“Perfect little find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in Chamonix
Midlands
“Perfect little find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I arrived home yesterday with my partner after a great weeks stay at the Hotel Richemond and feel I need to recommend the hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Chamonix resort.

This was my first time skiing, but my boyfriend is a an advanced skier. I had searched for months trying to find a good location and eventually decided on Hotel Richemond, Chamonix.

Yes the hotel is old fashioned but that really didn't matter as everything else was great. The staff were brilliant. They work long hours but always greeted us with a big smile and made us feel very welcome. Whenever we needed to know anything the staff were more than happy to offer there knowledge and advice and would ring around places for us if we needed to know a bit more.

Breakfast was a self serve buffet served between half seven and ten each morning. Lots of fresh baguettes, bread, jams, boiled eggs, ham, cheese, fruit, yoghurt, croissants and pain au chocolate. There was also juice drinks, water, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. The breakfast room looked out over Mount Blanc and was just a lovely way to enjoy breakfast each morning.

The hotel itself was clean and warm and the bed was nice and comfortable. I had a shower every morning and evening and the water was always hot. Clean towels were put in our bathroom each day and the room cleaned whilst we were out.

Hotel Richemond is a family run hotel and has been for three generations. The rumour of the hotel being the former Gestapo headquarters is true. We stayed on the fifth floor of the hotel which is where the prisoners were kept. The doors to the rooms on floor five are old wooden cell doors!

The Ski room is at the back of the hotel is an ideal place to leave your boots and skis for a ten euro refundable deposit. for the week. The ski room leads out to the back of the hotel which is opposite Chamonix Centre bus stop. So you can literally walk out the door with your skis and hop straight on a bus to pretty much any slope.

The location is perfect situated on the main pedestrian high street leading to every bar and restaurant in Chamonix.

I have read other reviews where people complained about the noise of The Pub which is opposite the hotel. I was only woken up once by the noise which was at kicking out time on a Friday night. This was really nothing to complain about.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and I woud definitely stay there again. Chamonix itself is a a very expensive resort so the bargain price of the hotel was great.

CHAMONIX BARS - All the bars are very student like and expensive. Expect to pay at least six euros a pint. The places I'd recommend;
The Pub is aptly named and is literally opposite the Hotel Richemond. Has a good crowd each night.
La Terrace occupies the best location in town and is just a five minute walk away from Hotel Richemond . Downstairs you can expect live music whereas upstairs has a more ‘cocktail’ bar-feel with comfy sofas.
The Jekyll Pub was my favourite place and about a ten minute walk away from the Hotel Richemond. A great spot to catch any sports event as large Tv screens. Comedy night on a Tuesday.
The Chambre Neuf, ten minute walk from the Hotel Richemond and is the busiest bar in town. Probably too busy for me but seemed to be very popular.

CHAMONIX RESTAURANTS - The Jekyll and Hyde is a great place to get some comfort food. My favourite place in Chamonix.
Le Petit Kitchen - awesome little cafe seating just 25 people. Went here for lunch one day and had very filling satisfying meal. Loved it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Very comfortable and convienient hotel. Staff are extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating. Great view of the mountains and good value.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

This hotel has it's own quirky charm which truly added to the enjoyment of our whole trip.
We stayed for 8 nights, in the RIchemond which is perfectly situated in the centre of Chamonix town. Just outside the rear of the hotel is where all the busses to the ski lifts depart from, Flegere, Brevent, La Tour Grand Motets etc. You can also walk to the Brevent Lift from the hotel.
The decor at first glance looks dated and it is but dont let this put you off- it is a traditional, family run hotel and it works. The staff are extremely helpful, funny and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel again. If you want 5 star then this is not the place for you but if you want a decent hotel in the centre of Chamonix at a decent price then stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed here in two room for three nights. Our first thought was “Jeez, where did we end up??” From the outside the hotel looks very old and not very well maintained. We were greeted very friendly in good English and went up in our rooms.
The rooms looked like they have never been redecorated. But on the second look you could see that they were very, very clean and we started to like the hotel and thought it actually had its own charm.
The mattresses unfortunately were worn out, but we were so tired at the end of the days that we slept better than we thought we would. The rooms did not have A/C so we wanted to sleep with the windows open. That was not possible because it was fairly loud outside (the room is in the pedestrian zone with a lot of restaurants and bars).
The breakfast buffet was great and had a good variety, especially for French standards.
The hotel offers private parking. The location was perfect, we did not need our cars for the two days.
All the people at the front desk were very friendly, but one woman was the greatest, I unfortunately don’t know her name. She spoke perfect English, her advice was very helpful, and her humor just cracked us up.
We would definitely recommend this hotel, and we would love to come back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Stayed in this hotel with my partner for 4 days and had a great time. Perfect location in terms of shopping, ski lifts (next to bus stop). Very friendly staff. Highlight of stay is taking a bath overlooking Montblanc! Breakfast included, important item in this not so cheap resort. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

A friend booked me into this hotel as part of a ski-ing holiday he organised and to be honest I was a bit sceptical with it being a 2 star as one of the most important things after a days ski-ing is comfort, warmth and a hot bath! Having read the reviews however I got a very good idea of what to expect and I was not disappointed. The Hotel is steeped in history and yes it is tired in terms of decoration, but the hospitality and service by the staff was second to none. Real french people who were a pleasure to see each day and could not have been friendlier, the breakfasts were great and everything was constantly replenished bearing in mind most days I didn't make breakfast until after 9am! The bed was very comfortable and the bath, an old cast iron bath, narrow but deep, dished up hot water every night which is not something guaranteed in a ski resort in many places I have stayed before. Yes if you cannot bear any kind of noise around you then you will have a disturbed nights sleep, but if like me you are exhausted after a good day's exercise then this is a fantastic value for money hotel. And despite the tired appearance of the internal decor, there are some great architectural features such as the staircase, granite sets around the windows, the oldest telephone I have ever seen (!) and the quality of cleaning in this hotel is the best I have known. It is basic in terms of accommodation but very very clean and very very friendly - I loved it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I booked Richmond hotel last minute as i had a mishap with a friend that could not join in Courchevel so decided to take a solo trip to Chamonix instead
The hotel is old but it so central that you are literally 5 mins walk away from everything in the town !!! They gave me a double room so as i was on my own so i cant complain about the space.. The reception is extremely helpful , on the night of my arrival they kept me for about 20 mins to explain how everything works in town , buses , trains , ski hire , lifts .. and it goes on..,,

the room was clean but basic , clean towels everyday ,,plenty of hot water for Apres ski baths ... the breakfast buffet was basic but plenty of food to stuff yourself before you hit the slopes

In the minus side the rooms could be a bit warmer as the radiators are very very old and he WI-FI connection (3 Euros for 8 days )works only in the reception, lounge- breakfast room (depends where you sitting) which is a bit annoying as you have to carry your laptop/ iphone and enter the username and code everytime you use it...

In a nutshell i will be going back as its GREAT value and you cant beat its location ...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Richemond? Share your experiences!