“Cheap - not cheerful.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pierre & Vacances Residence La Riviere

You added Pierre & Vacances Residence La Riviere to your Saves list
Pierre & Vacances Residence La Riviere
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   187 Promenade Marie Paradis, 74400 Chamonix, France (Formerly Maeva Residence)   |
Ranked #12 of 26 Chamonix B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Cheap - not cheerful.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I spent a week in this accomodation and as it was at the budget end of the market, I was not expecting much.
The room was a good size, the bunk beds were suitable for kids/teens and the kitchen was well equiped.
The bathroom was good enough, but don't expect a relaxing soak in the bath if you are over 5ft tall as you will only ever get, at the most, 50% of your body submerged at any one time.
The location is pretty good, a short walk into the town centre and and even shorter walk to the buses serving the various pistes, there are also local bars and a supermarket (although it is overpriced compared to the larger one in town).

However, I have to rate this accomodation as poor due to the simply dreadful sofa bed which was nigh on impossible to sleep on (and I am pretty good at sleeping where I lay). It was noisy, uncomfortable and I had to go begging at reception for a blanket as they only provided one each for the bunk beds.
By the sounds of it, the neighbours had equally unpleasant sounding sofa beds.
On check out day, I did actually notice a number of people with air mattresses so I assume that this is well known by more regular visitors to the apartments.

Check in was a disaster, the family in front of me were immediatly provided with a room (at about 1.30pm) yet I was told I needed to wait until I was texted by reception, with nowhere safe to leave luggage and ski/board equipment. I eventually gave up and returned at 5pm and was told by one receptionist that the room was still not available. Yet when I asked another one less than a minute later, the room had been ready for quite a while. Had I waited for the text message from reception, my family and I would have been waiting untl 5.30am, thankfully due to the bed, my sleep was not interrupted by this early morning text message.

When you consider that check out is at 10am, it is ridiculous that rooms are not available until after 5pm, and that there is no access to a store room for luggage, which is rather valuable once you take into account the equipment you take.

If you do stay at this place - for the sake of your blood pressure, family relationships and general sanity, TAKE AN AIR MATTRESS - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLEEP ON THE SOFA BED
And don't bother turning up before 5pm on your check in day!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Just back from a weeks snowboarding holiday in Chamonix.

We booked the Riviera Apartments though Crystal Ski and to be honest were not expecting much when we did as the price was so low for the holiday.

We were all pleasantly surprised by the quality of the accommodation here, there were 3 of us on the holiday and we were put in a room that would have comfortably slept 4-5. We were in room 205, I would recommend if you get the chance to book a specific room number go for either 105, 205, 305 etc as these are the larger rooms which have an extra bedroom and shower room (great for when getting ready to hit the slopes in the morning!). The kitchen was well equipt and the fridge massive for a SC apartment. My only gripe is that the bathroom floor had a tendancy to get VERY wet after a shower as the shower curtain was tiny. The heating worked and there was ample sheets and blankets for the beds. Remember to bring your own towel though as these are not provided and cost 8EURO's each.

The apartment is located a short 2 minute walk to the nearest bus stop and there are a few bars/restaurants only 5 minutes away.

Overall, we were very impressed with what we got for the money we paid. If you are looking for a more luxurious place to stay this is not for you but if you are on a tight budget, this place ticks all the boxes!

Would happily go back to the Riviere Apartments in the future!!!

Room Tip: Go for one of the larger rooms (104/105, 204/205, 304/305, 404/405...these are a bit larger and have...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have just spent a week at La Riviere and I consider it to be good value for money.
Days were spent boarding, and evenings out sampling the local restaurants and bars. After a day on the slopes the facilities were suitable enough for relaxing and showering before heading out. My only suggestion would be to consider taking a sleeping bag with you, as I don't feel the linen that's provided is enough. Also, take your own towel, otherwise you'll need to pay 8 euros to hire one. My personal experience of the staff, was that they were friendly and helpful and happy to answer any questions, bear in mind that it is a budget self-catering apartment block and not a Hotel!

In very close proximity to the hotel is the Jekyll pub which serves decent food and beer and with free Wifi. The staff are friendly and accommodating. www.thejekyll.com
Just behind La Riviere is another restaurant called Le Tetras which I found to be good. Both places are not central to the town so the prices are realistic, and i'd eat in either before heading into the livelier central bars.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The Maeva is a great value for money - in fact we were suprised how large the appartment was (good for 2, for 4 it might be ok if you spend the whole day skiing, but if you have to spend more time in the aparmtnet then it might be too small).
There is a locker room where you can leave your skis, unfortunately there is no room for drying clothes / boots.

Now the worst: The beds are a shame. I have never slept that bad, tried the sofa bed and the other bed, both horrible. Maybe you want to bring a sleeping bag and an air mattress.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

The apartments are perfectly pleasant and have a wonderful location with the river as a charming neighbour. It used to be a pleasure to stay here. I noted another reviewer sadly had issues with the receptionists so I wasn't alone and wanted to warn others. I had stayed in these apartments several times before and had a wonderful time and the staff were charming and helpful. In September 2010 (we stayed 2 weeks), there were all new staff at reception and also a new caretaker (individual with a beer belly who seemed to spend all his time talking to the female receptionist without glasses). The new receptionists were unpleasant and spiteful. I am sorry to hear the spectacled one is also still there - she gave us single bed sheets for the double bed and said these were the only ones available which was a lie as double sheets were magically supplied the following week. The receptionist without glasses was deliberately spiteful and for no reason. She gave me a form for a 2 day non-consecutive lift pass when I had specifically asked for a consecutive one - there is quite a difference in price (I found out the hard way) and deliberately misled me as to the start date also - the venom on her face was so obvious that I got up especially early to check the passes were still working - they weren't. Fortunately, I was able to remedy this problem with the issuing office before we went out for the day. Having to walk past this dysfunctional individual every day for 2 weeks knowing that she would go out of her way to be nasty ruined my stay. The manager who was decent deserved better staff. Best to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Reject room 1 as it is next to the telephone booth - and you will get the noise from the garbage tru...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011 via mobile

We have stayed here for two weeks and it suited us perfectly. Stay here if you want excellent value for money.The kitchenette is great with decent equipment and fridge is massive! If there are just two of you the room is big enough to keep the sofa bed down, comfort wise it is ok. It has been a very happy cosy home for us and the location is great- right by bus and very near town without being noisy. The shower is also lovely after a day skiing, but you do need an extra towel to mop up the floor!

• Stayed December 2011
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Me and my family (2 adults and 2 female teenagers) stayed here for a week.
This tourist residence benefits of a very comfortable location. It lays just right out (300 meters) from the city main street, out of the car traffic, aside the little river (the Arve), a few paces from the Auigulle de Midi funicular as well as from a commercial center supermaket and various shops and services.
The building is in a quite good state, the apartments are confortable, notwithstanding the simple furnitures. The corridors and the common spaces could be more luminous.
First night, we had a ground floor apartment, a little too dark and cold, and it was (luckily) replaced by a fourth floor apartment with a little balcony and an astounding view on the mountains (Mount Blanc, Aiguille de Midi).
Noticeable the presence of a dishwasher.
The sofa beds could be more confortable (and are a little too noisy).
Staff is quite gentle and helpful (they promptly changed our first apartment), even though they are not present all day (reception is open in certain hours). Quite surprisingly, no italian language is spoken although Chamonix is just over the border...
Parking is available (with a separate charge), but it was full at our arrival. So I opted for the near (50 meters) Parking d'Entreves at almost the same price (weekly fare) with the Ospitality Card.
Internet connexion (free wi-fi) is available only in the reception area and in the small relax space.
Price/quality ratio is definitely fair, if one does not expect too much.
We did enjoy our stay in Maeva Residence

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pierre & Vacances Residence La Riviere? Share your experiences!