“Good, Not Great, Very Expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Prescott, Arizona
“Good, Not Great, Very Expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I will admit, we were disappointed with this restaurant. The menu was good, but not nearly as creative as it could have been and it was very expensive. I want to peruse a menu and have selections that make it difficult to choose, not back into a course because I must selection one. We dined at the sister restaurant on property and it was excellent. We were not up for a four hour dining experience. The service was excellent, however!

Visited July 2014

Stockholm, Sweden
“Good food but uncreative kitchen”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We visited the Albert 1er Restaurant whilst staying at the hotel which we very much enjoyed. The restaurant had a nice relaxed atmosphere with attentive waitors. The food tasted good but was not surprising or creative as one would expect from a 2-starred Michelin restaurant. We rather felt that the kitchen was stuck in the 80s.

The dishes were unbalanced both in terms of flavour and texture and was really not worth the price. The restaurant however offers menus consisting of 4 dishes where you choose from a limited range for about 65-85 euros.

Even though we had a nice visit we would probably not return to the Albert 1er Restaurant but rather eat out at some of the other restaurants in Chamonix, such as Le Bistro or Le Maison Carrier.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stuttgart, Germany
“Super lunch in a great setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My friends and I stopped into the Albert 1er restaurant for lunch after spending the morning up Aiguille du Midi, and it was a fantastic respite.

We started in the bar and had a drink while waiting to be seated. The staff brought out a small tasting plate for each of us which had a small glass with carrot and avocado foams, a spoon with a very awesome bite of smoked salmon puree that was perfectly seasoned, and some walnut bread. All were quite tasty.

Upon moving into the restaurant, they brought out another interesting bite, which was bacon foam over a quail egg with avocado puree under it. Very nice. We went for the daily menu which featured a very nice hake dish with a crust of olives, and roasted venison with gnocchi. Both of these were fantastic and were followed by a cheese and dessert trolleys. While my group knows quite a bit about wine, we opted for the sommeliers' recommendation for a local wine, which was nice.

We concluded the meal with a digestive in the garden, which was offered by the staff. While the restaurant is lovely with beautiful views out into the garden and the rest of the grounds, it was lovely taking the finish to the meal in the very peaceful garden. They even brought out additional chocolates on cold stones and trays of small bite size pastries to accompany the spirits. For a 60 euro menu, plus wine, I thought it was really quite a great value with all the extras they provide. I found the food superb and the service very good. Combine that with a fantastic setting and it is a winner in my book.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Definitely not worth two Michelin stars.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

When you go to a two star, you expect both exceptional service and exceptional food. The service was up there, but the food was disappointing. We had the menu du jour, which didn't really deliver well until the two last courses; the cheese and dessert trolley. Even then - two stars..? I expected MUCH more.

Moscow, Russia
“Not that great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stylish decor and from the first moment you enter, you have the feeling you have entered a posh establishment. Unfortunately, my first impression with the complimentary canapes was not very good. The first we called "nothing with a bit thicker nothing". Oyster okay, pastry fine. Then there's some kind of whipped something with salmon infusion and red caviar. Living in Russia I have eaten through my share of black caviar, so a few bits of red caviar won't impress me. Also, what's great about caviar is that it's lacking the typical fishy flavour and the main taste that registers with you is savoury with a hint of salt. So why spoil it with the taste of fish?

I had a menu which included a starter, two small mains and a selection from cheese and dessert trolley, so I avoided the insanely priced 50 and 60 euros starters. Moving on to my starter, red and green asparagus with two Parmesan shavings and a bit of crunchy ham and some gnocchi, I wasn't impressed. It lacked the taste that makes you want to eat and keep eating. (I fondly remembered the goat cheese tagliatelle from Le Panier de 4 Saisons that did just that for me for 13 euros the previous evening.) The fish was nice, but once again, quite a plain flavour, I think it was cod or something similiar, nothing fancy. Finally moving on to my veal, now that was a lovely medium soft and delicious piece of meat. Served with small carrots, leek and spinach, I missed some nice sauce that would have enhanced the taste. Then came the cheeses, which I passed and gave them to my husband as I was already full by that time. I managed to try the dessert, floating island, that was delicious, as well as the small bites that came by the end. My husband and father-in-law had lamb's leg with white beans that they really enjoyed, saying it was delicious.

Overall, if you want to have a good deal, go for some pre-set menus. I don't think the starters for 50-60 euros are worth the price you pay for them. Overall it was too long and we were tired and ready to go, but then there was the small dessert, etc. Also, I felt the service around our table to be a bit chaotic, I understand there was a sommelier to suggest and serve us our wine, but apart from that four different staff members rotated around our table. The bill couldn't have arrived faster.

So I wouldn't say this was the best meal I've ever had and I find it a bit overpriced for, maybe not the quality of food, but its taste, which I just didn't find succulent enough. If you don't mind your dinner lasting three to four hours, by all means go, but I would rather recommend Le Bistrot when looking for a fine dining in Chamonix.

• Visited March 2014