enjoy the 3 valleys area.
I would like to thank you for your time and your comments, it is always enriching for an hotel owner to have the impression (positive or negative) in order to improve our services.
I thank you and I stay at your disposal,
My Kind regards, Isabelle Person, Manager and owner
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

If you want to go to Courcheval and have an excellent skiing experience look no further than Les Ancholis. This is a well managed comfortable hotel with the bonus of a good restaurant. The rooms and public areas offer all that most skiers could wish for and the hotel staff are well above average in terms of the service they provide and the cheerfulness with which they provide it. Most staff are fluent in English. The hotel is almost ski in-ski out and only a short distance from the telecabine from 1550 to 1850.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I spent 4 days at Les Ancolies in February/2012 with my wife, in a half board basis, and it was great. This was one of the few hotels that would accept less than 7-day period of reservation in the area. Very good location in Courchevel 1550. The hotel is ski in/out, except for beginners, to whom its access may be tricky. It takes 2 min. skiing or 5 min. walking to the gondola which takes you to Courchevel 1850. The hotel is very charmy and clean. Staff is very helpful. Outdoors parking is free. WiFi is also free and works well. Our room was quiet but small. It had enough space for our stuff though. Breakfast was excellent, and the only downside I could point out was the coffee, which wasn't warm when served 2 out of the 4 days there. It makes you feel like having an "old coffee", which is not you expect in the morning, specially in a place where meals are the highlight. In fact, dinner was a must, 6-course style, delicious and very well served. So, I strongly recommend Les Ancolies, specially if budget is an issue, since Courchevel is one of the priciest places in Europe.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Friendly informality with prompt service. Concerned helpfulness - flexible and nothing is too much trouble. Very good food. Clean comfortable beds. Knowledgable staff with local contacts. Easy access to all of the 3 valleys for excellent ski-ing.

Room Tip: Ask to see the available rooms - no problem.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We booked by contacting the hotel directly via emails. Booking and check-in were a breeze -- everything exactly as promised. Our ski passes were ready and waiting and the rental shop was easy to find and very helpful. The rooms were spacious enough and extremely clean. The housekeeping staff did a great job - we never had to ask for fresh towels or services of any kind. We found the beds very comfortable and had great sleep. The only drawback with the rooms was the outdated decor, but that was a small thing and really didn't affect our experience to great extent (but new white duvets would make a big difference). The bathrooms were spacious and clean. The locker room was cramped as mentioned by other reviewers, however, we put our skis outside before going to breakfast and completely avoided the congestion later. The spa area was small but a good little place to steam or soak tired muscles. Especially enjoyed the little steam room. We never did notice any tea or coffee available in the afternoons, which would have been a welcome touch. The lounge area was very comfortable and warm. The drinks were expensive at the bar, but still a nice area in which to relax before and after dinner. Wifi is available throughout the hotel, but signal is strongest in the lounge. The hotel staff was always very cordial and helpful. The food was an event -- delicious, carefully prepared and beautifully presented. We all really looked forward to experiencing each night's menu and were especially grateful we didn't have to go out to eat. After skiing all day and poking around the shops we were not looking for night-life. A great meal and a good sleep was all we needed. We did take the shuttle bus up to 1850 once or twice in the evenings and found it very convenient. This hotel is ski-in/out, with a trail directly across the road - we never had a problem getting to the lift or home again at the end of the day. A few times we walked to or from the telecabine rather than ski so that we could run errands in town, and we found it an easy walk, even when carrying our equipment. We found the breakfasts more than adequate and once the servers learned of our coffee addiction the kept the fresh pots coming! We have stayed in more luxurious hotels in the past, but for our purposes Les Ancolies was good value and we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Les Ancolies Hotel? Share your experiences!