“5 Star Zen experience in the Alps” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Manali
Rue de la Rosiere, 73120 Courchevel, France   |
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Courchevel
London, United Kingdom
“5 Star Zen experience in the Alps”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beautifully appointed with great amenities. They have accomplished what is hard to do, which is being a great family hotel in addition to being unmatched for adults without children. Superb spa, great bar & lounge in addition to a civilised cigar bar with a fully contained ventilation system. Food to die for with attentive service.

Room Tip: All the rooms are more than nice, if one wants to be facing the sun then choose the rooms that are s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was the second time that we've stayed at the Manali. We were a family group of six. It is very comfortable and the staff are excellent. Special mention to Frank in the boot room who is incredibly helpful and really helps when children have boot problems. However you pay Courchevel prices so the comfort and service comes with a big price tag. It wasn't as good as our first trip for a few reasons: one of our rooms, a family suite, was at the back of the hotel. It was very noisy at night with late night revellers returning to their hotels/chalets in the early hours and snow ploughs and bottle disposal trucks in the early morning. Rooms weren't always cleaned so we had to request for the room to be cleaned after we returned from skiing, not what you'd expect. Small things make the difference between good to great. Refusal to put more than one bottle of complimentary water in a suite for 4 when you're paying E1400 a night is not an experience enhancing position. It's the principle more than anything else. Finally a little mystifying that I was charged over E100 extra when I checked out for using my Amex card. I travel alot and I can't remember the last 5 star hotel that charged me for using my credit card to pay. We won't go back but the staff are great. It's just that if you pay top dollar you expect alot.

Room Tip: Avoid being on the lower floors at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Greenwich, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Just back from a great week at the Hotel Manali. We were originally choosing between the Manali at level 1650 and some of the pricier options up at 1850. We definitely made the right choice!!! While still expensive - we certainly got our money's worth - without all the fake glitz. I have never had an easier ski vacation. EVER! The hotel is ideally placed right on the beginner slopes - and within a 2 minute walk to the gondola. The slopes were blissfully uncrowded - no lines, no waiting. We had two connecting deluxe doubles - one with a balcony - overlooking the sun terrace and the slopes. The rooms, though not overly large, were quite comfortable and cozy - and the bathrooms were very well designed. The hotel restaurant was quite good - and very pleasant. The morning breakfast buffet in particular was delicious. The equipment rental in the ski room was incredibly efficient and stress-free, skis were set out for us in the morning and the staff helped us put our boots on...... we didn't have to do a thing. They also had a great selection of merchandise for sale - picked up a super pair of gloves!

I had organized two private instructors for our children - one for my boys (ages 15 and 12) and one for my daughter (age 8 - never skied before - she was skiing blues by week's end). The instructors met us on the hotel's sun terrace every day. I split my time between both lessons and It worked out quite well. My husband is a non-skier and spent his days in the spa and exercise room. After our morning lesson - we met up with him for lovely lunches on the terrace or a stroll into the small town for some pizza. Most afternoons were spent in the indoor pool. And once the lifts closed - the kids took to the beginner slopes for sledding. Dinner was equally pleasant - and we topped off each evening with a game of pool. All in all - a very relaxing time!

One caveat - this hotel is ideal for a family trip - especially for families with younger children. However - I'm not sure it would be as relaxing for couples - as there are children EVERYWHERE! Level 1650 is also a great mountain for beginner and low intermediate skiers - and great for kids as well.

For us - it turned to be an ideal family ski vacation!

We were

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed for a week’s skiing at half term. As with previous years the service was fantastic, the staff (especially the boot room team) could not have been more helpful. The facilities are great, the pool was spotless, cleaning brilliant and lots of little touches (small robes for the kids, well equipped toiletries, lots of wardrobe space, etc.) make this a top choice. Ski in and ski out makes the location perfect.
Things we would change – some of the dinners were slightly over fussy, though yummy. The rooms beneath the restaurant can here the noise of breakfast if you are a light sleeper. Would not mind a kettle in the room for a cup of tea at night – though room service is quick.
We booked for next year on our way out! Thanks Manali.

Room Tip: if you can afford it go above floor 3
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Northamptonshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

A group of 6 of us went to Courcheval on Friday 27th January for 3 nights. We wanted a weekend skiing break so needed something which was convenient easy and had a touch of luxury. Hotel Manali more than met our requirements.
It is literally a ski in ski out hotel where there are a couple of drag lifts practically outside the door and then there is a gondola ski lift to take you to the rest of Courcheval.
The location of the hotel being in 1650 as opposed to 1850 didnt make any difference to us as we were happy to stay in our hotel for dinner, drinks etc. I went to the shop in 1650 whilst I was there by car (courtesy of the hotel) and 1650 looks like a quaint little ski village.
Reception staff were friendly, professional and helpful. Bar staff were again professional, friendly and happy to help. No one left you waiting for anything they were all very keen to serve.
The best service was from the guy in the Ski room. We hired our boots, skis and sledges from the ski room and the guy that helped us was brilliant. Literally helping to put our boots on every morning and take them off in the evening. This guy went beyond just doing his job.
I spoke to one of the guys that works in the hotel and I asked him whether he enjoys working there and he said he did and that this was his 5th winter at the hotel, I think this says a lot as all the staff are happy and keen to help.
We used the spa - pool, sauna, turkish bath etc were all brilliant and perfect after a day skiing. 3 of us also had massages and again great after a day on the slopes.
Only negatives would be the cost of the drinks and the temperature of the room. I couldn't work out how to turn it down but I didn't even ask reception so didn't give them the chance to sort it out.
We booked the weekend through Full Circle travel and can't fault their service. They are very responsive, professional and keen to get you exactly what you want. They sorted out the flights too. It made the whole challenge of finding somewhere for a group of us a breeze as they took off my hands. I'd definitely recommend using them.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We had a lovely stay in Courchevel 1650 and loved the hotel but it really was so expensive...but then so was everywhere in Courchevel! This isn't specific to the hotel and so isn't a complaint against it but the cost did dominate the stay - cans of coke were around 7 Euros, vegetable soup 15 Euros, cheeseburger and chips in their 'snack' section - 25 Euros...even the local Spa shop was ridiculously expensive - 10 Euros for a small toblerone bar! It felt a bit like we were trapped in a gilded prison and unable to get away from the crazy prices. A trip down to the lovely little town of Moutiers on market day was the absolute highlight of our trip - real France and full of character.

That said if you go to Courchevel I guess you know what you're getting into...so, putting prices aside:

Hotel Manali - the breakfast was fantastic, lots of little pots of fresh fruit so you can mix and match strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, kiwi etc Loads of cakes, breads, cheeses, yoghurts, a hot section, cereals and a great selection of fruit juices. The location is really good, right on the slopes and a great view of the mountains from the restaurant. The rooms are lovely - we had a family room with two bedrooms that worked really well and great little touches like teddy bears for the kids went down really well! The swimming pool was brilliant and usually very quiet. The spa was lovely too, I had a great facial there. There are really nice facilities for the kids - free rental on sledges and a great kids room with computer games as well as paper for drawing and puzzles etc

All in all it was a lovely break but for me just too expensive for what you get. I am all for luxury and like to feel I'm in the best place and happy to pay for a bit of pampering but although it was really lovely it was too expensive for what it was. This hasn't affected my score though as I feel this is an issue in general with Courchevel rather than just with the Hotel Manali.

So...probably unlikely to return to Courchevel but if I were to I would definitely return to the Hotel Manali.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

1 Week skiing with two kids (7 & 9). This is was our second stay as we thought it ticked all the boxes. Great interconnecting rooms for families. Staff that could not try harder to be helpful. Skiroom where they help with boots, carry skis, help the kids, etc. all with a smile. Kids clud with w-ii and games for all ages. Spa with a pool for the perfect unwind after a day on the slopes. Kids menues and adults menues that work for everyone, with food that is great Frnech cooking. Rooms are compact, but facilities good and very clear, with dial up movies in the rooms as well - good for kids.
It is expensive, but you do feel you get the five star treatment. We came away feeling very refreshed and relaxed.
If you do not like kids at dinner be warned this is a luxury family hotel and there are a lot of kids around. Some nationalities seem to favour feed early and put to bed, but others have very small kids at dinner quite late. It is not a riot, but some may not want the family feeling.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Manali? Share your experiences!